UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

I think it's neat to have the art in that big format, but then I woudn't have where to put it.
Not so sure about that actually, It might be decent for a poster, but the likelihood ripping it out (and also not damaging it while doing so) is kind of low. A3 is also not the most imposant big size for posters either. (And they were printed on both sides, so having nice gallery array would require buying it twice.)

PQ wise it’s indeed miles apart from the US/JP releases, if i’m not mistaken the two longest two hour movies are on one disc :oops:
5 and 7 were the longest and they put 5-7 on one disc. So yeah...
That and the fact you also get 7 CDs which aren’t in any other release.
Technically no, because the DVD releases also had them.

Actually, now that I think of it. I think back in the day there were quite some qualms about Garden of Sinners on BD even going by the Japanese release. Something like it was just a not so great upscale? And hearing a recurring excuse that the show simply wasn't made for BD resolution yet?
Not so sure anymore what that was about. It came around the BD was still very new and a lot of people were butting heads over the usefullness or -lessness of the format.

Lamp light is being bad lamp light....
Or some images I did several years ago:
(Didn't do images of the blandness of the digipack's inner side back then.)
There are three volumes for the 7 movies. (And they slapped the last three movies on one disc, which includes the two longest of them, too.) In terms of packaging the other two are following the same pattern. The outer logo on the sidewards slicover is actually removable, but still leaves the stripe and the red kaze logo. (It not as terrible on part 1, as it is on part 3, which is more blue based of a cover.) The inner logo however is printed on (See 1:20), which is looking totaly ugly as hell.
The worst part aside that is probably the spine-width. Since it's a thinny-digipack, it's kind of fragile for this to happen:
and as it never came in a bigger rigid box it's really hard to make out in the shelf with those tiny spines.

Or, alternatively there is of course also this, which would be completely impossible to oversee....

That was some A3 or something. Absurdly huge and I really wonder whatever the designer was thinking when this was penned out. An absolute ergonomic nightmare to store. Also, the holders for the discs were pretty much crap and some discs got scratched. I wound up taking them out and putting it in an empty amaray for safe storage (and it fit into the shelf, hurray), but then I had an empty amaray with no cover... For quite a while that was the only BD version in Germany/France to be had. As soon as the standards were announced it flew out.

Also neither version included the epilogue.

But pricewise it was still a lot less pricy than the JP one at the time (AoA's wasn't even out then) and the JP one itself had a pretty weird format, too.
Looks similar to what they did with S.A.C that wasnt too popular amongst anyone.
What I think they could do is, have you seen the fold out stuff AL does for something like claymore or the UE for escaflowne? They often do it for more than 2 discs

I also got the legend of korra and that's just a standard looking thick case with 8 discs all on their own separate plastic holders, doesn't make much room for CE stuff though, they could also release it in parts, though I don't think many people waiting for this release would like separate parts.

There are so many ways they could do it, but knowing @MVM they've probably already decided by now and are waiting for a good time to show how they'll release the new titles.
I'm betting many of the titles will be early AoL sales and GoS will be that huge A3 S.A.C thing and be marketed in a very similar fashion, possibly a zavvi sale again

Looks similar to what they did with S.A.C that wasnt too popular amongst anyone.
I think it should be even bigger than the SAC. (SAC was a bit bigger than AL UE if I remember correctly, but not that massively bigger than A4.)
Kaze Germany also did a huge thing for Haruhi. I once saw it in a shop. Strangely I never saw it online before and after that.

What I think they could do is, have you seen the fold out stuff AL does for something like claymore or the UE for escaflowne? They often do it for more than 2 discs
Fold out?

Uh, please no fold outs with more than three panes. They become really unergonomic to open. (And pretty fragile, too.)

Really Nice announcement.
I might go for the Bersek steelbook and Garden of sinners.
Little question about Garden of sinners CE, @MVM can we hope a clean artbox with no logo/BBFC/etc on the spine. like Girl last tour, Grimoir of Zero/etc. ?
Definitely look into it.

I held off on getting the Garden of Sinners DVD set in the hopes of an eventual Blu Ray release so I might finally get around to watching the films. I look forward to seeing what MVM do for the new set.
The BD set will be exactly the same as the DVD version, same style artbox, images, artcards and booklet. Just minus the logos on the spine [all being well and I can convince Tony to do so!].

The BD set will be exactly the same as the DVD version, same style artbox, images, artcards and booklet. Just minus the logos on the spine [all being well and I can convince Tony to do so!].
Sounds good to me, the DVD set looked very nice!

If I'm correct, Madman, who released the DVD version in Australia, never gave it a Blu-ray release. And if that's the case, I'm guessing the MVM BDs will be a self-author.

I have no idea why I thought it was Eromanga Sensei, that's my bad.
gFwPQ61l.png

Asterisk war (and kizu) has proved they can do their own discs of AoA. I do wonder if for GOS they can use the JP discs as iirc AoAs is just the Japanese discs

Yep, I forgot to specify that it was The Garden of Sinners I was referring to. I didn't edit it in time. My apologies.

Regarding The Asterisk War, I know that only the signs track is locked during playback, but in terms of the subtitles itself, are there any issues with timing, as I knew there were timing issues with their self-authored DVDs (Flip Flappers and Grimoire of Zero both can't display more than one line of subtitles at the same time), but I wasn't sure if that's the case with their BDs?

Last edited:
Have that French release myself, and got bless i have a high ceiling so it’s sitting on top of a book case, collecting dust actually. PQ wise it’s indeed miles apart from the US/JP releases, if i’m not mistaken the two longest two hour movies are on one disc :oops:
One upside of that large format is artwork in it which looks great. That and the fact you also get 7 CDs which aren’t in any other release.

Since Garden of Sinners is on my top ten list i also own the JP release of this.

Are those 7 CDs for the movie soundtracks, Stiivun? I did also pick up the seven JP DVD LE singles specifically for the seven soundtrack CDs packaged with them - but I also love the awesome and colorful artwork on the DVD boxes, so that is a big plus too... The DVD sets all go nicely together with the JP Standard Blu-ray Box (center) and Recalled Out Summer Blu-ray (far right):

gos9dvdwideb.jpg

... and, the same images used on the DVD boxes are also on the corresponding discs in the JP LE set:

gosle8.jpg

Does someone have an image of (or a link to an image of) the MVM DVD set, so I can see what the Blu-ray box will look like?

Last edited:
Are those 7 CDs for the movie soundtracks, Stiivun? I picked up the seven JP DVD singles as well, to get the seven soundtrack CDs - But I also got them for the glorious artwork on the boxes... They all go nicely together with the JP Standard Blu-ray Box (center) and Recalled Out Summer Blu-ray (far right):

gos9dvdwideb.jpg

The same images used on the DVD boxes are also on the corresponding discs in the JP LE set:

gosle8.jpg

Does someone have an image of (or a link to an image of) the MVM DVD set, so I can see what the Blu-ray box will look like?
IMG_20190508_160742681-01.jpeg

IMG_20190508_160755106-01.jpegIMG_20190508_160748676-01.jpegIMG_20190508_160817323-01.jpeg

As you can see I've never opened mine, probably never will now the Blu-rays are coming 🤨

Oh, so it is a thinpak DVD set - so will the blu-rays be in thinpaks too, or just 4 standard blu-ray cases? I actually like those clear thinpak DVD cases better than ugly blue Blu-ray cases.

Oh, so it is a thinpak DVD set - so will the blu-rays be in thinpaks too, or just 4 standard blu-ray cases? I actually like those clear thinpak DVD cases better than ugly blue Blu-ray cases.
Ooh controversial. As I can’t stand thin pack cases but they are better than those US blu Ray cases that have like some lock on them.

Back