UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Though honestly, the directing quality of S;G 0 isn't even 5% as great as the original S;G Anime, so a bit of banding might actually distract me from the "real" issues.
But I feel, I'd probably also want to buy it, but because some script parts were really nice. (Episode 8 chiefly.)
Even when some were awful and the overall script seems more like a weird patchwork of snippets somehow sewn together to not totally fall apart. (Also, out of all things, why did cleaning-Nae and Moeka-Boobs-groping have to make in in there when more plot relevant things didn't...)

Last edited:
Jukki Hanada was behind the Script and the Series Composition which is a blot in his 2018 as he also had the same roles on A Place Further Than the Universe and Bloom into You which are both top anime from last year.
He also did the first series!

I guess the director would have a hand in decisions like that, but it's only his third credit as a director. Plenty of assistant director and episode director roles though.

The VN is perfect the anime is not. And it is in certain decisions.
Still have yet to properly read (or rather watch the let's plays) of the VN, have only seen a lot of snippets and read about the general routes structure along with a batch of spoilers so far - I think the directing is still were the Anime does fail chiefly. The Anime seems to have some a huge bunch of diffrent worldines and tries to show something of all of that, but most importantly fails to differentiate that visually. (Episode 8 and parts of the last episode had some hints of at least trying.) I wouldn't even mind the omissions of all sorts of plotlines, when it at least plays with the confusion. (And especially with S;G 0's plot were the point is having myriads of tries of several people messing with the timeline and not even Okabe knowing about all of them the story has every excuse to even have that confusion and seeming discontinuity in the chain of events.) It's not like the original Anime didn't have a hand for psychodelic imagery...
(Actually it would already have just helped to put in some divergence number in between the rooftop, the war scenes and that military base phone call.)
The shortcomings of showing Okabe's depression is also something that the visuals totally fail of putting good emphasis on. (Like his pills, 2 frames and it never gets picked up again. Or his red pen, I didn't even realize it was the supposed to be the same as his precious on the white lab coat, until somebody pointed it out.) Doesn't help that episode 23 Beta archieves more characterization than the whole S;G 0 Anime just in visual cues. =/
(I'd love to know what it was that cause the divergence of director Hamasaki not picking up S;G 0 after 23 Beta. Is it the Orange Anime's fault? Or whatever he's doing now after that, as there is no info on that either...)

But for all what I've seen from the VN the collective breast operation all females must have undergone seems to be something huke's latest artstyle is responsible for. And the the aforementioned groping and military-cleaning Nae seems to hail from the VN as well. And let's not talk about that scene with Maho...
(Really, from his vast list of serious compositions It's obvious Jukki Hanada knows better than to pick scenes like this out of all things. Especially when A place further than the universer went on air the very same year and that script is flawless. Who was that entity who must have put him under a whip and said this, this and this fanservice scene must be in there? Probably the director again?)

Flawless I would say it got good till it left Japan. Parts of it in Japan were very average and cliche
Most of the later payoff later did build on it. It's acutally much more impressive to give seemingly cliche parts a greater meaning just by context.
(I mean even the whole Monogatari franchise essentially starts of with what could be summarized as "Teenage boy saw some panties and felt the need to buy some dirty magazines.")

btw.
Steins Gate Zero failure lies down to whoever bright idea it was to merge two timelines (routes)
It was just two? I though they chopped up a whole lot of world lines in there, along with some endings and the transition from PR to VA (which are the two main routes as far as my VN knowledge goes) in the Anime was about the only transition that had some more effort in visual cues and halfway enough explanation on hand to not seem coming out of nowhere when I was watching the anime with zero VN knowledge.

It’s two routes with each route having many different worldlines. But the things like their being two Christmas parties vastly different couldn’t be done in the anime as they made it “one route”for no reason

Well, the trying of that is not something new, even the old FSN tried doing that and got somewhat away for it for several years...
Still think even two chrismas parties could have been done with S;G, they could have blended that in with some faint memories or the like, but those dream sequences rely heavily on visual cues. Given that even Okabe and Amadeus-Kurisu's first meeting feels so cheaply one dimensional I don't really see this directing style managing that. (Though the consciousness-in-the-microwave scene at least tried it a bit.)
I think they may have actually tried implying that with the war scenes, but very much messed up its presentation. At least that is the only way I make any sense with continuity about how it goes rooftop, war, military base, rooftop, Okabe waking up in his bed and acting like nothing ever happened.

Steins;Gate 0 I certainly wouldn't call a flawless VN. Narratively, the branching routes make little sense; the presence of actual villains is handled a lot worse compared to the unseen malevolence of SERN that hangs over the original; there are a couple of new characters in 0 that serve almost zero purpose and could be excised without consequence; and inconsistencies with the artwork due to reusing some of the (much older) artwork from the original game makes it feel slapdash in spots. It is very good, but doesn't hold a candle to the original, IMO.

Regarding MVM's sale, how is their CE of Fruits Basket? Chipboard box? Anyone got pics? £15 is mighty tempting, even though I'll probably never get around to actually watching it...

Steins;Gate 0 I certainly wouldn't call a flawless VN. Narratively, the branching routes make little sense; the presence of actual villains is handled a lot worse compared to the unseen malevolence of SERN that hangs over the original; there are a couple of new characters in 0 that serve almost zero purpose and could be excised without consequence; and inconsistencies with the artwork due to reusing some of the (much older) artwork from the original game makes it feel slapdash in spots. It is very good, but doesn't hold a candle to the original, IMO.

Regarding MVM's sale, how is their CE of Fruits Basket? Chipboard box? Anyone got pics? £15 is mighty tempting, even though I'll probably never get around to actually watching it...
Yeah its a chipboard box and artcards

It’s a chipboard box (I assume-it’s hard cardboard) with an Amaray Blu Ray case and artcards inside of it. I’d say it’s well worth £15, must have paid double that.

I feel like AUKN is missing a thread about video quality in general, where people could post their observations for future reference. It would be especially useful in the case of upscales, which seem to vary massively. Feels like something @Professor Who could maybe turn his critical eye to, if he felt so inclined?

Sure! I'd be willing to, but only if people wanted one.

and yet the Professor still complains about every release in every thread in that anime forum. We would need to chain him down inside that thread and release the Kraken to get any peace, lol...

Not every release... just pretty much everything by FUNi. But, it's a forum about Blu-rays, so expect comments about the quality of releases. That's kind of the point of it, right? But, I will say this- if I bought every new release like most people there, it'd be worse. Just be glad I barely buy any new titles if you're bothered by my comments.

Back