UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
There were a couple of loli characters (one being the classic "she's a hundred years old" and the other was a Tanuki or similar in human form), but I can't remember how ecchi their scenes got. Not as much as the bigger breasted characters IIRC.
Yeah, thinking about it, that tanuki character could cause issues with the BBFC. Especially as she has an obsession with the other characters' boobs.

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Also "We've seen kid Goku's dick on TV" for comparison. Just sayin
Context is everything, like with the discussion around Bart's penis in The Simpsons Movie. Neither it or Dragon Ball had those happen in sexualised situations, whereas... when isn't there a sexualised situation in Yuuna?

ActionFaust

Death Scythe
While looking through the AOL site I noticed MVM used fanart to promote their release of Revue Starlight.
Screenshot 2020-09-18 123437.png
The original artwork
Pixiv link

I've noticed this a few times so I've wondered if the artists have given permission for MVM to use their works for promotional purposes? They certainly don't seem to be credited and in most cases companies simply just use key art from the actual series so it does seem pretty concerning for a company to be using fanart like this.

Oldmario

Adventurer
While looking through the AOL site I noticed MVM used fanart to promote their release of Revue Starlight.
The original artwork
Pixiv link

I've noticed this a few times so I've wondered if the artists have given permission for MVM to use their works for promotional purposes? They certainly don't seem to be credited and in most cases companies simply just use key art from the actual series so it does seem pretty concerning for a company to be using fanart like this.
it also bothers me that they never seem to keep stuff 1:1 in aspect ratio so it just looks squashed

also on a separate note, i don't know if i should get Girl in the Twilight now or wait and see if someone gets it in their mystery box at christmas and buy it then at £10

ActionFaust

Death Scythe
it also bothers me that they never seem to keep stuff 1:1 in aspect ratio so it just looks squashed
I mean sure their image formatting can be bothersome but stealing fanart is on a whole different level of yikes. Just because fanart is available on the internet doesn't mean it's free to use for marketing.

CommanderZx2

Kiznaiver
I mean sure their image formatting can be bothersome but stealing fanart is on a whole different level of yikes. Just because fanart is available on the internet doesn't mean it's free to use for marketing.
Aren't you jumping to conclusions there? I've seen artists who've made art that is sold as official products also post it on their pixiv page. Like many wallscrolls on Amiami you can find the original art also on pixiv.

ActionFaust

Death Scythe
Aren't you jumping to conclusions there? I've seen artists who've made art that is sold as official products also post it on their pixiv page. Like many wallscrolls on Amiami you can find the original art also on pixiv.
I'm not saying they haven't asked for permission but there have been a lot of cases where companies haven't asked for permission. It may have just been a case of MVM accidentally using fanart. Pixiv is also home to a lot of professional artists so it's not surprising that merchandise companies would commission art. I hope I'm wrong but MVM's use does seem a little suspect.