UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

As I know MVM staff do occasionally look through this thread, given that it's been over three years since the show aired, I don't suppose you can offer any insight as to what, if anything, is going on with acquiring Owarimonogatari part 3? You released the blu rays of the first two parts back in 2017, but other than the Kizu movies and the odd vague comment, it's been pretty much silence since then.

I know the Monogatari franchise is a long and confusing mess, with an additional side arc and series of mini web episodes also available, but Owa pt. 3 is effectively the end of the main body of work, so it's kind of wild that there's been no sign of picking it up. Looking at my bookshelf I can see all 17 disk sets that you've released, so stopping short of the final one feels kinda infuriating. Is there some kind of issue arriving from the publisher or some issue with financial viability?
Just a heads up that Owari Volume 3 is not the final release. Zokuowarimonogatari is a film released in 2018 iirc that concludes Final Season

Just a heads up that Owari Volume 3 is not the final release. Zokuowarimonogatari is a film released in 2018 iirc that concludes Final Season

Oh yeah I've seen it, and although I'm aware that this might be a minority opinion, I view it more as a meditation of the themes of the series, rather than a key piece of narrative. It's great to have as a victory lap for the franchise, but it definitely feels more like supplementary material next to Owarimonogatari pt. 3 wrapping up of both the main antagonistic threat in the show and having the cast literally graduate from the story.

The point is that if MVM are considering moving away from licencing the franchise, I'd like them to at least release the installment that presents itself like the official conclusion to the cast's current lives. If they release more after, great, but I don't want to muddy the waters by demanding things like the ona shorts. If they only release one more set I hope it will be Owari pt. 3

Personally at this point I'd accept getting confirmation, one way or the other

Oh yeah I've seen it, and although I'm aware that this might be a minority opinion, I view it more as a meditation of the themes of the series, rather than a key piece of narrative. It's great to have as a victory lap for the franchise, but it definitely feels more like supplementary material next to Owarimonogatari pt. 3 wrapping up of both the main antagonistic threat in the show and having the cast literally graduate from the story.

The point is that if MVM are considering moving away from licencing the franchise, I'd like them to at least release the installment that presents itself like the official conclusion to the cast's current lives. If they release more after, great, but I don't want to muddy the waters by demanding things like the ona shorts. If they only release one more set I hope it will be Owari pt. 3

Personally at this point I'd accept getting confirmation, one way or the other
Yeah from what I've seen on Twitter it definitely seems like a mix of Hanabee's mess and Aniplex being Aniplex that's delaying things. Still hopeful for the rest of the series to get released someday.

The rest of the Mono series is probably the most requested query we get and believe me, it's as infuriating for us as it is for you. The Mono series has always been a good seller for us, so we definitely have no plans of abandoning it. As mentioned previously we're continuously contacting Aniplex and getting heavy delayed responses [sometimes no response at all] - it certainly doesn't make things easier. Of course Covid-19 hitting everywhere this year hasn't helped either :/

We'd also like to release a first season collection that would have Bake, Nise and Neko Black but again our queries just get unanswered.

The rest of the Mono series is probably the most requested query we get and believe me, it's as infuriating for us as it is for you. The Mono series has always been a good seller for us, so we definitely have no plans of abandoning it. As mentioned previously we're continuously contacting Aniplex and getting heavy delayed responses [sometimes no response at all] - it certainly doesn't make things easier. Of course Covid-19 hitting everywhere this year hasn't helped either :/

We'd also like to release a first season collection that would have Bake, Nise and Neko Black but again our queries just get unanswered.
I think in regards to a complete Monogatari series: First Season collection, it's probably not going to be possible until Aniplex of Japan makes it happen. The closest that could work would be a Nisemonogatari & Nekomonogatari Black collection like the Japanese release but that's probably it for the time being.

At least you're fighting to acquire Koyomimonogatari, Owarimonogatari Volume 3 and Zoku Owarimonogatari as soon as possible.

Thanks for the candid reply. At least knowing there's still definite interest in the franchise puts my mind at ease quite a bit. I guess it's just playing the waiting game at this point. I would really hope this isn't the result of something daft like Aniplex deliberately keeping it incomplete to prevent overseas completionists importing the whole thing, because that would be a colossal **** move. Hopefully the reason is more benign than that. In any case, thanks for your reply and continued interest

Last edited:
while we're on the subject of licensing i hope one day MVM can get Dropkick on My Devil, i'm sure with all the crowd funding for S3 and the BD sales target for the S1 release they wouldn't mind a bit more money to fund more of the show

while we're on the subject of licensing i hope one day MVM can get Dropkick on My Devil, i'm sure with all the crowd funding for S3 and the BD sales target for the S1 release they wouldn't mind a bit more money to fund more of the show
Considering Season 1 is with Amazon I think it'll be quite a while until we get a Blu-ray. Also wouldn't put much faith in the popularity of the series considering crowdfunding and blu-ray sales speaks more to the series' success in Japan.

I would also like them to release Release The Spyce in 2021
It's weird for them to not release that given that we got Princess Principal here which is a spy series.

Good to get an update on monogatari at least, I’ve been tempted at just importing the final few sets (which is what I imagine is the reason behind the delay - Aniplex don’t want a cheaper release effecting sales)

Also on the subject of licensing, any desire from MVM to acquire the last garden of sinners movie from aniplex? Can’t imagine there would be any reason for them to delay that as it’s been oop for ages and unable to find a copy anywhere.

Good to get an update on monogatari at least, I’ve been tempted at just importing the final few sets (which is what I imagine is the reason behind the delay - Aniplex don’t want a cheaper release effecting sales)

Also on the subject of licensing, any desire from MVM to acquire the last garden of sinners movie from aniplex? Can’t imagine there would be any reason for them to delay that as it’s been oop for ages and unable to find a copy anywhere.
Something we're looking into for sure but again, it's Aniplex...

Back