Multiple Fatalities Confirmed in Kyoto Animation Fire

Moreover, all funds withdrawn are subject to standard online transactional fees, which total $89,539.24.

Bloody hell. I wonder how many individuals' contributions have been swallowed up entirely by transaction fees. 🤨

How is Kyoto Animation a charity?
As an organisation it isn't but the transactions go through a third-party which is able to classify it as a charitable cause.

EDIT - Looking into it a bit more I suspect that would've been applicable if it was gifted to a registered charity (be a temporary one created by KyoAni).

Allegedly they are considering to except them from taxes and the like, but at the time it was just "considering" (and haven't seen any update on that.)

EDIT - Looking into it a bit more I suspect that would've been applicable if it was gifted to a registered charity (be a temporary one created by KyoAni).
Seems like they are still figuring out things. Their lawyer supposedly has quite some experience though, so if that were possible it might have already been done. Their donations account wasn't set up all that immediately either. (And with a massive Sentai batch you'd assume they would pay some extra attention.)

But seems like a lot of Japanese people are also simply supporting by visiting their Free Recap movie in theaters.
(Or perhaps just buying digital images like I did, but there are no numbers on that of course.)

Bloody hell. I wonder how many individuals' contributions have been swallowed up entirely by transaction fees. 🤨
No one's contribution has been swallowed up whole. If you look at it that way, it almost feels like those contributions didn't help. The ~3.7% goes off each individual contribution. It's still a lot in fees, but if those contributions were made to the dedicated bank account directly, comparable fees would've applied.

Allegedly they are considering to except them from taxes and the like, but at the time it was just "considering" (and haven't seen any update on that.)
I was also wondering about the status of that. One thing that I could see being tricky is that if they decide to exempt them from taxes, I would assume that that only applies to donations, not to "donations" coming from purchasing digital content or visiting (additional) screenings of their movies.

I don't think that CR news makes it really all that clear (or at least to me it was midly confusing to read), but all the rest of the 35 deadly victims have been released by the police, names and ages. That's all reported in Japanese regardless wishes of the family/KyoAni or not.

(And that happened after there was a formal appeal by a dozen of media outlets to the police the other day: 12 Kyoto Media Outlets Request Release of Names of 25 Kyoto Animation Arson Victims )

I don't think that CR news makes it really all that clear (or at least to me it was midly confusing to read), but all the rest of the 35 deadly victims have been released by the police, names and ages. That's all reported in Japanese regardless wishes of the family/KyoAni or not.

(And that happened after there was a formal appeal by a dozen of media outlets to the police the other day: 12 Kyoto Media Outlets Request Release of Names of 25 Kyoto Animation Arson Victims )

I apologise if I have therefore made a mistake.

It's just the article I found rather confusing. (It's first saying 25 more were reported, but then goes on to say, that "Some of the families of the departed have asked that they’d like the names to remain private, so while the names were released to the media, only the ages of the victims have been reported so far." which is weirdly phrased for what I guess was meant to say that they are going to respect the wishes of family/KyoAni, but then kind of don't really mention the context. "five names out of the 20" is also looking like it's a typo...?)

Another update from the Sentai Gofundme account:
To the supporters and followers of this campaign,

Kyoto Animation has updated their official site confirming receipt of funds collected by this GoFundMe campaign, in which you have all played a part. That public update is viewable here: 京都アニメーションホームページ.

As we shared in an earlier update, the most recently completed transfer represents nearly all of the campaign funds, less standard transactional fees for online payment processing. In or around the month of December, we will disburse the balance of the reserve $100,000 on deposit with GoFundMe for final credit card processing/settlement purposes. The remaining portion of that reserve will be transferred to Kyoto Animation, and we will update this page accordingly.

An immense amount of gratitude is owed to everyone who contributed to this campaign and to all those who have supported Kyoto Animation in the days since the attack on July 18, 2019. Your love and support are instrumental in Kyoto Animation’s continued efforts to recover from this tragedy. We are humbled and honored to have been a part of this movement to help the families and loved ones of Kyoto Animation. The actions of all those who helped in the aftermath are a reflection of the enduring legacy of the creative souls who were lost and those who will bear the reminders of these heartbreaking events forever. Those creative souls inspired so many of us around the globe, and their works will continue to do so throughout time.

Stay tuned for further updates made through this GoFundMe.

Another statement from the Sentai Gofundme:
Dear Supporters and Followers,

We are pleased to announce that we will be transferring the remainder of the funds accrued by this campaign to Kyoto Animation and its representatives today, as described in our previous updates on August 20 and September 16, 2019. We will transfer the reserve using the same method as our initial transfer, and we will provide a final update to confirm Kyoto Animation’s receipt of the funds.

There is no combination of words that can completely describe the gratitude we feel toward everyone who contributed to this campaign. Whether you donated, shared or left a message in the spirit of love and kindness toward Kyoto Animation, your good intentions were felt, and the impact of your actions is far-reaching.

Thank you very much for your continued support of Kyoto Animation.

A final statement from the Sentai Gofundme account:
To friends and followers of this campaign,

We expect this will be our final update.

As we discussed in our prior update, nearly all campaign funds were disbursed to Kyoto Animation on November 21, 2019. That left only a small percentage of funds reserved for final credit card processing purposes. As of this writing, the final disbursement of reserved funds is now complete. Kyoto Animation’s official representative has confirmed their receipt. With that, this campaign has fulfilled its objective and reached its natural conclusion.

As this crowdfunding initiative comes to a close, we reflect upon the enduring legacy of the Kyoto Animation family and their body of beautiful, inspiring work — work that will continue to inspire people around the globe for years to come. We are humbled to have been a part of the effort to support them during an incredibly difficult period, and we offer our sincerest and most heartfelt thanks to each of you who donated and supported this campaign. Thank you.

Our hearts remain — and will always remain — with Kyoto Animation.

Back