Most Overrated/Underrated Animes?

Over-rated Neon Genesis Evangelion, possibly the most over-rated anime series ever.

Under-rated A toss up between Planetes and Seirei no Moribito,two great character based shows that defy the usual Shonen/Moe shows that are out there.

Death Note, Eva and Lucky Star are all series' which plenty of people love and hate with equal passion, so I don't think any of them can really be called under or overrated - The best description of them is probably polarising. The same seems to go for K-On, though it might be a bit early to tell.

Not it isn't, the people who hate it I can't speak for, but it doesn't deserve all the praise, either. Naturally, you'll find some way to disagree, liking Evangelion is no problem at all, but saying it's under-rated is silly.

I'm with Ayase on Evangelion. My own views on the series aside, I hear about as much criticism as there is praise for it. The point that Eva always gets a mention in debates like this is proof.

You could argue it's overrated by certain sources, but overall these days there's enough negativity to balance the hype. 'Polarising' is best way it could be described.

There are more hardcore anime fans that dislike Evangelion (for whatever reason) than like it. I don't understand how this can translate to a series being "overrated".

As said by Ayase it's in a polarised field, the bad and good from both sides neutralize one another so it's neither, really but it can be percieved as both in some extreme cases I suppose.

Any anime with such an high average rating, a large of number of fans and positive critic scores cannot be classed as under-rated. Only an idiot woud do such a thing. An over-rated title cannot be under-rated.

Niea 7 is under-rated. Phoenix is under-watched. Evangelion is neither. Eva is a series newbs are told to watch, just like Cowboy Bebop is. Newb friendly titles are all considered over-rated by default.

Wildcard said:
I'm with Ayase on Evangelion. My own views on the series aside, I hear about as much criticism as there is praise for it. The point that Eva always gets a mention in debates like this is proof.

You could argue it's overrated by certain sources, but overall these days there's enough negativity to balance the hype. 'Polarising' is the best way it could be described.

It depends entirely on your definition of under-rated and over-rated.H Also, you seem to be saying that a show is either underrated or overrated, with no middle ground. Evangelion fits in that neutral, middle ground I think.

Er, under-rated would mean something has a lower rating than an average of over 8/10 on MAL and less than a lot of top scores given to it by critics.

There's good reason lots of Evatards are fapping over the remake movies. I think the second movie is #1 in Japan right now. Under-rated indeed...

CitizenGeek said:
If anything, Evangelion is underrated what with the amount of people who hate it so passionately.

I don't remember using the word hate in my post,I've watched Eva several times both the series and the movies.I've liked them both ,by overated I will give you two current examples.In the current issue of Sci-fi now magazine they list Eva at #10 in the top 25 sci-fi shows of all time and only this month there is a new book out called the Rough Guide to Anime and who takes up almost the whole front cover but Rei Ayanami.

As Aion said Gainax are bringing back out the series but in movie format with better animation and is number 1 in japan .Not bad for a anime series that is nearly 15 years old so hardly under-rated.

It really depends on how much, or if at all, you like Eva. If you don't like it, then of course it's overrated. If you like it an awful lot, then getting #10 on a list of the best Sci-Fi makes it underrated. It's all perspective.

Back