Most Overrated/Underrated Animes?

fabricatedlunatic said:
@chaos: It's a reasonable position. Anime is, after all, a visual medium and therefore a show's art and design is important. I just think it's a pity that some viewers won't ever watch, say, Giant Robo because of its retro design (especially since it's so well animated).
Oh, sorry, I was mixing things up. Tetsujin 28 was known as Gigantor, not as Giant robo. I'be checked wiki nad giant robo is fairly recent (2007) is there a nice english release for it?

fabricatedlunatic said:
There's also a crapload of good 80s shows, such as Patlabor, Gundam, and Urusei Yatsura, that fans refuse to watch because they look "old".
In many a case, the limiting factors are availability as well as age. A lot of classics have been licensed, but don't manage to remain in print. A real pity, considering the excellent treatment some less-than-stellar shows receive today on the DVD front.

Zin5ki said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
There's also a crapload of good 80s shows, such as Patlabor, Gundam, and Urusei Yatsura, that fans refuse to watch because they look "old".
In many a case, the limiting factors are availability as well as age. A lot of classics have been licensed, but don't manage to remain in print. A real pity, considering the excellent treatment some less-than-stellar shows receive today on the DVD front.
That and most companes go to **** when releaseing them.

Looking at you, Manga, I saw what you did there with FoTNS.

I meen come on, you had Steven Blum as Shin and you still messed up!

The problem with a lot of classics are that they have either all be downloaded online in full, or they're subbed by fansubbers from like 2006. Look at Host Club, great anime, been out fansubbed for at least 3 years and it's only just got to the UK.

Shows that get a lot of hype in the fansub community need to be licensed by at least episode 4 to keep people interested and then released within 6-10 months in the USA and the UK to keep the interest flowing.

Alas, if only it was that easy...

I never liked Full Metal Panic, so for me, that is slightly over-rated.

Hmm, as for under-rated, I'd have to say that the Black Jack film never gets mentioned enough. I really enjoyed that film but you just don't hear about it.

Also, Gilgamesh is a highly under-rated series. That's gotta be top 10 material but like the previous, it never gets mentioned.

I guess you could add Boogiepop Phantom to the under-rated list too.

'Underrated' and 'Overrated' aren't words I feel you can apply to anime, since it's mostly sidelined by the mainstream and there aren't any credible figures out there to rate this stuff and have it stick. It's more a case of 'I'm sick of people talking about X' or 'I wish we'd talk about X more positively', and half the hate any title gets is simply about how popular a subject it is, rather than whether it's actually bad or not.

Case in point; the idea that any Gundam series is less or more rated than the other just seems trivial to me, since:

1) Anime is a niche interest. Mecha Anime is a niche of a niche interest. I'd be surprised if the 'rating' is being done by a population in triple digits.
2) Having watched nearly all of it, I conclude that there is no 'best Gundam series', just a 'least worse Gundam series' anyway :p

The only thing I feel has been overrated in Anime is Akira. It is credited with creating the western interest in 'Anime', but only in the widest of senses. It created a type of Anime fandom that has little if nothing to do with what people are interested in today, fitting comfortably into the existing comic-book / super-hero genres. It's a good, brainless action movie with some stunning art, and a memorable soundtrack, trying to drag itself of its otherwise lacking notoriety with some typically uninteresting and poorly written BS about life, the nature of energy and the rest of human existence. The characters suck, and it's not nearly as bad as the Ghost in the Shell movie on every count, excepting that the only thing GitS ever created in anime fandom was wrist-strain.

I "dismiss" Giant Robo because it has the most original title ever, is said to have a poor/simplistic plot and, going on the trailer, the main characters are made up of a school girl and a collection of generic shounen characters that have X-Men powers. I see nothing special to tempt me into bothering with it.

As for Kino, visually it's an annoying series because the DVDs themselves have scan lines of some sort. I think there's an explanation for the issue on Wiki, but it ruins the visuals of a nice looking series. And the talking bike doesn't kill Kino at the end, which sucks.

I find it amusing that anyone can attack Cowboy Bebop for being episodic and then praise Heat Guy J in the same post. You'd have to have be a bit stupid to hate one episodic series yet love another, and you'd have to have horrible taste to regard a run of the mill series like Heat Guy J higher than Cowboy Bebop.

I can see why some have issues with Cowboy Bebop - it has very little in the way of a main plot and, because of its episodic nature, the quality jumps around a fair bit. But, like has been said many times, it's a series you can't rate accurately until watching the ending, which bumps up the score by a point or two.

I do think the first FMP series is a little over-rated. The series was a mess, mixing anti-terrorism mecha with rom-com rather badly. Even worse, the stories included weren't very good, which made it hard to care about the action. There's a good reason the comedy and action were kept separate in its sequel series.

Gilgamesh is as average as anime can be. If anything it's over-rated by certain respected critics; critics who tricked me into buying the series. It starts with promise but soon becomes very boring and hard to endure. And animation was non-existent for the most part. The only things I liked about it were the volume previews and the female/sister character (she was hot and a voice actress I'm fond of).

In my mind, Niea 7 is probably better than Haibane. I can't say for sure without rewatching it, though. After finishing Haibane, I never quite understood why it's so loved. The lack of explanations about the plot and it having no conclusion pissed me off a fair bit. I can only assume that with Haibane a lot of people praised it simply because others did - an attempt at fitting in with the crowd.

I never got the attraction of Cromartie High School. I'm rewatching it now, and it's a great cure for insomnia. It occasionally raises a smirk, but that's about it, but I read on a board somewhere, probably IMDB, that it was the anime equivalent of Monthy Python. Probably an American, as they compare any comedy that doesn't conform to their sitcom standards as Mawnty Paythawn.

As for me, it only has one joke to it, and that one not all that funny. If monotonous introspection about the inanities of life is the epitome of anime comedy, then I'd hate to see the nadir. Admittedly it has a first time impact, a sheer delight at the novelty of it that strikes you as fresh and new, for about ten episodes...

But I'm telling you, rewatching it is quite a chore.

Just Passing Through said:
...that it was the anime equivalent of Monthy Python. Probably an American, as they compare any comedy that doesn't conform to their sitcom standards as Mawnty Paythawn.
Come to think of it, the above may well be a categorical overview of fetching accuracy.
The Goodies need to be on television a little more, I say.

I mentioned one of its characters in the other 'underrated' thread, so I'll mention the anime itself: Planetes. Never saw much hype around it, while the concept itself sounds extremely dull. When I watched it by chance though I found it to be one of the best hard sci-fi's I've seen in a long while.

For overrated, I'd say it would have to be Rahxephon. It wasn't terrible, as it had some pretty decent character development in places and occasional moments of inspiration. However, in no way did it live up to the glittering reviews I read on it previous to viewing.

Agreed on Planetes. It's a great show. As you mention, the problem is perception; it lacks an obvious hook. The premise of debris collectors in space couldn't sound any less interesting, and neither of the two leads is particularly attractive. Yes, that does matter to some.

The first episode bored me. The plot didn't strike me as interesting and, despite the attempt at showing the bond shared between the debris removal team, I didn't find myself caring for them. I was actually glad when the episode ended.

I picked up the set for cheap on eBay, so I will watch it at some stage, but it didn't start well, and that's why I can't find the motivation to watch it.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Agreed on Planetes. It's a great show. As you mention, the problem is perception; it lacks an obvious hook. The premise of debris collectors in space couldn't sound any less interesting, and neither of the two leads is particularly attractive.

It was actually this that drew me in, as at the time I was looking for something different to super powered shonen heros and moe girl rom-coms. While it requires some patience initially to get into, it proved to be a thoroughly rewarding series.

Aion said:
I picked up the set for cheap on eBay, so I will watch it at some stage, but it didn't start well, and that's why I can't find the motivation to watch it.

Like many animes the first episode hardly represents the full quality of series. I wasn't crazy about the opening either, but I reckon you should give it a chance. Your opinion may be reversed after a few more episodes.

Yeah, but... one episode. Planetes is one of those series that starts out episodic and relatively light-hearted in order to flesh out the world and characters. It steadily becomes darker and more dramatic.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Yeah, but... one episode. Planetes is one of those series that starts out episodic and relatively light-hearted in order to flesh out the world and characters. It steadily becomes darker and more dramatic.

Exactly. Rather than going for cheap hooks in the first episode like excessively dark foreshadowing or a fight where half the series budget is blown in 30 seconds, it opts for steady development. Something which pays off all the more as the story progresses.

The worst thing any TV series can do is fail to show its qualities in the first episode. Generally speaking, if the first episode isn't great than the rest that follow aren't going to be much better. There are exceptions, but most people aren't going to be willing to give a series a second chance. I probably wouldn't bother with Planetes again if not for me owning it on DVD.

Gungrave started with a poor opening episode, then switched to a The Godfather style gangster story. But, because the first episode and it being a video game tie-in, a lot never bothered with it after the first episode. First episodes giving a poor first impression and people dropping occurs a lot.

Aion said:
The worst thing any TV series can do is fail to show its qualities in the first episode. Generally speaking, if the first episode isn't great than the rest that follow aren't going to be much better. There are exceptions, but most people aren't going to be willing to give a series a second chance. I probably wouldn't bother with Planetes again if not for me owning it on DVD.

Gungrave started with a poor opening episode, then switched to a The Godfather style gangster story. But, because the first episode and it being a video game tie-in, a lot never bothered with it after the first episode. First episodes giving a poor first impression and people dropping occurs a lot.

Fair point. As you stated, Gungrave is an example of a bad opening episode leading into a great series. It doesn't help when an anime starts on the wrong foot, but judging something like 26 episodes based on one alone seems fairly rash. So long as there is a glimmer of something interesting or likable about a show, I'll usually sit through about 3 or 4 episodes before deciding to continue.

That said, I have dropped some series' after only one episode due to it simply being unbearable ('Regios' is a recent example) so I understand to a degree. If you really found nothing likable about the first episode of Planetes maybe it isn't for you, but since you own the set it would be a shame not to give it another chance.

I thought the first episode of GunGrave was pretty good... then again it was probably due to me watching Nightow's previous series, Trigun. Grimdark mindless action? It was rather refreshing after watching Vash's "Anti-killing" crusade.

Back