Most Overrated/Underrated Animes?

I got to admit, the first ep of Gungarve I was like, pfft, what rubbish. By the last episode I had tears in my eyes.

Gungrave is one of the best character driven animes. If you like a solid story, with 3 dimensional characters, then pick up the series- one of my all time top 10 series.

Most over rated anime - Any anime other people liked, but you didn't.

Most under rated anime- Any anime you liked, but other people didn't.

END CONVERSATION

hopeful_monster said:
Most over rated anime - Any anime other people liked, but you didn't.

Most under rated anime- Any anime you liked, but other people didn't.

END CONVERSATION
Why stop there? :roll:

Conversation and debate with others about opinions? Unnecessary.

END ALL FORMS OF COMMUNICATION.

Existence? Unnecessary.

END ALL LIFE.

Overated -

Cowboy Beebop - Not exactly a bad series, but it bored the hell out of me.

Eureka 7 - Started off so well and ended so shite.

Evangelion - I really love the show, but it certainly doesn't deserve all the adulation it's recieved.

Underated -

Planetes - Fantastic series that doesn't rely on a monster of the week or anonymous troopers blowing up every 5 seconds. If anyone dies, then it was someone that you actually had feelings for.

Beck - Going off the first 4 disks I really like this series, again it doesn't rely on explosions to keep people watching. I just wish that Revelaton would take their dicks out of their own arses and finish releasing the series.

Rune Soldier - Fantastic series in a similar setting to Slayers.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi - This series has everything you could want, it's sometimes funny, sad, serious, stupid but always brilliant.

I've gotta say that Mushi-shi is another under-rated series.

I'm a big fan of Cowboy Bebop but it is slightly over-rated.

I would say almost all popular mecha anime from the 70s and 80s are overrated with the exception of SDF Macross. Other than that most of them are extremely repetative and usually only get interesting in the last couple of episodes.

There are also other anime which have been overrated at certain times but have subsequently faded out. I'd say Escaflowne and RahXephon are two examples. Escaflowne used to be on the same level as Eva or Cowboy Bebop in terms of being an iconic series up to a few years ago. Now it's completely off the radar screen. Hardly anyone even recommends it as essential watching anymore.

I'd also say the the first Ghost in the Shell film is highly overrated. I understand it's important in terms of breaking animation boundaries but the actual story is pretty boring. By contrast I'd say Jin-Roh is underrated or at least doesn't get enough attention.

I was confused when the abbreviation "TTGL" was spouted out, as I didn't know what it mean. My cousin told me it stand for "Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan'. I actually watched one episode and... thought it was meh. But that was on the judgement of one episode. But if it's '****', then I'm not really going to bother.

Under-rated Anime? I will definitely agree with Aion on Niea_7 being heavily underrated. Sure, there isn't exactly a solid storyline, but in my words "Characters are the centre, not the story". I care about the characters and the relationship between them rather than anything else. But three episodes in and I kinda... lost interest. It's something I'd definitely put my PSP on (once I finished Casshern Sin).

Which reminds me... Casshern Sin is quite underrated in score-wise on MAL. In my opinion, it deserves... at least a 9 so far. It's a worthy reboot of the series, portraying a post-apocalyptic word. I like that the adventure takes them to so many different people, with different problems. The fact is that on MAL, people complain it's too slow or not too action-y =/

No wonder I hardly use MAL.

PS: I realised that in the original 70s series, he was a hero that protect mankind and tried to destroy the robot rulers. Plus he was a human that turned into a cyborg.

In the Sin version, he... was a feminine emo-whining character who cannot die. Still, It has Ringo <3

You don't listen to MAL, ever. Also Casshern SINS starts getting really bad at the end, and this is coming from someone who thought the first 12 episodes were amazing.

Lupus said:
You don't listen to MAL, ever. Also Casshern SINS starts getting really bad at the end, and this is coming from someone who thought the first 12 episodes were amazing.

I do kinda agree that towards the end, everything was rushed and try to impose philosophical meaning. But I rather enjoyed it. I enjoyed the ending and overall, I enjoyed the anime.

But there were quite a few plotholes, such as the rumour of "devouring casshern to attain eternal life" wasn't explained. It kinda made up with Luna, who was a controversial character who turned her nose up on those who 'reeks of death'.

I personally give it 8/10 myself. It was enough to make me watch it until the end. And the Casshern vs. Braiking Boss is a nod to the old days. It makes me want to watch the corny, 70s version, Neo-Human Casshern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lupus said:

I thought it wrapped up nicely in the end, just felt like it should have been at least several episodes shorter.

While some of the stories were genuinely thoughtful or emotional, others just reeked of pretention (particularly those in the second half). I got the impression of the plot moving in circles at times, while Casshern's tendency to repeat himself and what others say to him wore very thin indeed.

It could have been cut down to half the length or done as a few OVA's, as it stands it feels like all the better aspects of the show are diluted.

Wildcard said:
Lupus said:

I thought it wrapped up nicely in the end, just felt like it should have been at least several episodes shorter.

While some of the stories were genuinely thoughtful or emotional, others just reeked of pretention (particularly those in the second half). I got the impression of the plot moving in circles at times, while Casshern's tendency to repeat himself and what others say to him wore very thin indeed.

It could have been cut down to half the length or done as a few OVA's, as it stands it feels like all the better aspects of the show are diluted.

The first 12 episodes (or whenever Luna comes in) shouldn't be touched imo, as they were excellent. After all, it was about meeting different people and their lives. It's when Luna came in (or when the plot started to focus on her heavily) that it stretched it out farther than it should. Towards the end, when they try to wrap it up nicely, it was all kinda rushed imo.

Luna and Ringo made it bearable to last me through the end. I loved how Luna turned out, not totally a villain nor evil, but a person who fears death that it takes over her cloud of judgment. I've highly enjoyed Casshern Sins, it certainly made my trip back from London more bearable.

BlackWolf said:
iisan said:
After watching the lot, I definately find Death Note to be overrated.

Would you agree that first half > second half? Although its hardly the best ever in any case
Definately, I enjoyed the first half a lot more.
I kind of wish it'd been wrapped up around that time.

Aion said:
iisan said:

That does it - you're now the new CitizenGeek.
Why? Is CitizenGeek honest about his opinions too? :3

iisan said:
BlackWolf said:
iisan said:

Would you agree that first half > second half? Although its hardly the best ever in any case
Definately, I enjoyed the first half a lot more.
I kind of wish it'd been wrapped up around that time.

Same, would it of been that bad if Kira's world went off without a hitch of at the last hurdle L had forseen it happening and set something off which took them both down...I mean i would of rather seen that then what we got...especially if it meant no near and mello

The author wanted Kira to have a victory against his greatest rival. As a 'God' of the "new world", he needed to be shown as a winner before the end.

If you so desire a first half ending, watch the last 15-20 minutes of the second livre-action film.

The second half allowed for the inclusion of Mikami and team Kira. That, as well as Light's epic warehouse speech, made up for the flaws of the last half of the story. But, honestly, I think Madhouse made the last section of the story epic; almost as good as the first half. The worst part of the story is actually the Yotsuba business in the first half of the story - I came quite close to dropping the series after the Matsuda = Solid Snake episode.

Death Note is easily the most over-rated series, ever. People who claim it to be amazing and better than anything are faux intellectual or emo/angsty teen kids. The author himself said Death Note was nothing more than some cheap entertainment but people act like it's DEEP because Light has a selfish righteous cause, are you honestly telling me if you had that book you'd try and make the world a better place? lol no. I'd just use it... for the lulz.

Also, I thought Death Note WAS amazing (Along with Advent Children desu ^_^) when I was fourteen/fifteen, some of my very early posts when I was a new member say exactly that, but it's when I was a sheep who would probably have been in the Dark Knight crowd had it been released at that time.

tl;dr? iisan has the right idea, Death Note sucks, end of.

I really didn't want to post this, it's just GOT to be said. (Plus Aion needs to be put in his place on this "DEATH NOTE IS AMAZING" constant debate.) Enjoy.

Under-rated: Stellvia

Over-rated: Lucky Star

Probably not the most in either case, but the first two that came to mind.

Back