SAHO

Thousand Master
To keep it short and sweet. This will be a discussion thread for the Monogatari Series.
★ General talk

Announcements/News/Updates/Events
★ Artwork/Illustration
★ ...whatever else comes to mind, tbc for now ¯\(ツ)

Have fun! 🔥

What is the Monogatari Series?

AAAABZ08hBBb7y_7Q89K8jDLrln_Qzz3RzBDIe4Cee0Kd_FNStoFYISpxyKQMHH1fP3VfrOR1HPIwJHox4yGtQ3D6zF18r...png
second-season_47201014222_o.png

View attachment Blast Off.mp4
Monogatari Series Summary 「AMV」 by​
Balance

Monogatari Series, which is a Japanese light novel series written by Japanese novelist Nisio Isin. The story centers on Koyomi Araragi, a third year high school student who is almost human again after briefly becoming a vampire. One day, a classmate named Hitagi Senjougahara, who never talks to anyone, falls down the stairs into Koyomi's arms. He discovers that Hitagi weighs next to nothing, in defiance of physics. Despite being threatened by her to keep away, Koyomi offers his help, and introduces her to Meme Oshino, a strange middle-aged man living in an abandoned building, who cured him of being a vampire. Bakemonogatari is known for its stylish art and quirky characters brought to life by the animation studio SHAFT. Combined with Nisio's writing style that is rich with wordplay and various references to Japanese culture, the story of Bakemonogatari, while a challenge to some, is a rewarding experience.

Where to start? 💭

Recommended
Monogatari-Series-768x427.jpg
Monogatari-Series-Reading-Order.jpg
See more:

Last edited:
Yasss. You just need to change the "Fate series" bit up there!

Nice timing because I just ordered Owari 3 and Zoku Owari and I'll be getting Koyomimono next month so I think I'll start watching this sooonish...

Yasss. You just need to change the "Fate series" bit up there!
Thanks for the heads-up, I just copy-paste my other thread "Fate Series" template and noticed that error now.

Nice timing because I just ordered Owari 3 and Zoku Owari and I'll be getting Koyomimono next month so I think I'll start watching this sooonish...
Very nice 👍 I've updated the OP post for the anime and LN reading order for the other newcomers to see. I wish you a pleasant watch ✌️

Last edited:
Manga "Bakemonogatari" SHAFT production special PV
The manga version of "Bakemonogatari", a gorgeous special PV, has been completed, with the shaft production familiar from the anime "Bakemonogatari" series, and the gathering of anime staff and cast members!

A special campaign will be held to commemorate the completion of PV!

Manga : "Bakemonogatari"
Original : Nisio Isin
Illustrator : Oh! great
Character draft : VOFAN

Last edited:
I took a long break from watching/writing about Monogatari about 16 months ago, after getting completely derailed by Tsukimonogatari because it was so uninteresting. I decided finally to restart again where I left off, with Owarimonogatari part 1. I'm watching via MVM's blu-rays. You can find a link to my review in the "Creative Arena" part of this forum, I don't want to be spamming links in places they might not be welcome!

Anyway, I thought this volume was much better than the last. Ougi Oshino is so bloody creepy, the way she twists her words and makes Araragi do things. She sort of slithers around him, invading his personal space and although he looks so uncomfortable, he doesn't stop her. I don't really understand who or what Ougi is meant to be, so I hope later episodes give more clarification.

I took a long break from watching/writing about Monogatari about 16 months ago, after getting completely derailed by Tsukimonogatari because it was so uninteresting. I decided finally to restart again where I left off, with Owarimonogatari part 1. I'm watching via MVM's blu-rays. You can find a link to my review in the "Creative Arena" part of this forum, I don't want to be spamming links in places they might not be welcome!

Anyway, I thought this volume was much better than the last. Ougi Oshino is so bloody creepy, the way she twists her words and makes Araragi do things. She sort of slithers around him, invading his personal space and although he looks so uncomfortable, he doesn't stop her. I don't really understand who or what Ougi is meant to be, so I hope later episodes give more clarification.
Good to know I'm not alone in thinking this. I really dig the direction NISIOISIN has gone with Owarimonogatari onwards. It's much serious, darker and mysterious than the previous entries. Ougi is truly an enigma throughout the series that plays a crucial part for the Final Season. All will be revealed soon, enjoy your viewing.

Tormented by Ougi smirk 24/7 👍
IMG_20220609_180504.jpg

Fun coincidence, I just stuck the first disc of Bakemono on my ps5 yesterday - remains to be seen if it'll stay there! Not a lot of time these days.

I just finished writing about Owarimonogatari volume 2 (review posted in Creative Arena).

This was a really great story, possibly my favourite of the TV show so far in how it ties together so much of what went before, not in a contrived, artificial way, but with profound emotional complexity. I'll be moving onto Koyomimonogatari next, before the last section of Owarimonogatari and Zoku Owarimonogatari. I'm so glad that MVM finally got around to licensing and publishing these last year. Part of the reason I took such a long break from watching the Final Season was that it wasn't legally available to buy in the UK, and there was no way I was going to pay obscene Aniplex prices. Of course when they did come out, I was distracted by other stuff and I only got around to it now...

I wonder what from my obscene blu-ray/DVD backlog I'll choose to watch after finishing Monogatari? (Or maybe I'll embrace insanity and try a chronological Monogatari rewatch...)

Or reach peak insanity by reading Off Season and Monster Season 🐱
If only they'd hurry up and translate them legally! I've got boxsets of the first three book "seasons", but the English LN releases just seem to have sort of... stopped. Are they waiting to see if there will be further anime adaptations first? Surely Monogatari is a popular enough property that they can justify continuing? There's another 10 books left to release!

I've now watched and written about Koyomimonogatari. It wasn't that great, to be honest. A couple of the episodes were cute and funny, but most were pointless. The last two seem to be important to the ongoing plot, so it can't be completely skipped.

Started with Bakemonogatari last night .. how on earth are you meant to try and keep up with the subtitles at the start of the episodes (without pausing every scene)

Started with Bakemonogatari last night .. how on earth are you meant to try and keep up with the subtitles at the start of the episodes (without pausing every scene)
You do get used to it. But the flash screens with text on aren't super important as they are text from the books describing what's going on in the scene you're watching anyway.

Having said that it does annoy me this never got dubbed as it is a very dialogue heavy in general and its so visually interesting that's a lot to take in at first.

You're actually not supposed to read those bits on a first viewing, even if you were fluent in japanese it would be impossible to read

When I started, I'd pause and read them all every time. Then I realised they weren't really important so I've just ignored them since 😅

I finally managed to finish watching Owarimonogatari volume 3 and Zoku Owarimonogatari. I almost can't believe I've finally watched all 100 episodes and three movies of this very lengthy show. That's 20 separate blu-ray volumes (though some I could only find as DVD because it's so bloody hard to get some of these UK releases...) I'll have to spend some time to bring all of my thoughts about the series into a coherent whole, but overall I enjoyed my time with it, even if at times it was boring and sexually creepy. I felt the final season was mostly very strong, and I especially liked the creepy Ougi Oshino. Not a show I'd be able to watch with my wife, however. I know she'd hate it.

Back