Miscellaneous mecha discussion thread

Question: Is there a magical girl thread on AUKN forums? I'm no expert but might be a good idea for someone to make one :)
There wasn't a general mecha thread either until I started this one, so all it needs is someone to do just that. 😗~♪
[hint, hint]
How about a Girls with Guns thread, lol... 😁

*Using my definition of a Girls with Guns anime - as long as there is at least one scene of a girl firing a gun of some kind, it counts - So even Ancient Magus' Bride would be included, with the blonde-haired sorcerer's apprentice Alice firing off a round or two with a handgun... 👍

(SDC) Orguss (I think this had mechs? I remember enjoying what I saw of it)
Yes, Orguss is definitely a mech show, or rather two very different mech shows. The TV series is a mix of action and comedy, with a goofy protagonist who is a lot like Ataru from Urusei Yatsura. The OAV sequel is played completely straight as a war drama.

Yes, Orguss is definitely a mech show, or rather two very different mech shows. The TV series is a mix of action and comedy, with a goofy protagonist who is a lot like Ataru from Urusei Yatsura. The OAV sequel is played completely straight as a war drama.

IDK I thought the TV series was actually pretty serious? Like yes it has humour but it's far darker than I was expecting and dear god Ataru that gross drooling letch thank god the protagonist of Orguss is not actually that much like him! (I like Urusei Yatsura overall but when Ataru slobbers I wanna vomit like seriously he is irredeemable for that, how dare he try and force girls to kiss him especially when he has a mouth like that ew ew ew ew ew blecch... shakes fist angery reacc :< ).

Last edited:
The OAV sequel is played completely straight as a war drama.
how dare he try and force girls to kiss him
For me, personally, Orguss 02 has excellent design work but very serious problems in the writing department.

I (re)watched the show a few years back and posted some quick thoughts in Viewing Journal:

but I will say that I really empathise with Shinji a lot and can't stand it when people give him **** for being a teenager/boy with depression who doesn't always handle things very well.
I think a lot people will concur. I actually feel his reticence throughout is quite realistic. I mean as a young teen I would have been thrilled to get into the cockpit and pilot an F-14 Tomcat in imagination land, but if you actually posed that in actual reality, I think any teen grounded in reality would probably have a nervous breakdown....
it messed with my head in ways I couldn't really deal with). That obviously means it had an impact, but that's not always a good thing depending on what that impact is. I still love it but yeah :/
Completely agree with you there! You have a good watchlist there. I really, really enjoyed Exo Squad in my teens when it was airing locally but never to get watch all of it and I believe they never finished the overall story sadly. It remains in my Amazon list to import at some point heh.

I agree with what's been said about the exposition of Eva, how confusing it can be and how the Franxx story is better laid out. I'd just say two things on that subject: firstly, I think Eva is very ambitious in how many aspects it tries to cover but it's main focus is the characters and there it exceeds all my expectations: first class and honest introspective studies; secondly, the lore and exposition are also fascinating in that they leave you wanting more, speculating and investigating long after - that is a significant accomplishment in my books that years after you still figure out new things and remain interested in the lore, again despite that not being the primary focus. Or that's how it is subjectively in my opinion anyway.

Gundam 0079 did the whole traumatised mecha protagonist thing decades before Eva made it mainstream to a Western audience
I'm planning on trying to get into the gundam franchise in the near future so let's see! As with most things in human history, somebody, somewhere has done it before regardless of how innovative one may assume they are. Same for fashion fads cycling around I guess. Never anything wrong with having a go at making something you're passionate about regardless.

I almost forgot to mention the other thing that Gundam is famous for:

This is a Tomino thing in general. Ideon also has a lot of slaps, including this epic scene:
Heheh that ideon one is almost like live actors play acting.

The Japanese must have evolved strong cheeks after all those slaps they seem to enjoy dishing out, if anime are anything to go by...

I see that Godannar has been added to Hidive. If you're a fan of giant robots, giant boobs, or giant robots with giant boobs, you owe it to yourself to try this gloriously over-the-top super robot show. The opening tells you all you need to know:

I did not see this thread come into existence and now i'm wondering where it has been all my life. Not sure if any of you are going to join in this idea of Mecha March, but I'm using it as an opportunity finally to get through a lot of the shows i've been wanting to watch for a long time. Ie, Turn A Gundam, Patlabor, and several others I'm ashamed to admit i've still not seen.

Godannar is great, I've still to see the second season of it as I only managed to get time for the first, so maybe I'll get that done finally.

Not sure if anyone has been given Back Arrow a look this season, but it feels like a nice return of the super mecha-lite kinda show. It's not doing anything special, but it's scratching that itch that's been missing for so long as well. Terrible character names and all!

Not sure if anyone has been given Back Arrow a look this season
✋😁
I have.

I'm very much enjoying it. Like you say, it isn't doing anything that you probably can't find elsewhere, but it's good fun. I'm playing catch-up, so I've only seen up to and including episode 4 so far.

As soon as I read that Kazuki Nakashima (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill) was the writer, that was enough for me to want to see it.

Mecha March sounds like a great idea. There's the Land of the Lustrous simulwatch coming up here later this week, but after that I think I want to watch Code Geass again. 🤔

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the thread, dude! 🙂

I see that Godannar has been added to Hidive.
That opening is so kitsch it's wonderful! 😆
It feels like an ode to giant robot shows of the Seventies, theme song and all; would that be accurate for the show itself or just the OP?

Not sure if any of you are going to join in this idea of Mecha March, but I'm using it as an opportunity finally to get through a lot of the shows i've been wanting to watch for a long time. Ie, Turn A Gundam, Patlabor, and several others I'm ashamed to admit i've still not seen.

Not sure if anyone has been given Back Arrow a look this season, but it feels like a nice return of the super mecha-lite kinda show. It's not doing anything special, but it's scratching that itch that's been missing for so long as well. Terrible character names and all!
I'm having more of a Mecha 2021 so far, since I've been in a major Gundam mood for the last couple of months.

I've watched the first few episodes of Back Arrow, and I'll go back to it once I burn out on Gundam.

That opening is so kitsch it's wonderful! 😆
It feels like an ode to giant robot shows of the Seventies, theme song and all; would that be accurate for the show itself or just the OP?
It's a total love letter to old super robot shows, right down to a character who's a parody of the protagonist from Mazinger Z, but with a major rom-com element thrown in. In these days of single-cour story fragments, it's also worth mentioning that Godannar is a complete story with a satisfying ending.

It's a total love letter to old super robot shows, right down to a character who's a parody of the protagonist from Mazinger Z
[checks both series' cast lists on MAL]

Oh my god, they're both even called Kouji! 🤣
That's perfectly near-the-knuckle!

@orgun and I are doing Mecha March content on both Retro Mecha Podcast and my blog Animehead's Retroworld. Also @orgun is doing a mecha episode on Retro Anime Podcast, we're releasing it all under the banner of "Retro Mecha Anime World" RMP episode was released last week, my blog post is coming this week and I believe the RAP episode is the week after that.

Great thread by the way!

I'm rewatching Godannar at the moment. Recap episodes are usually the bane of an anime fan's existence, but I'd forgotten that this show came up with a genius solution to stop people complaining. The recap episode has clips from old episodes, as you'd expect, but with one difference: a naked woman has been added into the original scenes. 😍 🤣

Back