MCM London Weekend Licensing/News Thread

I know nothing of it but seems like a show is probably give a punt on especially as it's an anime limited release. Two more licenses still to come (and hopefully a q3 release schedule) today.

It's weird that Manga announced that they're releasing One Piece collection 9 - 12 next year, as currently America only have collection 9 out. I mean, as they're repackages in the US it wouldn't take much for us to be neck and neck or even a little further ahead than them, Collection-wise, and we're still not even half way through this year, leaving plenty of time to FUNimation to release the other sets in the US. Still, nice to know we're catching up (in terms of the collections) when it wasn't that long ago there was no One Piece in this country at all.

Supposedly, MVM has licensed The Garden of Sinners for the UK, it was leaked by Aniplex of America at their panel.

UK Anime Network tweeted about it here.

I can't confirm this new myself, I didn't go to the Comic Con this year.

UK Anime Network has also posted this new article in conjunction with this announcement - click here.

The article states DVD Only due to the following: " The Japanese production committee is currently blocking any outright Blu-Ray releases for other territories beyond an expensive imported Japanese edition" ..which sucks balls but nothing that can be done about it, I'm glad that its at least getting a release over here.

It will be released as a dvd collection, with films 1-8. AoA also said that their are no current plans to release the 9th and final film on the West at the moment.

Yeah its good and bad news at the same time. I will have to really think about getting it on not since its only dvd but since its one of my top5 fav anime, I will probably go and buy the DVD's... Not really sure, I am quite disappointed...

Kara no Kyoukai is something I constantly hear about, but looks like I'm gonna have to wait a lot longer to watch it if these holdbacks continue. AniplexUSA are putting more stuff on Netflix though, perhaps that could be an option in the future.

So thrilled they have Garden of Sinners! I hope they have a pretty artbox planned for this!
And do hope they are able to get the rights to the last movie!

GolGotha said:
So thrilled they have Garden of Sinners! I hope they have a pretty artbox planned for this!
The release is going to be the same as Madman's (now OOP) set.

Mangaranga said:
GolGotha said:
The release is going to be the same as Madman's (now OOP) set.
I'm curious, was the Madman release NTSC or PAL?

Anime Industry Panel:

MVM
- Kokoro Connect ~ DVD only
- Blast of Tempest
- Familiar of Zero
- further Patlabor OVAs [I think UKAN mean the TV series]
- Bunny Drop
- Familiar of Zero Series 3
- MVM Entertainment confirm that Bodacious Space Pirates will be re-released on Blu-Ray.

Anime Limited
- Full Metal Panic! (all of them [Season 1, The Second Raid, FUMOFUU]) for Blu-ray & DVD
- Psychic School Wars (Nerawareta Gakuen) - to be dubbed and subtitled

Q&A:
- Q: Will Bandai's US DVD commentary for The Wing of Honneamise appear on the UK release?
- A: No reason why not if Anime Limited can get it.

- Q: Will Free be licensed?
- A: Someone is sitting on worldwide rights and there's a holdback on any Blu-Ray release, so it's a difficult title.

- Q: The inevitable Sailor Moon question now - will it get a UK release?
- A: Andrew Partridge - Sailor Moon didn't work well on TV in the UK. He'd like to see it licensed though. Sailor Moon sold terribly for MVM when it was released on DVD in the UK. Many in the audience wouldn't buy half-season sets of the show.

- Q: Anime on TV?
- A: It's more likely to appear on Netflix than TV at this point, says Andrew Partridge.

- Q: Whose job is it to get anime available on US Netflix to the UK?
- A: "It depends on the title" is the simple answer.

- Q: Chance of a UK release of Sgt. Frog?
- A: It's complicated as it's passed through many hands.

- Q: Possibility of more Blu-Ray remasters?
- A: More likely for older series with suitable assets available, and it depends on Japan.

- Q: Will we see the rest of Bakuman released in the UK?
- A: Nothing planned at the moment, as it stands.

- Q: Chance of a Dragon Ball Z Kai release in the UK?
- A: Nothing to report at this time.

- Q: Any chance of a UK release of Chihayafuru?
- A: Jeremy would love to see it, but nothing to report.

- Q: Could we see a UK release of Hyouka?
- A: The odds are high of a release at some point, so it's likely a matter of "when" not "if".

- Q: Thoughts on subtitle-only releases?
- A: MVM Entertainment are happy to take on sub-only series after some recent successes like Bakemonogatari. Likewise from Manga Entertainment - if a sub-only release is worth taking a chance on with no dub likely then they'll do it. People asking about Bakemonogatari - we know that it has sold excellently for MVM, and Blu-Ray outsold DVD (which is very unusual).

- Q: Tamako Market or Chunibyou to come to the UK?
- A: "There's something in the works", says Manga Entertainment.

- Q: UK Anime Network "We're going to see if we can get some more format confirmations from MVM shortly."
- A: MVM confirms Familiar of Zero S3 is DVD and Blu-Ray, all other MVM announcements discussed still have formats to be confirmed.

Other News:
- Manga Entertainment are always looking at licensing older shows.
- Macross talk now - there's a lot of desire to get the franchise out here, but it's very complicated.
- Matt Kamen is grilling Aniplex of America on a UK Blu-Ray release of Garden of Sinners. No real response beyond a maybe for the future.
- Manga Entertainment would love to release some of the Dragon Ball Z movies (including Battle of the Gods), but no news at this stage.
- MVM Entertainment are looking into more Blu-Ray re-releases all the time.

Yay! I'm so glad Bunny Drop was picked up!

Also heard good things about Blast of Tempest, so will probably pick that up as well.

Blast of Tempest is amazing, which is why I shall wait for a BD. Glad to see Bunny Drop in there.

Back