MangaUK license announcements ...

Shiroi Hane said:
If Jerome is visiting.. can we gag Conan for the duration? ^^:

A beware of the Cimmerian sign should suffice.

or is it a Beware of the Victorian era Detective author sign?

duh, anime site!

Beware of the midget Japanese detective!

ilmaestro said:
Perhaps a fundamental difference of opinion on the role of PR is the root cause of our disagreement, then. "Relating with the public" is not done on a direct basis by almost any company out there, there are channels by which information is passed.

Not entirely true, with the spreading of social network influence, more and more companies are trying more direct levels of interaction. Maybe not on a 1to1 basis, no, but many are trying to get a more direct channel through to their customers. (been doing my dissertation on the internet as a marketing tool :p)

I completely disagree with your terminology then, and I think to use it in that way clouds the issue. Twitter/Facebook etc are deceptively old fashioned forms of mass-PR. It is not direct (where you go to the customer), it is the ultimate form of "put stuff out there > allow customer to come to you".

I would be interested to read more of your dissertation, though!

ayase said:
ilmaestro said:
Also the level of "naivete" that you are showing by thinking that "being wrong" would shut anyone up on the internet... :p
Ha! Perhaps "shut up" was a poor choice of words; "make anything they say after that point an exercise in pissing into the wind" might have been better.
Well, hopefully, yes. :)

vashdaman said:
But if you lurk (or indeed post) on some gaming forums you do see some cases of members of development teams addressing and consulting with the fans. Sure, most of them are mostly there on a personal basis
This can not be dismissed with a blithe "sure", since this is my point entirely. They do not do it as part of their "job".

Either way, if they can handle it just fine I can't see why a dedicated spokespeople would struggle to keep a cool head on a forum. And if they can't, well then they should get a better spokesperson, surely? Obviously no one has to go on forums and directly address the passionate minority, but it's a sign that they really are passionate about what they do, and they would probably benefit from it as long as they could conduct themselves in an affable and professional manner (the opposite of manga's twitter).

Well, you could argue that it's just a sign that Jerome is too passionate about what he does, that he couldn't take reading the drivel that is posted in here and other forums at times. So it's at best a fine line, imo.

Shiroi Hane said:
What's wrong, afraid someone will ask a question that doesn't paint Manga as the best company ever oh god make them president for life of all existance?

ConanThe3rd said:
Shiroi Hane said:
What's wrong, afraid someone will ask a question that doesn't paint Manga as the best company ever oh god make them president for life of all existance?

I don't think he was being serious with that comment, mate.

ConanThe3rd said:
theirsbailiff said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Shiroi Hane said:

I don't think he was being serious with that comment, mate.
I was

Nobody doubted that =P

For real, It used to drive me mad as well. Now I've kinda accepted it and tend to imagine Conan with a pixellated face in real life...but maybe if we got him a smoother avatar he might mellow down too? It's having to look at that avatar every time he logs on that makes him so angry :p

vashdaman said:
For real, It used to drive me mad as well. Now I've kinda accepted it and tend to imagine Conan with a pixellated face in real life...but maybe if we got him a smoother avatar he might mellow down too? It's having to look at that avatar every time he logs on that makes him so angry :p

My God...it all makes sense now :p

His first unconscious anime watching memory, I should add, is developing a strange and impalpable fondness of the principle characters of Tanoshii Moomin Ikka.

He'll never admit it, of course.

Rui said:
IIRC the ill-fated Manga UK rep came in and almost immediately left just before I started lurking more regularly, and it was less hostile back then around here (no correlation, hopefully...). In terms of customer reach though I'm sure they get a lot more bang for their buck broadcasting on Twitter/FB than coming to a quiet forum. Andrew seems a lot more personally involved in the fandom itself, in a way which is quite rare.

Actually, I seem to recall that not long ago there was a post (presumably by Jerome) on Facebook where he mentioned wanting to respond to a thread on here or one of the other UK forums but for some reason he wasn't able to log in. If I could understand the new Facebook layouts at all I'd try to find it again.

R

D'aw - I went through this and am glowing - you guys are awesome :). Actually owe you all an apology as I'm not on nearly enough nowadays as a whole across the net due to workload so it's hard to keep folks updated just now.

Hopefully someday soon this will change though :). I'll try to swing by more anyway - have caught up on this and other threads now too slowly but surely.

Yours,

Andrew,
Still around and kicking with lots more news soon :)

Zin5ki said:
His first unconscious anime watching memory, I should add, is developing a strange and impalpable fondness of the principle characters of Tanoshii Moomin Ikka.

He'll never admit it, of course.
Strange fact; never thought Moomin as japanese animated. It's blindingly obvious now but there you go.
Also found it dreadfully boring.

Someone could make some mad bank doing what Kix/Pop does and cranking it to 11 with the nostaliga shows.

Back