MangaUK confirm Strike witches uncut

ayase said:
If it has a higher rating (as per the dumb Code Geass & Paranoia Agent cuts) and their argument is that it could be impressionable to children, aren't they basically admitting their own ineffectiveness?
For the Paranoia Agent cut, I agree entirely. The Geass edit was slightly different in that the shot removed was "likely to encourage an interest in underage sex", which frankly is even more stupid.

memorium said:
You HAVE seen the show right?
Only the first episode. Unless there's a bunch of violent, explicit rape scenes later in the show (and if the BBFC didn't see fit to remove anything I'm guessing there isn't), I can't imagine why anyone would worry about edits. A lot has changed since the late 1990s.

Unless there's something I'm forgetting, Paranoia Agent and Code Geass are the only mainstream anime titles they've cut in what must be close to 15 years. I don't agree with either of those edits but it's not like they have the scissors out on a regular basis.

ayase said:
If it has a higher rating (as per the dumb Code Geass & Paranoia Agent cuts) and their argument is that it could be impressionable to children, aren't they basically admitting their own ineffectiveness?
Only R18 stuff can't be shown to minors. The rest simply can't be purchased by minors, or can't be seen by them in a cinema.

Yes the BBFC assume you'll ignore the rating and give 18 certed suff to 12 year olds.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Unless there's something I'm forgetting, Paranoia Agent and Code Geass are the only mainstream anime titles they've cut in what must be close to 15 years. I don't agree with either of those edits but it's not like they have the scissors out on a regular basis.
La Blue Girl Returns ban
and 1 ep of Urotsukidoji (OVA) got banned

Reaper gI said:
...the BBFC assume you'll ignore the rating and give 18 certed suff to 12 year olds.
Then they are utterly, utterly pointless and their destruction is now necessary immediately. For them to continue to exist for even a second longer is an insult to anyone with a functioning brain.

Reaper gI said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
La Blue Girl Returns ban
I don't think either of those qualify as "mainstream".

I'd like to see the BBFC only remove material such as real animal cruelty and keep **** like Bumfights off the shelves, but the woefully outdated Obscene Publications Act means their remit is much wider.

fabricatedlunatic said:
ayase said:
For the Paranoia Agent cut, I agree entirely. The Geass edit was slightly different in that the shot removed was "likely to encourage an interest in underage sex", which frankly is even more stupid.
Those grooming children don't exactly pay attention to age ratings, which is why that sort of stuff isn't allowed in the country under any age rating.

ayase said:
Reaper gI said:
...the BBFC assume you'll ignore the rating and give 18 certed suff to 12 year olds.
Then they are utterly, utterly pointless and their destruction is now necessary immediately. For them to continue to exist for even a second longer is an insult to anyone with a functioning brain.
Their ratings were designed for cinemas, where you can actualy restrict access to the material.
It's been like this since they started certing VHS tapes, hence things needing aditional cuts of home release.

ayase said:
Reaper gI said:
Mhm. Ratings for physical media are stupid. If they kept BBFC for cinemas, sure. But any half-decent parent can take away a kid's DVD/Video Game if they think it's unsuitable.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Reaper gI said:
La Blue Girl Returns ban
A dubbed Digimon episode got cut too. That got rated U or similar though.

Paradox295 said:
But any half-decent parent can take away a kid's DVD/Video Game if they think it's unsuitable.
That rarely happens though. Parents are unlikely to be watching their kids playing a game to make a judgement. Probably unlikely to see a movie with their kids these days, with so many having their own TV and DVD player now. So the age rating is what they base the judgement on.

But it doesn't stop some parents complaining to shop staff when they refuse to sell something 18 rated to a 12 year old earlier in the day.

JohnC said:
Paradox295 said:
But any half-decent parent can take away a kid's DVD/Video Game if they think it's unsuitable.
That rarely happens though.
Well that's the argument the authorities use anyway. And their answer to that problem is to subject everybody else to compulsory censorship because some people make sh*t parents. Yeah, seems fair. ¬_¬

People need to take responsibility for themselves, and their children if they have them. If people aren't willing to do so that's their problem, no-one else's.

Firstly, I'll just say that I am opposed to censorship, but age ratings, as a guideline, do have their place.

Secondly, what you want is unrealistic, and what you are doing is calling the vast majority of parents sh*t, not just some. I don't know if you have kids, but what you are expecting is for parents to do a days work, come home and do more work relating to family and the home and then find the time to screen everything their kids watch or play before allowing them to and somehow leave some family time? There's not enough hours in the day.

Back