MangaUK confirm Strike witches uncut

Ryo Chan

Symphogear
And give a 12 rating as well?

Either Manga and the BFCC haven't heard of the dangerous cartoons act or i'll actually have to give them a +rep on that

Once again, the BBFC show that they don't know their **** from their elbow, ridiculously inconsistent and arbitrary in their pronouncements.

Ah you must cut Code Geass for content. We have empirical proof that paedos can masturbate in one-twentieth of a second.

Strike Witches, naah, that's fine...

As it should be - it's a cartoon and all very light hearted. But if the Lucchini boob grabs and the copious crotch shots were not enough to send the examiners into a blind panic, I'm even more mystified at the Geass edit. Oh well.

I'd imagine Vampire Bund will sail through uncut as well.

Ryo Chan said:
And give a 12 rating as well?

Either Manga and the BFCC haven't heard of the dangerous cartoons act or i'll actually have to give them a +rep on that
There's nothing in any TV anime that should break that.
BBFC ratings grant imunity from it anyway, like they do for regular Obscene Publications.

They cut stuff well before it falls foul of Obscene Publications, see comments on Human Centipede 2's ban:this might even break obscene pubs, or words to that affect.

fabricatedlunatic said:
As it should be - it's a cartoon and all very light hearted. But if the Lucchini boob grabs and the copious crotch shots were not enough to send the examiners into a blind panic, I'm even more mystified at the Geass edit. Oh well.

whatabout the nudety in the baths? there must be a reason crunchyroll censored it

Don't get me started on headbutts in movies. The BBFC had a period where any headbutt would get cut because it was an imitable technique. Which messed up Attack of the Clones and The Matrix for UK purchasers. So whenever I see a headbutt in a movie, I yell "Imitable Technique" at the screen.

Last night I was watching Living Daylights on DVD. Rated PG, headbutt. Imitable Technique!

Seriously, **** and elbow!

Ryo Chan said:
fabricatedlunatic said:

whatabout the nudety in the baths? there must be a reason crunchyroll censored it

Japanese TV versions are censored to sell DVDs, not because the TV station won't show nudity, normaly at least. CR use the broadcast edit, they can't use the dvd cut, as the inevitable stream rips would hurt Japanese dvd/BD sales

Shiroi Hane said:
The still from Code Geass had no context - that is the main differentiator.
That was probably their reasoning, but I don't see what difference it makes. It's not like the fanservice in Strike Witches (the lingering Sanya crotch shot right at the start of episode 7 for example) has any relevance to the plot most of the time.

Not that I'm complaining; it's good to see the BBFC apply common sense on this occasion.

Lawrence said:
To be honest, Strike witches got rated R I think in the states but a BBFC rating of 12 wasn't entirely impossible.

Remember...
Japanese Agency for Cultural Affairs deemed Strike Witches as "wholesome family entertainment" in 2008.

5 mins looking on the box

and i can't even see a bloody rating :D

Ryo Chan said:
Lawrence said:
To be honest, Strike witches got rated R I think in the states but a BBFC rating of 12 wasn't entirely impossible.

Remember...
Japanese Agency for Cultural Affairs deemed Strike Witches as "wholesome family entertainment" in 2008.

5 mins looking on the box

and i can't even see a bloody rating :D

The MPAA only rates movies for US cinema distribution. They're an industry body, funded by the studios and so corrupt that they make the BBFC look like the epitome of perfection and genuine moral arbitration.

The MPAA ratings for movies carry through to the home video release, because it makes it easy for retailers to categorise. When it comes to other material, either direct to DVD, or TV programmes to DVD, or anime, distributors offer a voluntary code of conduct, giving a suggested rating for what they are selling. Hence TV MA, TV 14, TV PG on my Funimation discs. Suggested 13, Suggested 16 on my CPM, Geneon, and Bandai discs, a simple 7+ on my Nozomi discs. They make it up as they go along.

Yeah, US DVDs don't have to be rated, but certain massive retailers may not carry a release if it isn't, so they are often pretty much forced to rate them for that reason.

This is nothing new. Episode 7 of Hell Girl had so much effn & blinden going on it was easily a 15, possibly even 18, but it was rated at 12. I'm guessing SW was one of the last videos to check on a Friday afternoon so they slapped a 12 on it and headed out for the weekend early.

Mohawk52 said:
This is nothing new. Episode 7 of Hell Girl had so much effn & blinden going on it was easily a 15, possibly even 18, but it was rated at 12. I'm guessing SW was one of the last videos to check on a Friday afternoon so they slapped a 12 on it and headed out for the weekend early.
you can only get a 15 off swearing alone.
If there's racial or sexist slurs, that might get 18.

Ryo Chan said:

Why? That has no effect on how the BBFC rates anything. And either way you see no sex or genitals in SW.

Even the code geass cut had nothing to do with the 'dangerous cartoons acr'.

Project-2501 said:
Ryo Chan said:

Why? That has no effect on how the BBFC rates anything. And either way you see no sex or genitals in SW.

yet breasts are still allowed?

Ryo Chan said:
Project-2501 said:
Ryo Chan said:

All nudity is okay, read the BBFC rules.
Geass' issue was it was out of context.

Reaper gI said:
Ryo Chan said:
Project-2501 said:
Ryo Chan said:

All nudity is okay, read the BBFC rules.
Geass' issue was it was out of context.
I love this idea that the censors sit around and go "Hmm, gratuitous sexualisation of under aged characters? Fine, in context. One shot of a girl covering her bare chest? Out of context, banned."

Guys, shouldn't we all be celebrating that, unless the guy at the checkout is in the know, we won't look like sad perverts when buying this?

Back