Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ouran

• xxxholic

• Other

• Total voters
For the record I voted Negima early on because I really hated it (both series; I know they're quite different!). It's true that it's not my cup of tea but of the limited list of Manga stuff released lately, most of which I enjoyed, it came out bottom of the list quite easily for me in both interpretations of "worst". BBB may be even less enjoyable but as I've had all temptation to see it beaten out of me by the negative reviews I've read I thought it only fair to vote for the worst of those I'd actually had exposure to.

Most other people are voting for series I loved so fair's fair :)

The only thing I really like about Akamatsu (note: I'm not his target audience so it's unlikely my mind will be changed) is his lovely, soft art. Art which of course cannot carry over to the animated versions no matter how well produced they may be.

R

Rui said:
The only thing I really like about Akamatsu (note: I'm not his target audience so it's unlikely my mind will be changed) is his lovely, soft art. Art which of course cannot carry over to the animated versions no matter how well produced they may be.

R

Animez arts are betterz then manga artz ...................usually

at least one person actually knows what negima!? is so i'm happy god how I want pani poni dash and moon phase now

unellmay said:
ilmaestro said:
unellmay said:
Come on son, at least the rest of your trolls show some kind of effort and character.

But animez arts are better then manga artz usually

Thats not true, for starters consider the fact that a large selection of anime is based off of manga, so the artwork is based on the manga art. Also you have to consider the fact they are completely different mediums. How can it be fair to compare the artwork from something that is animated to that which is drawn for a book?

Arbalest said:
unellmay said:
ilmaestro said:
unellmay said:
Come on son, at least the rest of your trolls show some kind of effort and character.

But animez arts are better then manga artz usually

Thats not true, for starters consider the fact that a large selection of anime is based off of manga, so the artwork is based on the manga art. Also you have to consider the fact they are completely different mediums. How can it be fair to compare the artwork from something that is animated to that which is drawn for a book?

Wut? why not?
they both have people drawing them don't they?

It varies from series to series; the early Ah My Goddess artwork was terrible compared to the early anime artwork but of course the manga improved vastly after a short while. Then you have manga art which is more detailed and nuanced than simpler anime styles can manage (e.g. Blade of the Immortal). It's simply not possible to animate very detailed, sketchy artwork without a budget far beyond what anime series tend to see. Some shows get around this by having very elaborate characters designed in such a way as to hide the limitations of the medium. Others get around it rather less satisfying by making the characters hardly move at all, not naming any names...

Since I am a fan of the style Akamatsu uses in his manga, the anime designs look less appealing to me. There's no right or wrong in the case of art so if you prefer the anime to the manga that's cool too.

R

Love Hina is a more obvious harem, where the lead lives with five girls from the start, but Godai also has a very similar harem to that of Keitaro: the main love interest, an accidental girlfriend type, a little girl who looks up to him, and a drunk/slutty woman who lives in the same boarding house. All that's missing is a jungle girl who turns into an adult from time to time.

You (Fabio) said only the basic premise of both are similar, but the premise of a guy with little experience with the opposite sex living with the girl of his dreams and building his own small army of fangirls is pretty much all they offer. A rival for the dream girl gets thrown in, lots of drama ensues and, eventually, the loser guy gets the girl of his dreams. That's it. Love Hina is far more over the top but there aren't many major differences.

The whole widow thing was just an excuse for the story to last as long as it did. There needs to be a reason for the relationship not going well, and in MI that's it. I liked there being adult issues involved but it isn't as if making the series more mature was the main objective.

"I still love my husband, so you'll have to wait over 100 chapters for me to get over him and another 50 chapters for use to get together. Please wait for me!"

Just Passing Through said:
Not filler!

Still pissed about my "don't rave about Claymore's story unless you want to look silly later" post, eh?

/comforting hug

When I say filler, I understand it's meaning, mainly because it's obvious filler means to fill up space. So, obviously, it's wrong to use it when referring to series like FMA, where the story goes in a totally different direction.

I tend to unconsciously use it as a derogative term when talking about any anime that doesn't follow the original manga and isn't good. If you've ever watched Naruto, you'd understand why.

It's similar to how I describe old/yellowed books as used - I don't mean they've actually been used; I mean they could pass for a used book. You get me?

I can't judge Negima!? yet, like I've said. All I know is that the start was badly rushed and the fourth episode bored me, almost sending me to sleep. I haven't gone back to the DVD since then.

Of the shows on the list Jyu-Oh-Sei is probably the one I found least entertaining, Black Blood Brothers being slightly more so. But Negima!? was the biggest disappointment for me. I really enjoyed the the original series even with the fan service, as it had a decent story running through it and was not always played for laughs. I was looking forward to the re-imagining of Negima!? that was until I watched it. For me it was just too rushed trying to get Negi hooked up with all the girls.

Aion said:
"I still love my husband, so you'll have to wait over 100 chapters for me to get over him and another 50 chapters for use to get together. Please wait for me!"
Only it's the other way around. During a conversation in the second or third volume, Yusaku asked Kyoko to wait for him. And when, in the middle of the series, Yusaku thought he'd missed an important exam that would mean repeating a year, Kyoko said that she'd wait for him. This was Japan in the early 1980s, let's not forget, and clearly Yusaku didn't feel worthy until he was mature enough and could properly support Kyoko.

Anyway, we've been through this before...

fabricatedlunatic said:
Only it's the other way around. During a conversation in the second or third volume, Yusaku asked Kyoko to wait for him.

Kyoko only decided she wanted a loser instead of a winner because of the power of love towards the end. Even I remember that. She had a hard time deciding if she should go with the guy with the fit guy ladies' man with money or the guy with nothing but love for her.

But, regardless of that, my point was that the widow thing was a way to make the story last - no more, no less. If Kyoko didn't have dead husband issues, the story wouldn't have been able to last so long as two guys tried to win her heart from her husband. The author needed something to extend the story and Kyoko being a widow waswhat he come up with. In Love Hina it was Naru having a crush on her sempai and Keitaro needing to win her heart from him, in MI it was a dead husband in the way.

Aion said:
Kyoko only decided she wanted a loser instead of a winner because of the power of love towards the end. Even I remember that. She had a hard time deciding if she should go with the guy with the fit guy ladies' man with money or the guy with nothing but love for her.
And yet, near the end, Kyoko confessed that she'd been in love with Yusaku for "a long time". Which was abundantly clear to anyone reading. She was never romantically interested in Mitaka. During flashbacks Soichiro was portrayed as a bumbling idiot, and that's obviously the type of guy for which the poor woman had a weakness.

But, regardless of that, my point was that the widow thing was a way to make the story last - no more, no less.
It was to add emotional weight. I've already explained why the story was at least as much about Yusaku's journey as Kyoko's.

Man, this has gone off-topic. It's just as well that this is your thread =P

Yes, she always loved him, and was always going to end up with him because Godai was a loser destined to end up with the girl of his dreams, but - being an adult - she couldn't decide if she wanted Mitaka for what he could give her as well as him loving her. She didn't pick Godai until near the end. If she had picked Godai at the start like you're implying, there wouldn't have been a need for 15 volumes. Love isn't everything; money is more important.

If you want me to be argumentative, both Kyoko's situation and Mitaka were plot devices designed to get Takahashi money. Without Kyoko's issues and Mitaka, we'd be talking about a very short series indeed.

You're a complete MI fanboy, btw. Even suggesting Love Hina and MI are very different shows that, and I hate you for it. I don't like people who can't look beyond their own opinions and be objective. Damn Death Note haters, pissing m off with their existence, unable to appreciate art...

I can be objective. Maison Ikkoku is too reliant on misunderstandings to create tension and drive the plot. These things could be resolved with a two minute chat, but the characters are too stupid, proud, and stubborn. That last one sounds like someone else I know...

If she had picked Godai at the start like you're implying, there wouldn't have been a need for 15 volumes.
Sigh. Okay, let me explain this again. Kyoko was waiting for Yusaku to graduate and get a job. She said as much during his third year exams and reiterated it when he was struggling to find a job. Of course, she was happy to wait because it enabled her to defer making a commitment until she was ready. I'm not implying that she chose him from the start, but it was early.

If you want me to be argumentative, both Kyoko's situation and Mitaka were plot devices designed to get Takahashi money. Without Kyoko's issues and Mitaka, we'd be talking about a very short series indeed.
So? Death Note without L's impossibly good deduction skills wouldn't have lasted long either. If you take important elements out of any story you're not left with much.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I can be objective. Maison Ikkoku is too reliant on misunderstandings to create tension and drive the plot. These things could be resolved with a two minute chat, but the characters are too stupid, proud, and stubborn. That last one sounds like someone else I know...
Actually you just explained all romcom / harem anime shows.
Comedy is made out of the little misunderstandings that 99% of the time could be resolved with an explanation, but for some reason, one of the ends are never willing to listen.
I find it lots of fun anyway.

The setting on both LH and MI are incredibly similar, so I'd say that MI popularity in JP (long running manga, long running anime, films, etc) forced Akamatsu to go OTT to avoid all sort of comparisons, such as Aion made. Which would possibly explain flying turtles and a character that transforms.

On MI, it's a Rumiko Takahashi manga with certain elements there, that can be noticed in other of her works. Most noticeable ones in my opinion is her character design.
Why her female leads always look the same? Kyoko, Kagome, Akane...

So while the setting are similar, the type of comedy varies an awful lot. I can see some loving one and hating the other series depending on ow the first few episodes goes. I prefer Love Hina over Maison Ikkoku, simply because of the lack of commitment to reality that is present in LH.

chaos said:
Actually you just explained all romcom / harem anime shows.
Yeah, I guess you're right. But still, it's the one thing that I find slightly annoying about MI.

I prefer Love Hina over Maison Ikkoku, simply because of the lack of commitment to reality that is present in LH.
Oh, chaos. Just when I was beginning to warm to you as well. Seriously, though, that's fair enough. At least you acknowledge that under the surface they're very different shows. Unlike someone I could mention =P

Interesting thoughts on Love Hina's more fantasy-like elements.

Back