• xxxholic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Arbalest said:
sanji no 1 said:
Not its not! Hellsing is Gangsta!

as for negima, its not original. It takes a lot of older ideas and sticks to the general harem(albeit in a much larger scale, you could say) and adds magic and fights. The basic idea is the same as several things you could find nowadays.

But it has funky shaft style animation techniques

There's a few there I haven't seen but from what I have seen, I'd say Ghost Hunt. It wasn't all that bad but it seems a little too girly for me and I fell asleep at least twice during the series.

A few things:

People are not being objective. There's disliking a series because it's rubbish and disliking a series because it ain't your cup of tea. There's a difference.

If the people who've watched both attempted to argue why... Claymore is worse than BBB they'd look like an idiot because BBB only has a start; there's no middle or ending, and it's supposed to be a complete story. BBB, unlike titles such as Claymore, also has low production values, basic characterization, an average soundtrack and awful dialogue. Wildcard was on the money when he pointed out only the first four episodes are decent.

This is my fault for listing the top tier titles and not just the lowest rated, but I still expected people to at least explain the reasoning behind their votes. I suppose I expect too much of others...

Also, Negima. I'm all for people voting for it, but what's with people who haven't even watched it voting? Use common sense here - you can't vote for a title you haven't seen.

Arbalest said:
sanji no 1 said:
Not its not! Hellsing is Gangsta!

as for negima, its not original. It takes a lot of older ideas and sticks to the general harem(albeit in a much larger scale, you could say) and adds magic and fights. The basic idea is the same as several things you could find nowadays.

I Just relised what you said

I Said Negima!? was original not Negima in its self or I guess Negima!!

Again claymore has a seen it all before storyline premise
that never achieves anything special or remotely memorable
the fact it has the same amount of faves on mal as gintama shows hows how stupid people on mal are
(My opinion is always correct no exceptions)

But it does look nice I'll give it that

Hellsing has horrible production values a story that pretends to go somewhere but does not. some horrible accents in the dub lmao.
laughably pointless villains a terribly lead and worse of all it's not even scary
(which is a killer for a horror show try higurashi instead).
I know nothing about the OVAS though.

unellmay said:
the fact it has the same amount of faves on mal as gintama shows hows how stupid people on mal are

I'm going to say an anime I have seen and say Negima. I don't see how you can slate Claymore for having nothing special, yet quote everyone's post which says anything against Negima. I thought Claymore had a good story line once it kicked off, especially during the Teresa flashback arc. this arc, especially had something I rarely saw in anime. And it's rarely ever "fighting for the sake of action" in it (about 1 or 2 scenes maybe just to kick things off). Negima on the other hand is just... no. There's nothing good about it, and is full of the same generic fanservice found in a lot of other anime (Love Hina for example) and crap humour. It just took things from other anime series that made it popular and put it all together.

Hellsing has horrible production values a story that pretends to go somewhere but does not. some horrible accents in the dub lmao.

I agree, but then if you're going to talk about dubs, Negima...

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
unellmay said:

I'm going to say an anime I have seen and say Negima. I don't see how you can slate Claymore for having nothing special, yet quote everyone's post which says anything against Negima. I thought Claymore had a good story line once it kicked off, especially during the Teresa flashback arc. this arc, especially had something I rarely saw in anime. And it's rarely ever "fighting for the sake of action" in it (about 1 or 2 scenes maybe just to kick things off). Negima on the other hand is just... no. There's nothing good about it, and is full of the same generic fanservice found in a lot of other anime (Love Hina for example) and crap humour. It just took things from other anime series that made it popular and put it all together.

I agree, but then if you're going to talk about dubs, Negima...

AGAIN it's Negima!? not the one your talking about
none of those people have even seen it
and it actually seems like your no exception
since you didn't comment on the style of the show at all
which is a clear indication if any

They do mostly just fight for the sake of action btw

Claymore started good I thought but went downhill later on after the awesome but short Teresa of the Faint Smile story. Seriously she was too good to die the way she did. Even though she was not expecting it, she was just too fast to die

I liked the 13 episode hellsing. Even though it looked crap and the story went bad when it deviated from the manga I still liked it. Watch the OVAs Unellmay, they are good. Just annoying that they only release one or two a year, but I don't want them to rush it and mess it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually rather peeved about how overrated claymore is
at least here

While every seems to attack negima!? despite not seeing it take at least 3 votes away or in fact have seen the wrong one take another 2 votes
I just don't understand it it's a very good adaption very funny.
Dub is pretty meh though not awful just meh very Americanised if you care.

Can't comment on black blood brothers but it got a decent score in neo

The high point of Claymore is the Teresa arc. Excellent characterization and drama, as well as a shocking end. The low point is after the anime ends (following the best fight in the series, ignoring the filler finale) and it becomes just another shounen title, with deus ex machina power-ups and pointless fight after pointless fight.

In my mind, it's a clear 9/10. There aren't many titles with a Berserk feel around. Even the art, animation (excluding faithful to manga flash sword spamming) and music (pretty unique) are all strong points. Only people who drop it before the Teresa arc or shounen haters dislike it.

As for Negima!?, 4 episodes into it and I rated it 6-7/10. Not good. It rushes through the Evangeline story (which was decent in the manga), changing as much as possible in order to get through it quickly, and - as far as I know - it then jumps into filler hand. I don't like Negima a lot but I prefer the 7/10 first series.

People mentioning Love Hina: you ain't read enough. Negima is 7/10 worthy, but Love Hina is 9/10 worthy - it's on another level. Sure, it's a perverted comedy, but it has a whole lot of heart and likeable, well developed characters. In terms of characterization, Motoko is one of the best characters around, her transformation from an uptight girl trying to act like a man into a normal, far more relaxed teenage girl was handled excellently. When a series has character development of that quality, it's more than fluff for perverts to fap over.

Negima is about a ten year old magician being surrounded by 30 school girls. Love Hina is a romantic comedy that, for the most part, tries to keep a grasp on reality and focuses on developing a few core characters. It used the Maison Ikkoku formula and improved upon it.

Aion said:
In my mind, it's a clear 9/10. There aren't many titles with a Berserk feel around. Even the art, animation (excluding faithful to manga flash sword spamming) and music (pretty unique) are all strong points. Only people who drop it before the Teresa arc or shounen haters dislike it.

I'm neither of these things
I also liked negima to begin with so that
obviously makes difference

Actually wait how can you comment on filler (I hate that word)
When you have only seen one ep after the eva arc

I'm also very dissapointed that none of you seem to comment or care about the obviously vast selection of animation techniques they used

You know considering it's ANIMATION

Seems you can only say when it's good or bad in terms of being fluid

Claymore gets a 6 maybe a 7 out of ten

Negima!? ges a 8 or 9 (undecided only 13 eps) out of 10

I explained myself within my lengthy/endless Maison Ikkoku review, which you read.

(I'm aware you voted for Death Note, btw. I was online when you were looking at the thread for the first time and DN got a vote.)

Aion said:
I explained myself within my lengthy/endless Maison Ikkoku review, which you read.
That must be six months ago. I can't be expected to retain information for that long. Regardless, Love Hina is full of one-note characters and has the emotional depth of a Steps song. You are, therefore, WRONG!

(I'm aware you voted for Death Note, btw. I was online when you were looking at the thread for the first time and DN got a vote.)
Aww, I was waiting for you to get all indignant about it before confessing to my crime. Now you've gone and ruined it. (Not that it's dishonest; it's the only series in the list aside from Darker Than Black of which I've seen more than two episodes, and is clearly the worst of those two :p )

Neither can I. I only mentioned it because I remember I explained something I don't remember.

(Love Hina is a +1 version of Maison Ikkoku, with boobs and no widow. You ain't read much, you can't judge it... yo?)

If you'd watched more than four episodes of BBB, your vote would've been different. Talking of which, I think people are voting for Negima for the lulz now.

Aion said:
(Love Hina is a +1 version of Maison Ikkoku, with boobs and no widow. You ain't read much, you can't judge it... yo?)
8 volumes, innit, which is more than half the series. The cast were on some desert island and some giant turtles appeared and by that point I'd had enough. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first few volumes for what it was: a shallow fanservice harem comedy. But there's only so much of that I can take.

Man, Maison Ikkoku even did breasts better than Love Hina. Kyoko's nipples were on display at least a couple of times, while Ken Akamatsu apparently doesn't know what nipples look like :eek:

He couldn't draw nipples. Nipples are seinen content. Ai Yori Aoshi is seinin because nipples were drawn and no other reason.

Since I'm not a baby and I can't touch manga breasts, the lack of nipples wasn't an issue for me. The increased fan service made up for it.

I like Maison Ikkoku - at one point I put it in my top five for enjoyment alone - but it dragged on for far too long. If my memory serves me, I say Love Hina is a +1 because it handled certain elements better in order to keep the pacing flowing. The college angle in Maison kind of got left behind after the start (going on my bad memory here), where as in Love Hina it was used to connect K-something and Naru, and it worked.

I won't deny that Love Hina is a simple series, but it does have some very good character development and Maison Ikkoku isn't deeper. Kyoko being an indeicisive widow doesn't make it any more deep than a college rom-com without the widow element.

Aion said:
As for Negima!?, 4 episodes into it and I rated it 6-7/10. Not good. It rushes through the Evangeline story (which was decent in the manga), changing as much as possible in order to get through it quickly, and - as far as I know - it then jumps into filler hand. I don't like Negima a lot but I prefer the 7/10 first series.

Not filler!

Negima!? is a re-imagining, set out to be a completely different story from the manga. Inappropriate to call it filler when it's actually what's meant all along. The Negima!? has a whole lot better animation than Negima! It has the SHAFT magic applied, which with all the washpans crashing down on people's heads can be Marmite. I like it, I also like Moonphase and Natsu no Arashi. But while the characters are the same, the story has nothing, nothing to do with the manga.

Admittedly, the first time I saw it, on Funimation's web portal when it was still broadcasting to the UK, I loathed it on general principles, simply because it wasn't like the first season. It took me 10-15 episodes to get into it, and start to like it, but watching it the second time around was a whole lot easier on DVD, as my preconceptions had been pre-shattered.

Negima! has the usual Akamatsu ecchi antics ala Love Hina, while Negima!? has better animation, story, basically everything is better, even with the magical girl pokemon antics.

But, I still prefer the first season, just for that ecchiness.

Aion said:
I won't deny that Love Hina is a simple series, but it does have some very good character development and Maison Ikkoku isn't deeper. Kyoko being an indeicisive widow doesn't make it any more deep than a college rom-com without the widow element.
This, I guess, is where our opinions diverge. As far as I'm concerned, Maison Ikkoku has an emotional depth and sincerity that is totally absent from Love Hina. Really, though, I don't think they even warrant comparison. Aside from the superficial setup which Akamatsu may or may not have pilfered from Takahashi, the two series are nothing alike.

Having never watched / read Love Hina (never been remotely interested) I'd guess that 'Harem Show vs. Not Harem Show' was the biggest difference between it and Maison Ikkoku.

Voted Negima for the lulz.

Back