MANGA UK: Hetalia: Axis Powers is coming to the UK

Neferpitou

Stand User
a401e.jpg

MANGA UK: Hetalia: Axis Powers is coming to the UK

Manga UK have confirmed one of the title they were planning to announce this week and it is: Hetalia: Axis Powers. It will be released hopefully just after Christmas on DVD.

Here is a trailer to wet your appetite:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QGUQfJ7xfME?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QGUQfJ7xfME?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Source 1:Manga UK Twitter
Source 2:Manga UK Twitter

I can't help but wonder if this will ever be released in Italy, and if so what it's reception there will be like.

'tf Manga, and here I was expecting One Piece or Highschool of the Dead.

Ah well I can't complain, it's likely to sell well and that's good for the industry.

Paradox295 said:
Tbh, the profits from Professor Layton, Soul Eater and now this should be MORE than enough for One Piece and/or DBKai
Don't worry, this is obviously to keep the girls quiet. We should get the Macho License soon...

Sgt.Frog please T_T

I would actually be very interested to see how well this sells in the West (especially the UK). I know BL manga has been successful, so there must be some sort of pre-made audience, but is the fangirl presence and buying power really enough to make this as big a (relative) hit as it is in Japan?

stuart-says-yes said:
But am I the only one who though the concept of humanised nations interacting with each other was interesting?
Oh no, the concept of anthropomorphic personifications is a very interesting one. But Hetalia is what it is, isn't it? Which is to say, designed to be most appealing to those who find cute young men appealing.

Not to say that there's anything wrong with that, or that it doesn't have other charms. However if Hetalia's idea of comedy is Italy yelling out the names of Italian foodstuffs at every available opportunity (which... I'm reliably informed it is) then I'll not hold my breath.

True or false; I only made this post so I could say "anthropomorphic personifications"?

I actually spent pretty much all of today watching and reading Hetalia, and I just can't get into it. I like the concept, but find it a little annoying overall. Saying that, I do like the Germany character.

ilmaestro said:
I would actually be very interested to see how well this sells in the West (especially the UK). I know BL manga has been successful, so there must be some sort of pre-made audience, but is the fangirl presence and buying power really enough to make this as big a (relative) hit as it is in Japan?

It seemed to do quite well for Funi on YouTube, though whether those viewers turn into buyers is another matter. Content aimed at girls almost always seems to flop horribly in the west, and even more so in the UK, so hopefully this doesn't end up being dropped. Funi having grabbed the later seasons is heartening, at least.

Personally I like the series and it will be in my collection shortly. A few of my [straight male] friends are picking it up too but we're hardly representative of the market at large :(

R

A few of your allegedly straight male friends, I see, I see. ^^;

Random Hetalia anecdote: whilst walking around a branch of Mandarake with an English friend who knows a middling-ish amount of Japanese, I had to explain to him that no, a shelf marked "米国 x 英国" was not going to contain Western comics, and then I instantly had to go and sit in the corner and cry whilst asking myself why I immediately knew what the shelf would actually hold.

This is the first time I've seen any dub clips, I'm with kippy666, oh lol, the accents. XD
I knew Hetalia would eventually be picked up, it's too popular not to.
I'll be picking this one up.

Back