Manga UK agreed a couple of new movie acquisitions for 2010

Dave said:
My guess are Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone for one of them the other not to sure about maybe 8th one piece movie as tester for the series to be released over here.
Yes because it worked sooooo~ well for MVM when they thought "hey let's release Utena the movie instead of the series, I'm sure Utena the movie will work wonders for us."

In short, no, let's not do that.

jonboy said:
I thought it was Pathe releasing Blood live action.
Pathe was the co-production company. Manga had Blood posters all over the place on Expo.

Conan-san said:
Yes because it worked sooooo~ well for MVM when they thought "hey let's release Utena the movie instead of the series, I'm sure Utena the movie will work wonders for us."
In short, no, let's not do that.
In Fairness, Utena is a mess of a movie. It's impossible to understand it without the series. There are several plot holes that you can only underrstand if you've seen the series. In other words, utena does not work as a stand alone.

One Piece Movie 8 is slightly better in that regards, but you still needs a lot of knowledge of the series to enjoy it fully.

Just Passing Through said:
Just realised...

With how Girl Who Leapt Through Time worked for them, maybe they're gettting in early on the Summer Wars bandwagon.
That would be really good news, but I think it's a bit too early yet.

I've just ordered the HK version of 5 cm per second, as I've been waiting for a while, but I don't really believe it will be released in the UK. :(

This would be a pleasant surprise then =)

Hope you're right on that then, as I cannot think of any interesting live actions deserving to be released, besides GTO.

It is probably more wishful thinking on my part. But Ghibli films practically come with distro deals before the first frame is animated... and Manga did beat the US to films like Millennium Actress and Ghost In The Shell: Innocence. It depends on how well TGWLTT did for them (must have been good if they are releasing the Bluray this year), and where they stand financially now, again given their deal with Funimation, they are the biggest fish in the UK sea.

If anyone can take a risk, it would be Manga. Whether they are willing to is another matter.

While we're talking Manga, I just recieved an e-mail from Amazon saying GITS 2.0 blu-ray has been pushed back until November. That's after Innocence was delayed until September.

What is with our distros at the moment? I might not know exactly how the business works but what the hell causes releases to be pushed back several months? Is it just a business decision, because obviously they must have the rights and discs can't take that long to manufacture.

As I mentioned, Manga is a big fish in a small anime sea.

They did this earlier with their Funi titles. Originally everything from Ouran to Negima, Claymore to DtB was scheduled for March and April. They would have wound up competing with themselves. So it was spread out over the year.

Bluray is a different deal in that they are testing the water. They'll want to take that even slower.

So far they've had, what, Afro Samurai? They have Shigurui coming up in August, and I guess they'll want to see what sort of numbers they get before they start ramping things up on the Bluray front.

I would have thought that GITS would have been a sure bet though, and delaying that does seem a little odd.

That's what I thought... And releasing Innocence before 2.0 seems a odd too. I'm just hoping like crazy (and probably rather unrealistically) that it means they've managed to secure the original version as well and will be including that.

If they wanted to see how they were going to do on the blu-ray front they could have released something a bit more beloved than Afro Samurai first. GITS would have been the natural choice. I'm waiting here with my wallet open for blu-ray anime content and will now be waiting until Innocence comes out in September to hand any of it to Manga (unless this Shigurui is any good - I know absolutely nothing about it). Now I'm wondering when their blu's which were scheduled for the end of the year (TGWLTT, Origin) will finally see the light of day.

Naruto Shippuden ??

xD

well that's a gibbon, they could release something completely different like Ouran but i doubt it i reckon it just be some movies or so

ayase said:
While we're talking Manga, I just recieved an e-mail from Amazon saying GITS 2.0 blu-ray has been pushed back until November. That's after Innocence was delayed until September.

Are you sure about Amazon?

I noticed that Manga's PR company updated their release timetable today with September's releases, and they have GITS 2.0 and Innocence both being released on 7th Sep. (GITS 2.0 coming in both BD and DVD form)

Just Passing Through said:
ayase said:

Are you sure about Amazon?

I noticed that Manga's PR company updated their release timetable today with September's releases, and they have GITS 2.0 and Innocence both being released on 7th Sep. (GITS 2.0 coming in both BD and DVD form)
Amazon has it down for the 26th of October now, and my e-mail said November (probably just adding a few days for free delivery which seems standard practice even if you recieve it before then). Guess we'll have to wait and see.

chaos said:
I bet it's some live action movie.

Got awful feeling you maybe right there as they did mention they are expanding in that area and there current live action selection is a bit thin.

On another another hand it could be the 2nd bleach movie which has not long ago been licensed in america.

Back