Manga/Light Novels you would like to see licensed/continued

Re: Manga/Light Novels you would like to see licensed/contin

I'd love to see the Sound Euphonium light novels translated. Oh, and Garden of Sinners.

Lutga said:
I'd love to see the Sound Euphonium light novels translated.

I can second that one. To echo what others have said, I'd love to see Fate/Zero too.

They're technically just novels, not Light Novels. #uselesspedantry

Would be interesting to see though, in theory they have a more wide-ranging appeal than most of the series that are currently being translated.

My favorite series that (I assume) has not been released in English is Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu, but do young people even buy fantasy novels these days?

animefreak17 said:
Spice and wolf novels would be goood

You do realise they are already being published by Yen Press right? :lol:

Also technically novels rather than LNs, but Arslan is something that comes to mind.

There's both a Manga and Light Novel series for Spice & Wolf available in English so watch that you get the right one (which is both, I guess).

Would be nice if we could get the Nichijou Manga some day. The Manga of The World God Only Knows would also be good, I think.

I want the Toradora light novels rather badly. I don't understand why people haven't gone after them, since they're complete at 10 volumes.

Chihayafuru. It will never happen but I can dream can't I?

EDIT: Oh, and the Garden of Sinners novels.

Is it though? Or do they just watch the TV show? It's also notable that a lot of the higher fantasy concepts in the series are amongst the least popular aspects, and people really seem more drawn to the historical drama angle.

st_owly said:
I want the Toradora light novels rather badly. I don't understand why people haven't gone after them, since they're complete at 10 volumes.

I'd like to see them aswell, and 10 volumes is quite a nice number, a publisher would know what they were committing to. Perhaps there are issues whereby Seven Seas has the priority but they aren't really into light novels?

I really don't know. I've been thinking that maybe the fact it's popular means the publisher is wanting a lot of money for them. But my guess is as good as yours.

ilmaestro said:
Is it though? Or do they just watch the TV show? It's also notable that a lot of the higher fantasy concepts in the series are amongst the least popular aspects, and people really seem more drawn to the historical drama angle.
And here I thought it was the nudity.

I have to admit that while I've always tended to prefer Fantasy and Sci-fi, it's probably mostly because those kinds of stories tend to be better at capturing and exploring aspects of humanity than things supposedly set in the "real" world. That's probably also why I like Slice of Life anime, because it seems to be able to do the same quite well without needing excessively outlandish settings (though maybe anime has a certain inherent "unreality" by virtue of not having physical sets and actors to get in the way, hmm).

Talking about the "Legend of the Legendary Heroes" specifically, it might be a tough sell with the title. I actually think the title works pretty well and kind of makes sense based on what the anime showed but then I also like it for quirkiness value and not everyone would give it a chance. If they changed it too much to try and attract readers then it might be getting too far from the original Japanese title (which maybe works better anyway due to language differences).

st_owly said:
I really don't know. I've been thinking that maybe the fact it's popular means the publisher is wanting a lot of money for them. But my guess is as good as yours.

Looking at Yens Light Novel line a fair few are from ASCII Media Works just like Toradora so they have potential to get it. Seven Seas don't strike me as a company that'd block the novels as it should aid sales of the Manga (assuming they aren't planning to get back into LN ofc), maybe it's the cost, or maybe Yen are still working on it, they have just expanded the LN line up a lot and perhaps it's in the pipeline.

Smeelia said:
ilmaestro said:
And here I thought it was the nudity.
Heh, very possibly. :p

Re Toradora:
Other than Fujoshi Kanojo and light novel spinoffs of manga (and things with ongoing sequel series like Index), have there ever been any light novels licensed after they finished publishing? Let alone more than 6 years later. I'm not sure the series is even in print anymore (volume 9 is delisted on honto and oos on amazon). If it never gets a release over here then that would be the #1 reason why.

Plus I've never really seen particularly strong demand for it other than on here...

But the Toradora anime was recently rereleased with a dub, so that might have brought new fans in. NIS also wouldn't have rereleased it if they didn't think the demand was strong enough.

That's not really relevant, though.

In the case of a dub being produced, all it would likely be is NIS goes to the Japanese company or committee and asks for the rights to create a dub, to which the committee replies "sure, whatever, so long as you don't do x or y" (paraphrasing here, of course). They may not even need to do this as it may have been part of the original license agreement.

On the other hand if Yen Press were to seek the rights to Toradora for one thing it would be an entirely new license agreement. For another, Dengeki Bunko would likely turn react with a "why would you want to license that? How about all these lovely ongoing series that we've got? Or perhaps this one that's just about to end?" If it hadn't finished as well (albeit in this case only a little over a year ago), they would probably also insist that they release Golden Time first/as well/instead.

Unlike with anime, where fears of reverse-importing mean that older anime can actually have an advantage over newer ones in terms of getting the rights abroad (the Japanese want to keep them back at first), when it comes to manga and, particularly, light novels, the Japanese rights holder will want to push their newer titles, rather than one that was a big hit the best part of a decade ago, but which (as far as Japan' is concerned) is been and gone.

I'm not saying it's impossible, mind - it's probably no less likely than OreGairu getting a license was, and that happened...

One thing you can be confident of, though, is that the anime getting a dub does nothing to increase its chances.

Oh I know the licensing agreements are entirely separate. I'm just surprised that Yen didn't license the novels in time to release the first one to coincide with the dub coming out, as that's basically free marketing.

Back