Manga Force - UK anime magazine hits national TV

Bought all the released mags so far as needed copies of the dvd's for my collection. Downside is after watching the first 2 eps of Macross Plus I had to go out and buy the other 2 eps so I could finish the series

Macross Plus is worth it though :) An excellent OVA.

Sounds like the Manga Mag is working then, at least for you :)

Definately Paul, I probably would never have bought it or even thought to rent it from Blockbusters if it hadn't been for the disc on that mag

Re: Macross Plus

eggybob said:
I think eps 3 and 4 come with it soon. Anyone know whats after issue 5 (5 being one of the evangelions,didnt say which)

I hope 3 and 4 do as I only rented them and would love to complete the series

Manga force DVD reviews

I subscribed as it was a chance to pick up some decent anime titles and mainly out of curiosity, Issues 2 (Blood, the last vampire) 3 (Macross Plus episodes 1 + 2) and issue 4 (Akira) arrived at my doorstep last saturday.

Blood:the last vampire
A great short film that i had never seen before, worth the cover price for the beautiful animation techniques used, which blend traditional 2d animation with 3d backdrops. The only thing is that just when the story starts to grip you, the film is over all too soon. Special features include trailers and a making of feauturette.

Macross plus
Was a bit unsure about this as the cover art did it no justice in my opinion, looked a bit like one of Manga's (god i HATE that name) early releases (and we all know what the're like!) but ended up being quite a pleasant suprise. Kind of like a futuristic, Japanese 'Top Gun' shame that there are only 2 episodes and not the full 4, Like a previous poster said. special features include some trailers and some average character profiles.

Akira
I bet that 99.9% of people in this forum have seen this movie repeatedly, this is the 2001 dub and not the streamline original, which is a bit of a dissapointment as i prefer the older voices (i think the voice of Leonardo from TMNT voiced Kaneda in the old dub) but this film is still as powerfull and disturbing as ever and it was wise of Manga Entertainment to include it early in the magazines life. No special features (but who cares?).

Also got the Akira poster and manga force t-shirt, dont really like the t-shirt but i wear it as a undershirt for my Nihon Daihyou strip so it serves its purpose. The Akira poster is pretty cool and is hung up in my room near my Naruto wall scroll, its a bit on the small side though.

BTW as you can tell i am new to the forums and i am pleased to meet you all!

I don't get why anybody would take the old Akira dub over the newer and in my opinion greatly superior Geneon Dub. Must be nostalgia I guess because I can't think of any other reason, it certainly couldn't be the quality of the voice acting...

Ugh!

Well, I couldnt think of anything I wanted for my birthday, so when my mom asked, I said, Subscribe me to MangaForce.
She paid for it on the 23/01.

WHERE IS IT???

nowhere.. every day I check my post box.. and tis never there. They're selling the 4th issue is shops now! I only have the 1st one coz I bought it!

Re: Ugh!

TrixDemon said:
Well, I couldnt think of anything I wanted for my birthday, so when my mom asked, I said, Subscribe me to MangaForce.
She paid for it on the 23/01.

WHERE IS IT???

nowhere.. every day I check my post box.. and tis never there. They're selling the 4th issue is shops now! I only have the 1st one coz I bought it!

Have you tried contacting them? I'm sure there must be a phone number included on the 1st issue of the magazine. It sounds like they haven't received your details or something.

This is a great collection if you're a bit of a newb like me. The only Manga Ents. anime i had before this came out was Akira.

I subsribed from part 5 and parts 5 and 6 came on Saturday. Part 5 is Evangelion (Death and Rebirth) and Part 6 is Ninja Scroll.

I've watched Ninja Scroll and thought it was quite cool, it seemed the full DVD release with a 20 minute interview with the director and a 15 minute interview with two of the English dub voice actors. It also has the Japanese soundtrack in 5.1, most of the other foriegn movie DVDs I've seen have the foriegn language in stereo only. 8)

Good news for McIcy and myself is that Manga Force part 7 is Macross Plus parts 3 and 4. :D

Where can I view my favourite Mangas on the web ?

Hi people, I would appreciate if you could help me finding Uk websites where I could pay and download or watch mangas and animes. If some websites got video that would be great.So if you know some of them, please drop one or two in here

Thanx

Re: Where can I view my favourite Mangas on the web ?

Jeffers said:
Hi people, I would appreciate if you could help me finding Uk websites where I could pay and download or watch mangas and animes. If some websites got video that would be great.So if you know some of them, please drop one or two in here

Thanx
There are currently no websites that I am aware of where you can legally download and watch anime, paid for or otherwise. Keep monitoring the news sites, sign up to ADV Films newsletter (they have provided limited time streams of first episode for some of their upcoming titles recently).

Manga's parent company Starz Media recently signed a deal to provide some of its content including some of Manga's anime titles recently but that is liable to be limited to the US at the outset at the very least.

Unfortunately at this time, legal online content in the UK is extremely limited although it will probably pick up in the not-too-distant future.

I've only gone through the Ghost in the Shell DVD from the ones I've received so far, but thats mainly because I was going through UFC 1-16 first. :D

As I'd successfully managed to convince my gf that anime really was worth watching, I'd hoped Ghost would be a handy way to get my gf to watch more anime, but forgot that it was rather more violent than the Studio Ghibli I'd showed her so far. Oops - think I'll be watching anime alone until I buy another Ghibli release. :wink:

Very pleased when I saw Manga Force did include a bunch of extras on their DVDs (or at least some of them), so looking forward to the rest of the 50. I had a number of these already (the usual ones - Akira, Ninja Scroll, Streetfighter II, Appleseed etc - no doubt Fist of the North Star and Patlabor will crop up later), as I bought a load of Manga Entertainment vids back in the day, but not overly bothered considering I get a few extras (so I get to rewatch an old favourite and have some funky interview/documentaries. If I'm lucky). Not to mention its an easy way of transferring those vids to DVD, if you're particularly lazy like me. :D

Link100p said:
I haven't seen this anywhere, seems ****.
As is usually the case with these piecework sets, you usually have to ask the newsagent to order/reserve you a copy or subscribe to it. After the first or two issue has sold then it is normally pretty clear what the subsequent sales are liable to be so Newsagents don't usually get more in stock than they have been asked to hold back by customers.

Well, at least their call centre is pretty good. Only had to wait a few short seconds before I was able to talk to representative about my defective Macross Plus DVD. Told me they are going to re-send me the issue with my next delivery.

Does anyone know where I can get info on up coming issues? Because I have no clue whether I should wait for the next few issues or go out and buy the DVDs myself.
Them giving the "Free GITS SAC 1-4" DVD was pretty effecive. Got me to buy boxed sets of 1st and 2nd GIG for a total of £60 (rounded up). They should include more DVDs of newer anime rather than older ones. The Evangelion Death and Rebirth DVD managed to almost put me off Evangelion for life.

Budding said:
The Evangelion Death and Rebirth DVD managed to almost put me off Evangelion for life.
Yeah, that's a pretty bad place to start Eva as it throws you right into the deep end with no clue as to what's going on...

Erase it from your memory if you can. It's worth a second chance if you get the opportunity.

Hi,

I too have started to enjoy anime thanks to this collection.

My favourite so far is Ghost in the Shell. I bought it from the newsagents in our town centre and watched it one Saturday afternoon. I quite enjoyed it, but it was only the day after when I was having a bath, I started thinking about it, and found that it had managed to intrigue me and I wanted more.

After subscribing I had to wait over a month for the next issues, and I watched Blood. I thought it was fantastic. Way too short, but excellent.

The following week, I watched Macross Plus, and quite frankly I wasn’t expecting much from this. However I thought it was very good, and I can’t wait for the next episodes.

Then I tried Akira, and I had heard good things about this, even before I knew what anime was. Whilst the animation was very good, I thought the story itself was baffling and long winded. Overall I was very disappointed with it, but may give it another try. It’s a shame because it started off really well, and then just went ridiculous.

So my favourites in order so far are:

1. ghost in the shell
2. Macross Plus
3. Blood
4. Akira

The next two issues arrived yesterday, and I was going to watch Evangelion Death & Rebirth, but the posts above have made me think twice. Should I watch this or skip it until a future date?

Rob.

Death and Rebith is a pretentious wanna be art movie using clips and reanimated scenes from the series. It fails in being a abridged retelling of the story and is just boring and confusing even if you have seen the series before. If you want to watch Eva then watch the series followed by The End of Evangelion movie and give Death and Rebirth a miss.

Back