UK Anime Distributor Manga Entertainment Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NormanicGrav said:
windcott said:
does anyone know what's in the akame ga kill book ? loved the show but if the book is just character bio's and plot outlines etc then i think i'll pass, if it's more like the fate stay night ce though i'll go for it, also does anyone here think the price may drop, it's limited to 1000 so it'll go oop quite soon ?

I don't know what the exact contents are but it contains most/all of the booklet contents from the Japanese Blu-ray volumes.

I have no idea what's in those :eek:

On Twitter, Jerome has revealed the Top 10 selling Manga UK titles of 2015:

10) Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 3
09) Bleach Complete Series 14
08) Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 2
07) One Piece Collection 11
06) Naruto Shippuden Box 21
05) Space Captain Harlock
04) Naruto Shippuden Box 22
03) One Piece Collection 10
02) Ghost In The Shell: Arise 3 & 4
01) Naruto Shippuden Box 20

Jerome also noted that Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion is currently ranked at #17 despite not being out for long; while Samurai Bride is #48 (he mentioned this in regards to pervy anime not selling well). With Shonen JUMP still reigning supreme, it'll be interesting to see how Food Wars performs, as that's a mix of both worlds.

Joshawott said:
On Twitter, Jerome has revealed the Top 10 selling Manga UK titles of 2015:

10) Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 3
09) Bleach Complete Series 14
08) Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 2
07) One Piece Collection 11
06) Naruto Shippuden Box 21
05) Space Captain Harlock
04) Naruto Shippuden Box 22
03) One Piece Collection 10
02) Ghost In The Shell: Arise 3 & 4
01) Naruto Shippuden Box 20

Jerome also noted that Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion is currently ranked at #17 despite not being out for long; while Samurai Bride is #48 (he mentioned this in regards to pervy anime not selling well). With Shonen JUMP still reigning supreme, it'll be interesting to see how Food Wars performs, as that's a mix of both worlds.

That may be the case here in the UK but I'm pretty sure over in North America (and presumably Australia) it's doing pretty darn well. High School DxD's LE sold out instantly and that wasn't common for Funi sets at that time.

To be honest, he has a point. I've dropped both manga and TV shows I was really enjoying over excessive or peadophilic fan service. I read about 5 or 6 volumes of Sun-Ken Rock, dropped it like a stone when it was revealed Kae-Lyn Kim was 12. The fan service was pissing me off before, but I could not get it off my browser screen fast enough when that was releaved. Then there's Heavy Object, which was annoying but bearable, until the flute joke which was outright repulsive. Not only heinously unfunny, ridiculously drawn out, peadophilic (it involved a 14 year old), but also amongst the least appealing fan service I have seen. Needless to say I was unimpressed.

I can only imagine how horrified somebody who isn't used to anime and manga would be...

IncendiaryLemon said:
I think calling it peadophillic is a little extreme...

A 12 year old character was attempting to force herself on a 20 something male, replete with explicit sex references and panty shots. Peadophilic is only the appropriate word. I would have been uncomfortable with it if she was 18, the fact she was 12 made me want to throw up. I would've stopped reading a **** of a lot sooner if I had realised.

Also, I was slightly creeped out by Sun-Ken Rock's previous horrifically fluidy rape fanserivce too, but we really don't want to go there.

I feel that word is something that shouldn't really be thrown around and has very harsh connotations. It's kind of a controversial topic and I can understand why people might be inclined to call it as such but it feels like too harsh of a term. Half the time, anime (or I guess Manga in this case) characters don't look their age, and I don't know the specific example you're talking about, but the link can sometimes be tenuous. The fact that none of it is real also plays a large factor in it too.

That's a whole different kettle of fish but in my eyes if the character looks young but is '18' or a '1000 year old dragon' *cough Nowi cough* than its a total no no, however if the character looks older but is under 18 I still see it as a no no. Characters like Nowi just put me off of games like Fire Emblem, so bad.

britguy said:
edit - or is it this girl?

http://z.mhcdn.net/store/manga/6611/19- ... 1374496923

either way, she don't look 12.

I think it's the second, to be honest I did everything possible to remove the sequences involving her from my memory. I just remember that they existed, and I have no intention of looking them up.

For me personally, knowing the character is supposed to be 12 is more than enough to push it over the edge. I was uncomfortable with her characterisation and the fanservice in that manga in general (especially aforementioned rape sequence(s)), though I could have probably forgiven that. I forgave Inuyashiki when it did a similar thing with clearly adult characters in it's third volume, and arguably that was even more problematic since it was so tonally out of keeping with the rest of the manga. But with Sun-Ken Rock announcing her as 12 was the final nail in the coffin.

IncendiaryLemon said:
I feel that word is something that shouldn't really be thrown around and has very harsh connotations. It's kind of a controversial topic and I can understand why people might be inclined to call it as such but it feels like too harsh of a term. Half the time, anime (or I guess Manga in this case) characters don't look their age, and I don't know the specific example you're talking about, but the link can sometimes be tenuous. The fact that none of it is real also plays a large factor in it too.

I'm sorry, she's 12. It's at the very least grossly inappropriate and highly disturbing. In fact, I'd be very surprised if that manga didn't breach the Obscene Publications Act (although to be fair, it probably does more than enough to breach the OPA before it even announces her age)...

Buzz201 said:
I'm sorry, she's 12. It's at the very least grossly inappropriate and highly disturbing. In fact, I'd be very surprised if that manga didn't breach the Obscene Publications Act (although to be fair, it probably does more than enough to breach the OPA before it even announces her age)...

She's not 12 though, because a) she isn't real and b) looks like no 12 year old ever :lol:

Again, it's not real. Hell, it's not even realistically drawn. I don't see how it's really that disturbing or whatever. To each their own I guess...

qaiz said:
Doesn't matter if its real or not or how she looks like is irrelevant, imo of course.

So if the manga had said she was 16, which she quite clearly looks (at least), it's ok? So just because of one change in number everything goes from suddenly being wrong to being acceptable? I don't follow but each to their own...

I also don't get the argument if the character is 18 but looks younger it still isn't acceptable. There are people in the real world who are 18 who look younger but that would be fine. Hell, I'm 18 and I don't think I look it.

I'm sorry, but "it's not real" doesn't really work as an excuse for me. You can't expect me to become wrapped up in the drama to give the work a sense of dramatic tension, but suddenly become less absorbed when it becomes peadophilic. So either I have to accept the work is peadophilic or I have to give up on ever being dramatically engaged with the work, that's not a choice I have any intention of ever making.

As far as I'm concerned, if I'm thinking "this is not real" whilst reading or watching a work, it has failed on a dramtically engaging level.

:lol: we're getting in to a deep discussion here over a saucy manga. AT the end of the day, you're entitled to be morally offended, and we're also entitled not to be. I just think people get too offended too quickly nowadays.

Character doesnt look 12, so it's just a ridiculous decision byu the author/artists for shock value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back