UK Anime Distributor Manga Entertainment Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [UK Anime Distributor] Manga Entertainment Discussion Th

Lutga said:
I'm more concerned about the news that the Fairy Tail collections will now be DVD only - as they represent the 'collected' edition. If the only way to get Fairy Tail in HD in the UK is the individual volume releases, then that doesn't bode well for shelf space, or the wallet.

I wouldn't be sure about the volume releases either. While the DVD release of Volume 9 is up for pre-order at Amazon and Anime on Line, there's no Blu-ray of Volume 9 yet.

Just Passing Through said:
Lutga said:
I'm more concerned about the news that the Fairy Tail collections will now be DVD only - as they represent the 'collected' edition. If the only way to get Fairy Tail in HD in the UK is the individual volume releases, then that doesn't bode well for shelf space, or the wallet.

I wouldn't be sure about the volume releases either. While the DVD release of Volume 9 is up for pre-order at Amazon and Anime on Line, there's no Blu-ray of Volume 9 yet.

And to be honest, seeing what Manga has done to the new Naruto volume, I dread to see what the Fairy Tail volumes start to look like...

Lutga said:
And to be honest, seeing what Manga has done to the new Naruto volume, I dread to see what the Fairy Tail volumes start to look like...

Huh? What's happened to it? If you're referring to the artwork being used, personally I think it's looks really good. (Also, it is what was provided from the licensor for Manga to work with.)

Jeremy_Graves said:
Lutga said:

Huh? What's happened to it? If you're referring to the artwork being used, personally I think it's looks really good. (Also, it is what was provided from the licensor for Manga to work with.)

Ahh, thanks for the info - I wasn't aware of that. I thought it had been a conscious design change instead of due to the materials supplied. Was just surprised be it, as it seemed odd the font had changed after 19 volumes of it being the same.

Jeremy_Graves said:
Lutga said:

No, not the artwork, but the logo has changed font...

From this on box 1-19:

518nzemi2dL._SY300_.jpg

To this on box 20:

11949additional_images.jpg

Cactus said:
Jeremy_Graves said:
Lutga said:

No, not the artwork, but the logo has changed font...

From this on box 1-19:

518nzemi2dL._SY300_.jpg

To this on box 20:

11949additional_images.jpg

Not by much to be fair. In my opinion it's a slightly "cleaner" version (for want of a better way of phrasing it) of the logo. The font is still the same as far as I'm aware, but it also looks different a bit because there is a coloured outline around the lettering.

Jeremy_Graves said:
Not by much to be fair. In my opinion it's a slightly "cleaner" version (for want of a better way of phrasing it) of the logo. The font is still the same as far as I'm aware, but it also looks different a bit because there is a coloured outline around the lettering.

The font is different, check the R and S. I work with fonts all day long, I see these things. :) And when you've got a shelf with 19 of these in a row and then a different one comes... it's quite annoying. Now, I don't even watch Naruto so it's not a problem for me, but other people have been pointing this out.

Now that you mention it, the R is most noticeably different. Good catch, Cactus.

Cactus said:
Jeremy_Graves said:

The font is different, check the R and S. I work with fonts all day long, I see these things. :) And when you've got a shelf with 19 of these in a row and then a different one comes... it's quite annoying. Now, I don't even watch Naruto so it's not a problem for me, but other people have been pointing this out.
I already mentioned this on MangaUK FB. But I shall repeat my self.
Just to let everyone know that on the Australian release, Collection 20 they also changed to this font. https://www.jbhifi.com.au/.../naruto-sh ... ../638155/ so thats why (I think) MangaUK is following this. If you check collection 19 on the Australian release it was different than this and ours. Our releases font was the same from the first shippuden dvd release from Japan, http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/ANSB-2651 which I rather like rather than the US font. They changed fonts rather often on the Japans releases at nearly ever arc.
And now they using the font used on the: Nine-tailed Fox Taming and Karmic Encounters arc dvds from Japan. Box set 20 is using volume 3 from Japan while Australian used volume 1.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/ANSB-3433
Now I hope people will stop complaining about the font, and lets hope they use this font for the next 19 and don't change them as often as they do in Japan. - If they changed it due to loosing the licence from Madman. Then we can panic!

I think it was pretty much taken for granted anyway, but Manga Ent have confirmed on Twitter that henceforth Fairy Tail is DVD only, not just the collections but Part 9 will be DVD only too.

They spend all that effort releases the latter 4 parts on BD, and then go back and re-release the first four parts on BD too, the majority of which was animated at a lower resolution and upscaled, and when they get to around where we are now, when Fairy Tail really switches to close to native HD resolution, they ditch the Blu-rays. Makes no sense to this fan, but probably makes sense to their bank balances. :roll:

I think it was pretty much taken for granted anyway, but Manga Ent have confirmed on Twitter that henceforth Fairy Tail is DVD only, not just the collections but Part 9 will be DVD only too.

They spend all that effort releases the latter 4 parts on BD, and then go back and re-release the first four parts on BD too, the majority of which was animated at a lower resolution and upscaled, and when they get to around where we are now, when Fairy Tail really switches to close to native HD resolution, they ditch the Blu-rays. Makes no sense to this fan, but probably makes sense to their bank balances. :roll:

Looking a lot like Manga is a DvD only company again. Though I'll admit I was surprised when they went and offered Fairy Tail on BD, long running shows like that tend to appeal to the cheap DvD crowd, perhaps the BD sales tanked and this is the end result.

What is a real shame is the single season shows that would support a BD will not get it now.

From Facebook

Dear beloved Manga customers! Please tell us what you'd most like to see from us in 2015?

A. More deluxe edition box sets. If so. What do you want to see in a special edition box set from Manga? E.g. Rigid art box, bonus items, more content etc. And what type of pricing?

B. Is there a particular license you want us to acquire for the UK? If so, which show or movie do you most want us to pick up for you?

C. Digital! Do you want to see more of our catalogue released online for you to view? If so, which platforms? E.g. iTunes, BlinkBox, Netflix, Viewster, Amazon Prime etc.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Words fail me...

Which is probably a good thing in this case. Somehow a 'stop ****ing up' probably wouldn't go down well on their Facebook page.

From Facebook

Dear beloved Manga customers! Please tell us what you'd most like to see from us in 2015?

A. More deluxe edition box sets. If so. What do you want to see in a special edition box set from Manga? E.g. Rigid art box, bonus items, more content etc. And what type of pricing?

B. Is there a particular license you want us to acquire for the UK? If so, which show or movie do you most want us to pick up for you?

C. Digital! Do you want to see more of our catalogue released online for you to view? If so, which platforms? E.g. iTunes, BlinkBox, Netflix, Viewster, Amazon Prime etc.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Words fail me...

Which is probably a good thing in this case. Somehow a 'stop ****ing up' probably wouldn't go down well on their Facebook page.

I think you made a very solid comment on there, a lot of people saying basically the same thing too which is good.

That first request is a bit mad though, and I have to say I'm dubious overall on the merit of this. There's some good suggestions and opinions, coupled with a ton of personal bucket lists of stuff. I don't think they should of asked for licence suggestions, unless they suddenly find there's massive demand for a old niche title they can basically ignore everything posted and licence what they know will be a reasonable seller. They'd be far better off asking what people want sets to look like, see if there's demand for art boxes, deluxe sets or if people want basic value.

I'm pretty sure I just had a heart attack.... :O

Am I the only one who wants to shout at them 'stop making things blu ray only!!'

Dear Manga UK, Anime is a niche market. Everyone and there grandma knows that so I know you do too. Niche markets always want the best possible product and there willing to pay for it (case in point AL's success). DVD only is not the best answer, in fact in 2015 it's pretty much the worst answer.

Attack On Titan, 2 volumes 13 episodes each. You could of put that in a rigid artbox, had blu ray extras, and stuck a 50 book with it and charged £70 srp EACH! more than covering the extra cost. And you know what people would have bought it instead of imported the far better version than you put out. Lesson learned. Hopefully.

Rant over. Apologies. :p

Having watched Funimation's version of One Piece Collection 9 the picture quality on it seems noticeable better than on the Manga versions of the show. Better packaging and the authoring on the discs seems better as well.

robot monkey said:
Having watched Funimation's version of One Piece Collection 9 the picture quality on it seems noticeable better than on the Manga versions of the show. Better packaging and the authoring on the discs seems better as well.

As Manga use Madman's masters for that show, it'll be down to the PAL conversion in Australia. Look on the bright side, at least we still get decent chaptering and subtitles.

robot monkey said:

As Manga use Madman's masters for that show, it'll be down to the PAL conversion in Australia. Look on the bright side, at least we still get decent chaptering and subtitles.

Thanks. First time I've really noticed PAL authoring having that determental effect on the picture quality of a DVD title.

robot monkey said:
robot monkey said:

Thanks. First time I've really noticed PAL authoring having that determental effect on the picture quality of a DVD title.

That's kinda disappointing when you think about it, DvD is basic entry level and we don't get the same level of quality? How many other titles from anyone in the UK also suffer from this I wonder.

I wonder if it's now more noticeable because it's being upscaled as well & the US discs in this case seem to stand up better compared to the UK ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back