UK Anime Distributor Manga Entertainment Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerome said they had the middle Hellsing episodes even before FUNi announced it, but after FUNi finally started working on the dubs he said Manga didn't have it. I think they're back to having it again now but I'm losing track.

Shiroi Hane said:
Jerome said they had the middle Hellsing episodes even before FUNi announced it, but after FUNi finally started working on the dubs he said Manga didn't have it. I think they're back to having it again now but I'm losing track.

lets hope they release them

Manga Entertainment thread thingy!

Hello to the wise and wonderful users of the Anime UK News forum. Thanks Bailiff dude for sorting me out. Here I am now, entertain me!

OK, so where are we on Hellsing Ultimate? Funimation has picked up episodes 5, 6, 7 and 8. We are talking to them about sub-licensing the UK rights. It is taking a little longer than expected, but every deal we do with Funi has to be approved by the relevant rights holder in Japan first.

Jerome_Manga said:
OK, so where are we on Hellsing Ultimate? Funimation has picked up episodes 5, 6, 7 and 8. We are talking to them about sub-licensing the UK rights. It is taking a little longer than expected, but every deal we do with Funi has to be approved by the relevant rights holder in Japan first.

i have the hellsing ultimate singles on dvd manga i would of thought manga would of picked them up instead of funi

BTW, yes, Strike Witches is a personal favourite of mine for it's sheer absurdity and blatant ant flashing fan service.

NTSC

Hi Joshawott,

"A while ago on Twitter, you were asking about the possibility of releasing NTSC DVDs in the UK, citing that doing so would cut costs. However, if memory serves me well, you later stated that idea had hit a brick wall. If you can discuss what that brick wall was, I was wondering what it was?"

It is so complicated I don't really want to go into it, but our Production team advise me it is a non-starter at the moment.

Hi Rui,

Thanks for your question. You aren't being nosey at all. Surprise best-sellers? I was very surprised by how well Ouran High School sold. I never expected what I considered a Shojo anime in 2008 to sell as well as it did. More recently, Hetalia's success has surprised me. We've sold through over 7,000 copies of Season 1 and 2. Vampire Knight did better than I expected too.

Hi Jerome - here's a little 'soapbox' question of mine:

I do a little light work in comics. There's a lot of talk in that field about the industry being in decline and struggling, much as anime is perceived to be.

I'm often suggesting to folks in those circles that better sales could be achieved with some sensible promotion, which a lot of publishers simply don't bother with.

It sometimes occurs to me that anime could enjoy a little more commercial success with some extra promotion. That said, I'm no expert on the matter.

I'm just curious - how do you feel about that? Do you think that promotion works? What form of promotion do you think would work best for anime? Is it a false economy, maybe?

With 'Welcome to the Space Show' being a movie that you've taken on the challenge of dubbing yourselves, how big a financial risk is it for Manga to produce their own dubs?

How challenging (or fun) is it to have the extra challenge of dubbing a show/movie, rather than just getting all the materials from a license holder?

animefreak17 said:
Jerome_Manga said:

i have the hellsing ultimate singles on dvd manga i would of thought manga would of picked them up instead of funi

Which region are your Hellsing Ultimate singles AF?

Re: Manga Entertainment thread thingy!

Jerome_Manga said:
Here I am now, entertain me!
Dance for me my puppets, dance!

animefreak17 said:
If FUNi was granted the UK rights along with the US then it wouldn't be an option. That is why Beez started trying to get licenses in early with stuff like Durarara. According to MVM, FUNi got the UK rights to Chobits when they rescued it for example.

mangaman74 said:
animefreak17 said:
Jerome_Manga said:

you know that manga force collection i have 4 volumes of hellsing with them manga region 2

animefreak17 said:
mangaman74 said:
animefreak17 said:
Jerome_Manga said:

you know that manga force collection i have 4 volumes of hellsing with them manga region 2

There you go then. First Funimation gets the rights to Hellsing Ultimate for Region 1 release then Manga gets the right to release a Region 2 version over here from Funimation (subject to approval from the Japanese rights owners).

Re: NTSC

I'm a straight guy and I loved Ouran. I wonder if part of its appeal here is the whole class divide between Haruhi and the rest of the club (such as the "Commoner's Coffee" bit). Y'know, with England and all that.

Jerome_Manga said:
Hi Joshawott,

"A while ago on Twitter, you were asking about the possibility of releasing NTSC DVDs in the UK, citing that doing so would cut costs. However, if memory serves me well, you later stated that idea had hit a brick wall. If you can discuss what that brick wall was, I was wondering what it was?"

It is so complicated I don't really want to go into it, but our Production team advise me it is a non-starter at the moment.
I see, thanks. I randomly thought about it because I noticed even my rubbish old little TV-VHS-DVD combi can play NTSC discs.

Also, I have another couple of questions if that's okay:
If the Blue Exorcist DVDs sell well over here, will that impact MangaUK's stance on releasing series' without English dubs in the future? Could we potentially see Manga doing something similar to what Beez were doing just before their unfortunate withdrawal or would it still be limited to series' that are high profile, super marketable like Blue Exorcist (Being a Shonen Jump title)?

My second question is: While MangaUK prides itself in being able to put anime out there at a price that's as affordable as possible, is it possible for some titles to receive a "Limited Edition" treatment? While I understand that (unfortunately) something like AniplexUSA's Madoka Magica LEs would probably not work in the UK climate, what about things like what FUNimation are doing, like having titles also available in artboxes for a slightly higher price? (with multiple volume releases being able to store both volumes in a single box?).

Hi Jerome,
I've got a few questions too:

I'm kinda chuffed to see Clannad coming to our shores, I love Kanon, Clannad etc, the bit that worries me is that its coming out so late after the US (including US BDs), how come you've decided to release it as several parts rather than one big box set? I know right now it's really rather tempting to order the collections/BDs rather than your smaller sets (no offence intended)

Also, how are you finding things going with multipacks/double-play DVD/BD combos? Are they increasing the take up of BD versions compared to DVD vs BD sales? Are we likely to see an increase in this method of distribution in the future as it caters to both sets of fans?
How are pre-orders looking for things like Angel Beats, DVD vs BD?

And for the record, yes I do own Redline :p

PPS. Glad to see you finally picked up Spice and Wolf ;)

Oh yeah - I almost forgot about this one:

Any word or news on what's happening / not happening with Sengoku Basara part 2 (and maybe the movie, seeing as Funimation have licensed it Stateside)?

Coz I REALLY want to give my money to Manga Ent. in exchange for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back