Manga Ent. license 11 new Funimation anime series for UK

Mmmm. Does anyone know if Manga tend to release things near enough identical to the Region 1 releases? If Ouran was going to be release as two half-season box sets as it is in North American, I'd be very much tempted to cancel my pre-orders for those for the UK edition. May have to do that.

And Darker than Black? I think Manga will be getting a lot of my money in the future. Already have a pre-order on for xxxHOLiC: Part 1.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Aion said:
If Claymore doesn't interest you then quitting anime is a good plan.
Plus, Shonen Jump :cry:
Technically, JUMP SQ now.

Anyway, Claymore is a must for me. However, I've heard about the immense chipboard R1 set, so I must have a look it and, and decide. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't like it. Ouran, I really didn't like originally, but I think I would now so I might try it out, and the same applies for Darker Than BLACK.

Re: One Piece Fans: - Its not like America is really that far w/ the sets. 26 episodes, and its only taken like 8 years. FUNi aren't together with the whole One Piece thing, they don't even have a release date for the Third Voyage. ;/

Oh, and.. FUNimation should send some of their other classics our way (Detective Conan/YuYu Hakusho/Shin Chan? ;p) I'd buy.

I'll be getting Darker than Black and Claymore, but on R1 because I'm far too impatient to wait until '09, not to mention the liklihood of Manga releasing a decent artbox for them is slim-to-none.

The only other thing on that list I like is xxxHOLiC, but I've already collected that.

HokageLuffy said:
Conan-san said:
HokageLuffy said:
ok... good news... but...

WHERE'S ONE PIECE?
I think it's safe to say that's as good as cockblocked by some Frenchies.

Whaaat?? Does someone else have the UK One Piece license? Any company name?

I'm not sure if what Conan-san is saying is true or not, but regardless, I don't think One Piece is a particularly enticing prospect for the UK anime publishers right now. It's bound to be expensive to license, given it's huge popularity in Japan, but its relative lack of exposure over here and sheer length in terms of episodes, as well as the fact that it's almost too unconventional looking for the otaku fanbase, means that One Piece simply wouldn't sell in the numbers they would need to make a profit.

One Piece is one of my favourite anime of all time, so it's not exactly easy to say all of that, but quite frankly, I doubt it will ever be released over here. For that to happen, it needs to get on TV.

I find quite sad some people rights off a series before even a tempting to try it out, as in the case of claymore. How do you now its poor series until read or watched it. Claymore may lack sexual content of Berserk which in way is a good thing in this case which explain later on. But in terms of violence of physical and mental kind, claymore is on par with berserk.

Its nice to see a series for once in claymore where the leading female cast are not treated as sexual objects for change. Which is the case in a lot of other mangas and something which berserk is guilty of sometimes.

It's also quite ignorant to suggest as it Shonen jump title are not going to be adult enough. But taking titles like claymore or hunter x hunter as an examples they are no less violent than more adult targeted Manga/Anime around.

Look like is a question of when and not If for the UK release of One Piece, I guess it will be announced once a few more box sets have been released in the USA.

While I might not like Dave, and I might like to see him banned for life, he does have a point. Fabio needs to stop judging what was serialized in Shounen Jump prior to watching - judging a book by its cover ain't good...unless the cover shows two men getting it on.

It's too bad Manga will probably take forever to release complete box sets. Although the Death Note sets are excellent value for money, it's beginning to piss me off that it's taking so long for the complete collection to be released. I'm guessing Manga need to wait for the American set(s) to be released first to avoid the risk of reverse importation, but it would've been nice if Jerome had answered my question before buggering off...

I appreciate what you're saying but it's physically impossible for me to see everything - I simply cannot afford it (nor do I have the time!). So to compensate for this tragic limitation of my human life I have to pick and choose which series I want to see ;)

I'd probably enjoy Claymore well enough, but nothing about it screams "this will change your life and be different to the hundreds of shows you've already seen". So I'm skipping it. There's too much more out there I want to pick up to be able to let shows that don't grab me cut in line.

If I ever run out of series to buy I'll certainly revisit this, but I don't see that happening unless they stop making anime long enough for me to get caught up. It's important to accept that no matter how much you like a series, someone out there is going to have different taste!

R, who loves Le Chevalier D'Eon and Gravion and hates GITS TV (yep)

Dave said:
How do you now its poor series until read or watched it.
Did I say that Claymore was a "poor series"? Did anyone? What I said was that much of what I've read, even by people who like it, suggests that it has been done better by anime and manga I already own. Time and money are finite and I'd rather buy something else. The end.

But taking titles like claymore or hunter x hunter as an examples they are no less violent than more adult targeted Manga/Anime around.
So maturity=violence? Right. It's a waste of time speaking with you, then. If it upsets people that I have no interest in their favourite shows, they are free to send me the DVDs and I'll be glad to watch them... when I can be bothered.

Fabio, you're suggesting it's kiddy crap by putting up your nose the moment you learn it's a SJ title. You're also judging it as an inferior copy of something you've seen before without watching it (or reading), which is a foolish thing to do.

I don't care what you watch. It's just beginning to annoy me how you seem to view yourself as too good to sample anything that you class as not good enough for you. It's starting to make me want to slap you.

You liked Berserk, which means you like gloomy fantasy stories. I see no reason why you'd dislike another series that captures the feel of Berserk.

T.H.E.M. said:
That said, Claymore still has its little foibles. It suffers in a way from what I call Kenshin Syndrome, wherein the hero or heroine feels compelled in the middle of a pitched battle to stop and wax philosophic on the nature of life the universe and this week’s special attack
THIS IS WHY I DON'T LIKE SHOUNEN FIGHTING SHOWS.

Enough of this ********. I have explained why I am not interested in Claymore, and its Shonen Jump origins is just one aspect. I didn't even bring up Claymore; it was your snarky "you might as well give up anime" that prompted me to even mention it. So kindly **** off.

To try to put some perspective on the SJ thing, if the situation was reversed and I was raving about some amazing new series which was known to have been published in a hardcore homoerotic magazine originally, squarely aimed at middle aged housewives, would you be interested? Even if I say it's awesome until I'm blue in the face and compare it to Laputa, you're basically never going to want to watch it because it's about two beautiful yet naked guys getting it on in various infeasible ways and you don't want to spend money on that. Especially given the level of realism depicted in guy/guy stuff aimed at women.

Maybe you would actually give it a shot, but most teen guys I know on the internet would steer well clear of anything so obviously aimed away from them.

I actually love SJ, but something being published there does immediately say a few things about it which may appeal to or repulse people depending on their taste. For example if I'm burned out on shounen series in general, I'm going to want to avoid another SJ series for a while. It doesn't mean the latest and greatest shounen epic is bad - just that I have other things I'd rather watch instead and I'm sure FL is thinking on similar lines.

(I know it's actually Jump Square. And I also know I've never been interested in a Jump Square series to date - coincidence? Or perhaps I'm not the target audience.)

So are all the Claymore zealots planning on buying every series in that list? Wouldn't want to miss out on Mamotte Lollipop and Sasami Magical Girl Club based on content assumptions, after all!

R

Rui said:
To try to put some perspective on the SJ thing, if the situation was reversed and I was raving about some amazing new series which was known to have been published in a hardcore homoerotic magazine originally, squarely aimed at middle aged housewives, would you be interested?
Exactly. Of course they wouldn't. It's pure hypocrisy.

fabricatedlunatic said:
So kindly **** off.

There's no need to bring out the big words. I was explaining my reasoning for my comments; that it annoys me a little when someone judges what I rate highly without even giving it a go. I respect people who try something and hate it, but people who assume they're right when they know nothing are bothersome.

Rui: I can understand why someone busy would watch a series from one genre/aimed at a certain age group, hate it and then jump to the conclusion everything else in that genre is bad by default. Not everyone has a lot of time and they plan what they want to watch by only trying a select few series. But, when a person does have time and acts that way, I can't help but find it annoying.

The only type of anime I refuse to watch is the yaoi kind, and that's because I get no enjoyment seeing one man ram his tongue down the throat of another due to my sexual orientation. But, apart from yaoi themed stuff, I wouldn't avoid watching an anime just because of the age group its aimed at or the content.

Back