Manga Ent cancels further Blu-ray Fullmetal Alchemist B

Was half expecting the fullmetal alchemist blurays to get dropped. £10 more than the dvds for what is basically an upscale from what the bluray reviews say.

Manga say they have no plans to cancel any of their upcoming movie or single cour TV series BD releases, so one assumes the existing ones are doing well enough. Part of the problem with Brotherhood (and this will be the case for other longer series) is the drop-off in sales with each subsequent volume.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Let's be fair, now, Ryo. As a business Manga can't continue to put out a product that's losing them money. I'm sure they wouldn't have cancelled the release otherwise.

and as a consumer one does not go back to a company that continues to offer them bad service

in the current economical environment, i can't afford to be screwed over by things like this

Ryo Chan said:
Well done Manga, i'm officially out of the buying from the uk business.

Unfortunatly for you, the funi releases are region free, so catch you in a year when you go the way of ADV
Considering Manga release some of the best value sets now, with multi-disc releases, I certainly hope they don't go out of business.

Plus they have the licenses for Naruto and Bleach, so I do doubt they will go out any time soon.

Plus ADV made the mistake of licensing a lot of rubbish series for the sake of it.

Wouldn't an open subscription method be better for somthing like Blu Ray anime?

IE you get people to pre order and tie them in for the full set and once you get critial mass you can start production?

Else go right to box sets of the blu rays?

I doubt many people would be willing to commit to buying a full set of any given series, especially if they were expected to pay up front. And even if they did, I shouldn't think they could be prevented from cancelling and getting a refund.

A full box set is a nice idea but the price would be a problem.

Stuart-says-yes said:
Ryo Chan said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Let's be fair, now, Ryo. As a business Manga can't continue to put out a product that's losing them money. I'm sure they wouldn't have cancelled the release otherwise.

and as a consumer one does not go back to a company that continues to offer them bad service

in the current economical environment, i can't afford to be screwed over by things like this

In the case of an internet service provider yes, but its not like manga hasn't come through for us, I mean keep in mind, they have "The disappearance of Haruhi suzumiya" lined up for release early next year on BD, that alone earns my complete and utter faith and loyalty in Manga.

So what if they drop FMA B, by the looks of it only 750 people cared that Manga had gone to the effort to release it on blu-ray, I mean, I personally would be a bit bothered but If I really wanted to watch it, I would just buy the DVD's from volume 3 onward.

And why should i be bothered about manga having something like that when i can easily buy it from the US alot sooner safe in the knowledge it won't be messed up.

Anime companies wonder why the UK doesn't take off asmuch as the us when it comes to anime, it's cause the UK groups couldn't give a toss about the anime fan

I'm part of the problem too; I have no problem in principle buying Manga's release but they keep region locking blu-rays to a region I can't play, so I just don't buy any of them. I can't really be bothered checking if a company is going to lock this or that and lose out on preorder discounts, so unless they abandon the locking I can't buy their HD stuff.

I think I put their DVD versions on my Xmas list though. Can't remember :)

R

Ryo Chan said:
Anime companies wonder why the UK doesn't take off asmuch as the us when it comes to anime, it's cause the UK groups couldn't give a toss about the anime fan

It doesn't help that some UK fans equally don't give a toss about the UK groups or industry enough to wait for a release.

King Jimmeh said:
Ryo Chan said:
It doesn't help that some UK fans equally don't give a toss about the UK groups or industry enough to wait for a release.
First, US distributors have cancelled plenty of shows. It happens.

Second, as a consumer it's not my job to care about the companies who want to make money off me. If they don't provide the release I want when I want it, I go elsewhere. Free market, yay.

King Jimmeh said:
Ryo Chan said:

why should someone have to wait?

the idea of business is to do what you can to get the most customers cash away from a competitor as possible

If the UK groups want to lose valuable cash from potential customers because of slow release dates and cancelations, that's their choice, but they have to accept that because of that, they're going to lose customers and make less cash

Frankly I think many people may think like me; anime just doesn't need the HD treatment.

Proper movies and tv shows, sure, but when it's just lines and colours, there's not much sharper you can get than DVD. I'm sure people will disagree, but I don't feel the minor sharpness upgrade is worth the extra price.

I'm not even buying all my new films in blu ray, only ones I feel will see a proper benefit like effects heavy movies/ epic scale pictures.

This announcement is just more proof that regional markets are **** and work against the consumer.

What we need is one release in a single, global marketplace with no region locking, no trade barriers and no sales or import taxes.

These news makes me seriously worried about the Eden of the East movies.
They were announced for BD on the US, but I believe they weren't in Europe.

I bought the UK BD set of the series always expecting the movies to be available sooner or later. With these news, and if the US editions of the movies are region-locked, I may end up having only part of the content in HD, which would be quite upsetting.

I quite enjoy the BD format, it does wonders for animation works (as long as you're not doing a quick upscale of an existing SD source), so these news make me a bit sad, since I fear the number of anime releases on the format, which is small already, will decrease further.

Also, I've been buying the majority of BDs released by Manga. I didn't purchase FMA because I have no interest in the series. If in the future they do something like this to a series I start collecting, I will probably stop purchasing their releases. These decisions may make business sense for them, but they surely have to consider the backlash they will suffer from unhappy customers who end up having their series only partially in HD.

I will own up to having imported FMA Brotherood bds from the US. They were released around 3 months earlier and (if ordered from playusa) cost around £8.00 cheaper per set.

I could handle the wait (although in this case I had ordered volume 1 before Manga announced it was releasing it) but I can't accept having to pay £8.00 per volume more.

Also the reason why I got a multi-region blu-ray player (like my dvd players before it) was because I don't have enough faith in the anime market that every series or film that I want which gets released elsewhere will get released here or, in the case of series, that they will always be completed.

I don't exclusively import (I have the UK releases of Eden of the East, Sengoku Basara and Devil May Cry to name a few) but having a multi-region player means I can choose what I want to buy and where to get it from.

mangaman74 said:
I will own up to having imported FMA Brotherood bds from the US. They were released around 3 months earlier and (if ordered from playusa) cost around £8.00 cheaper per set.

I could handle the wait (although in this case I had ordered volume 1 before Manga announced it was releasing it) but I can't accept having to pay £8.00 per volume more.

Also the reason why I got a multi-region blu-ray player (like my dvd players before it) was because I don't have enough faith in the anime market that every series or film that I want which gets released elsewhere will get released here or, in the case of series, that they will always be completed.

I don't exclusively import (I have the UK releases of Eden of the East, Sengoku Basara and Devil May Cry to name a few) but having a multi-region player means I can choose what I want to buy and where to get it from.

where did u get a multiregion bluray player from can't find one for the life of me

Hmm, not suprised really to be honest. I don't think Blu-Ray volumes (or parts, for that matter) are a good idea in the first place. Box-sets, on the other hand....

How it should work, is DVD-Volumes/Parts (if they must), followed by a DVD Boxset and Blu-Ray Boxset as a simultaneous release. In my opinion, thats the best way to do it. Make sure to TELL consumers that's how you are going to do it aswell, and don't take too long over the whole process.

Unless Brotherhood is released in a Blu-Ray set for NO MORE than about £40 (at point of sale) in the UK, then I shall probably import the enevitable US Blu-Ray set.

I just bought Slayers seasons 1-5 in the current Right-Stuf sale. 1-3 are on DVD working out at about the same price (as one set) as one of the single seasons of the re-priced lot coming from MVM soon, so that would be 3 times the price from MVM (or like 6x if I were to buy them at thier current prices, which just ain't happening, sorry). Season 4 and 5 are Blu-Ray, which MVM have made quite obvious they shant be doing for a good while at least.

I also bought Ouran Blu-Ray in the sale. 2 reasons: First, no UK Blu-Ray release. Second, UK release has no (highly required) signs only subtitle track, which is just POOR.

Ryo Chan said:
where did u get a multiregion bluray player from can't find one for the life of me
I got one in the past (good luck finding one there).

The Blu-ray Disc Association seems very, very not keen on the idea of multi-region BD players (anti-competitive market protectionism by certain corporations being the reason BD won over HD-DVD after all). Hence they aren't on the market for long or are ridiculously expensive.

This is starting to piss me off slightly. At the end of the day Manga UK offered FMA:B to the UK market on Blu-Ray, yes I admit it was late but they did offer it. So we understand that they are giving us the chance to own said title in HD. Great! Now don't you think it would be a great idea to buy it keep it financially viable for further releases? I see some people have, but NOT all. Only 750 were sold meaning they were working at a loss.

Quick question. Would you rather see Manga UK release the rest on BD and make a huge loss and then prevent further licenses causing them to follow down the same path as ADV, or simply cancel to save money to put toward another BD release which will be far more successful as a complete set.

I've said before and I shall say again, I do not believe that anime should be given the BD treatment. It hardly benefits at all. Piles more costs onto distributers when there just isn't the market for it. It's a niche within a niche which never bodes well.

I agree with Ayase. The removal of regional for a new worldwide format would do great for the market. FUNimation could take over the English speaking territories and add extra sales. Also means a wider variety to choose from. Hmmm, I like that idea a lot Ayase! 'Tis a shame such a plan could never come to be :(

Well there are my two cents, no doubt you'll pick holes but I stand by what I say. I will always choose to support the R2 industry no matter the price and no matter how long it takes for titles to arrive. I'm only a casual fan and only watch it sometimes. Although I buy all of what Manga UK release.

Back