Mai-Otome

Ok, only one episode has aired, but I felt it was rather good. The animation exceeds Hime, and the characters so far have been interesting, especially Shizuzu. I think with the set-up provided, the show could excel in all that its precursor did, and then some. I hope the same level of quality continues throughout.

So, what do you think about another one of this seasons new picks?

Personally I am already hooked on this series (I enjoyed it more than Blood+ after one episode). It was unusual to see it take such a "magical girl but with lots of explosions" take on things and I liked the rather strange fantasy setting.

The entire cast were a likeable bunch (with the exception of the spoilt brat "princess") , especially Shizuru as Chomo says. The animation was beautiful and fluid with everything looking very impressive with some fantastic action sequences.

I really can't wait to see more of this, I'm totally hooked.

Bit wierd seeing all the characters in different roles and styles now. Although I never did finish watching Mai Hime, I thought it was a cool show, and this looks like it could be good. But having only watched the first episode, it's too early to tell. They usually pack the first episode of the series with lots of spectacle to get people hooked. It's how things progress from here that's really going to define the show.

Twas good says I *ahem*, anyway I didn't really understand what was going on seeing as Id seen about 3 minutes of the first episode of Mai-Hime but it was pretty good nonetheless, I shall continue with it to see where it goes.

Not too sure about this one. I generally do like the magical girl genre but I didn't take a shine to any of the characters in the first episode. I will continue to watch it never-the-less just to see what becomes of the show and if it grows on me. Probably my second favourite from the new season but still far behind Cluster Edge which is a weird choice of anime for be due to it having mecha.

Also I don't see what the obsession with Shizuru is. Her personality hasn't been shown yet and her looks are below average, I say it needs more bishies. ^.^;;

Chibi Yosho said:
Not too sure about this one. I generally do like the magical girl genre but I didn't take a shine to any of the characters in the first episode. I will continue to watch it never-the-less just to see what becomes of the show and if it grows on me. Probably my second favourite from the new season but still far behind Cluster Edge which is a weird choice of anime for be due to it having mecha.

Also I don't see what the obsession with Shizuru is. Her personality hasn't been shown yet and her looks are below average, I say it needs more bishies. ^.^;;

Everything needs more bishies. Even Saiyuki needs more! Even Bleach needs more! Even X needs more!

This time we are visiting the Garden of Bishoujo, it seems.

Ramen89 said:
Twas good says I *ahem*, anyway I didn't really understand what was going on seeing as Id seen about 3 minutes of the first episode of Mai-Hime but it was pretty good nonetheless, I shall continue with it to see where it goes.

Don't worry about not having seen Mai Hime. This is a completely different world from that (at least that's what it seems like from the first episode).

The original series lagely had characters set in the 'real world', whereas this is a fantasy / sci-fi world right from the start. Different characters and all. Well, they look the same, but I think that's just supposed to help the continuity of some of the themes coming over from Mai Hime (both are essentially 'magical girl' shows).

Ramen89 said:
Everything needs more bishies. Even Saiyuki needs more! Even Bleach needs more! Even X needs more!

Noooo *hides from the bishies*

Everyone likes bishies.

I think I'm going to give this show another watch since I found Nina quite an interesting character looking back at what I remember. She was pretty cool.

I enjoyed the first episode- whilst it was the beautiful animation that won me over, the characters and storyline all look promising at this early stage, and having Yuki Kajiura handle the music is no bad thing. :) Of course, the icing on the cake is the wide but strangely flat cat... Anyway, a good start, hopefully it will only get better from here.

Just watched episode 2 which I found to be not as good at episode one, but a pretty good "meet the cast" episode as the rest of the characters get introduced. It went for comedy rather than action, but was still fun to watch overall. I look forward to more. Looks like next episode is going to be a Arika vs Nina battle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really see any resemblance to any of Noir's named cast, Videl.

Episode 2 was good, it lacked action but of course managed to keep me hooked. Scenes with Chie and Nao yielded some non-too-subtle shoujo-ai, and Shizuru and Natsuki have something between them. I'm happy with Nagi, he's my favourite character at the moment. Arika doesn't sound so much like Mokona anymore, either.

I hope the series will explain a bit more on the story plot becuase i was a bit confused in Mai Hime at where is was going at, but loved the action/comedy/touching moments. Has anyone seen that big fat cat its so big.Anyways, i hope this new series will make some connections with the old series, not just a stand alone alternate Universe like Tenchi.Top notch so far.

I just rewatched the second episode, well I did an hour ago or so, and I really enjoyed it (still, no Cluster Edge though). Nina is amazing, she's actually beating the male characters as my favourite in this show and that's a first.

Looking forward to Arika getting her ass kicked (well I hope) in the next episode. I really do hate her, I'm sorry to say.

Comical episode, and good introduction of some of the, what look to be, secondary characters. Hoping to see more of them and more of Nagi. He seemed strangely cool yet I'm unsure of his personality and face/heel alignment.

Episode 3 was quite frankly my favourite episode of anything from the new season loved it! The fights were great The Nina vs Arika fight ends in a draw as I thought it would, and Shizuru is fighting some masked guy in a similar style to her previous battle , there was a decent amount of dialouge and plot development, and it ends on a pretty good cliffhanger aswell. I'm also impressed that the high-standard of animation has been maintained so far, it looks very impressive detail wise.

Few Screencaps, some others are in my blog

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Back