Mai-Otome

Great episode where Nina shows her 1337ness! How cool is she? It was obvious that Nina won because Arika couldn't walk well after the fight, showing that she was injured.

Can't wait to see the action in the next episode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chibi Yosho said:
Great episode where Nina shows her 1337ness! How cool is she? It was obvious that Nina won because Arika couldn't walk well after the fight, showing that she was injured.

Sadly Yosho, if the battle continued Nina would have been obliterated. Why? Because Arika is the main character, and her 1337 pendant of magical power would have activated. Also, it would give Nina a reason to be around, as an angst-rideden failure, as opposed to being the victor and staying in the same place as she started.

Chomolungma said:
Chibi Yosho said:

Sadly Yosho, if the battle continued Nina would have been obliterated. Why? Because Arika is the main character, and her 1337 pendant of magical power would have activated. Also, it would give Nina a reason to be around, as an angst-rideden failure, as opposed to being the victor and staying in the same place as she started.

Shes pretty angst ridden enough as it is any more then the "emo-meter" might burst :p. Hopefully be some interesting battles next episode, the preview voice over was hilarious.

Mangaminx said:
Chomolungma said:
Chibi Yosho said:

Shes pretty angst ridden enough as it is any more then the "emo-meter" might burst :p. Hopefully be some interesting battles next episode, the preview voice over was hilarious.
The emoness must be the reason why I like her (joking, of course). And I believe that they stopped the battle because Nina is 1337 and if they let it go on she would have won, so they had to stop it.

Chibi Yosho said:
The emoness must be the reason why I like her (joking, of course). And I believe that they stopped the battle because Nina is 1337 and if they let it go on she would have won, so they had to stop it.

I like Nina, although she has a bit of an infatuation with her step-father Sergey. But had the battle not been stopped, I think Nina would have lost, because of the need of the plot, character development et al. And as the fight went on, Arika became more and more resistant to Nina's attacks - it would only be a matter of time before Arika would overpower Nina, sad as that would have been.

Mai-Otome is such a good series at inspiring discussion. ^_^

Episode 4 - Excluding a rather stupid plot device in this episode I thought in general it was entertaining as ever. Low on the action front and working more on character development and things but still fun. Most of the cast get a bit of screentime and we have the introduction of a new super-powered Otome like Shizuru in the form of Haruka

Mangaminx said:
Episode 4 - Excluding a rather stupid plot device in this episode I thought in general it was entertaining as ever. Low on the action front and working more on character development and things but still fun. Most of the cast get a bit of screentime and we have the introduction of a new super-powered Otome like Shizuru in the form of Haruka

It seems the series is caught in a pattern of action-comedy-action-comedy, with plot and character development sprinkled here and there. I enjoyed episode four, although I wish Shizuru's fighting scenes were expanded after the brief glimpse of last episode.

Is it just me, or is the Otome academy sinister in too many ways?

The new twist in the plot was pretty pointless but nothing major, I wasn't expecting any boy-girl romances anyway so its nothing bad. I was a bit annoyed that Shizuru's fight was so short, the metal guy just ran off :(

Ramen89 said:
The new twist in the plot was pretty pointless but nothing major, I wasn't expecting any boy-girl romances anyway so its nothing bad. I was a bit annoyed that Shizuru's fight was so short, the metal guy just ran off :(

Must echo the fact that Shizuru's fight needed more time. Hopefully there will be some really spectacular fight sequences as the series progresses. As for the "plot device" it really seems it wouldn't be out of place in a hentai despite its fairly non-offensive context here.

Just watched episode 4 and it was good. I'm beginning to like this series more and more and Nina is getting better and better!

Well, the show did need a reason to why all the female the characters liked girls... Some shows just say it and it is so.

Chibi Yosho said:
Well, the show did need a reason to why all the female the characters liked girls... Some shows just say it and it is so.

I don't think this is the case here... I mean some of the cast are quite evidently attracted to the same sex, but not that many. I think for the majority the rules of becoming an Otome is like a "vow of chastity" that many orders of skilled knights/holy-warriors had. The majority of the cast are set for a life of celibacy I am sure.

Mangaminx said:
Chibi Yosho said:

I don't think this is the case here... I mean some of the cast are quite evidently attracted to the same sex, but not that many. I think for the majority the rules of becoming an Otome is like a "vow of chastity" that many orders of skilled knights/holy-warriors had. The majority of the cast are set for a life of celibacy I am sure.

I'll back up Mangaminx here; we've seen with Akane and Nina that not all the characters are lesbians. To me it appears that the Otome rules are meant to keep virginity or maidenhood, which in Western culture at least is closely linked to the idea of purity. It's the same as a nun swearing a chastity vow - the nun devotes her life to God, the Otome devote their lives to whoever they serve. I don't really see how anyone can find it shocking; I'd imagine the lack of "Otome can't sleep with women" stems from the fact that hetrosexuality is regarded as the social norm.

As for homosexual Otome, the only three who I would place firmly into that camp: the seducer Chie, the tea-sipping Shizuru and the mediator Natsuki, and the third may turn out not to be. The sexual alignment of the characters doesn't really bother me at all, to be honest, and compared to shows like the excellent Maria-Sama, Otome isn't a shoujo-ai series at all.

The 'plot device' device doesnt seem so big. I can only really see it effecting Akane.

Episode 4 was really good nice to see Haruka and Yukino.

I'd like for there to be more focus on the manipulations of the adult characrters; this episode doesn't really show much of this, instead delivering a slice of Otome life which does help establish relations between characters. I love Nina after this episode, and the way Tomoe is such a backstabber is great.

I wonder what Nina's reaction will be when she finds out about Sergey's funding of Arika

Chomolungma said:
I wonder what Nina's reaction will be when she finds out about Sergey's funding of Arika

Well when she finds that out she will know about Arika's mother and things, because of the letter. As we can see in this episode, Nina is the best character and even though she wants to stay number 1 she isn't evil like Tomoe, and actually helps other characters (well, Arika anyway) out!

Nina for the win!

Back