Luna’s Adventures in English

It has been a while, but I got a thing which I was wondering if it has som fancy one-word designator to describe the thing.

Say, you have an object and now you soak it whole thing into something sort of liquid, the thing dries and then the thing is coating the object in a protective manner. (Like how apples and the like are often waxed for protection)
Is there another word for such a coating? (Beyond, I guess, coating, which is more addressing surfaces rather than emphasizing the whole thing?)

Say, you have an object and now you soak it whole thing into something sort of liquid, the thing dries and then the thing is coating the object in a protective manner. (Like how apples and the like are often waxed for protection)
Is there another word for such a coating? (Beyond, I guess, coating, which is more addressing surfaces rather than emphasizing the whole thing?)
The more technical, industrial term would be “dip-coating” (for things like car parts in a factory) but I’d say a more informal term (for toffee apples and the like) would probably just be “dipping”.

Is dipping making out think of whole objects being coated for protection?
My first thoughts on it are like making the object wet and soaked, and not even necessarily whole body-style. (Essentially thinking of something along the lines of a French fry being dipped in ketchup.)

In that context dipping would be the act of taking the french fry, inserting it into the ketchup, and then removing it. It has then been "dipped". You could then describe the french fry as having been dipped in ketchup.

Is dipping making out think of whole objects being coated for protection?
My first thoughts on it are like making the object wet and soaked, and not even necessarily whole body-style. (Essentially thinking of something along the lines of a French fry being dipped in ketchup.)
I don't think there's a word specifically to describe coating something for protection, other than describing it as having a "protective coating" after the fact. Something can be said to have been "dipped" whether it has been partially or fully submerged.

Have a new one!

So when you have a ball room dress - Something like this
Then there are pretty much always cloth pieces attached to your arms so that then can flutter around when moving when dancing.
What are those called? It's not exactly a scarf is it?

Back