Live-Action Akira Green-lit

vashdaman said:
Wait! Now it might have Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman alongside Zak Effron and Joaquin Phoenix. This just keeps getting better and better. Seriously if their going to do it it might as well be a unique (and slightly disturbed) take on Akira. Lets be honest a Hollywood adaptation set in Japan and starring unknown Japanese-American actors was never going to happen nor end well.

Its true the director does seem to have a pretty lack lustre track record so far. But the moment you expect a legitimately good Hollywood adaptation of an anime like Akira you've already lost.

I must admit that I am put off by the person who is going to direct both parts of this movie, who is spanish director Jaume Collet-Serra. This was the same director who made the rather awful american remake of the horror movie House Of Wax starring Paris Hilton who won a rasperry award for the worst actress in that movie. House Of Wax was a american remake of an old american horror movie. But the director made a pretty poor job at the remake as it was nominated as one of the worst horror films and remakes made.

He also made Goal 2 and Unknown (starring Liam Neeson), which were average movies in my opinion.

Originally Gary Whitta wrote the script for both parts of the Akira movie who was the same guy who wrote the script for The Book Of Eli movie, which was not a bad film. The script for Akira was apparantly, extremely faithful to the Manga. But the script for both parts of the movie is now being re-written by someone else whom I am not sure of the name as of yet.

Also, The Hughes Brothers was originally meant to direct both parts of this movie, but they backed out because of creative differences and handed both parts of the movie to be directed by Jaume Collet-Serra.

I personally think that it will be the screenwriter that will have the huge responsibility in creating this movie. The director will simply convert on what the screenwriter has written onto the screen.

I think Morgan Freeman has been miscasted as The Colonel due to the fact that Morgan Freeman is old whilst The Colonel character is a middle aged character. Also, in Volumes 4-6 of the Manga, The Colonel character does alot of fighting in which I don't think Morgan Freeman would be able to handle at his age.

But I think Morgan Freeman's portrayal of The Colonel would be someone that will be spending alot of the time standing around and making Shawshank Redemption style speeches and words of wisdom speeches about Akira etc etc, as well as narrating the movie.

yethboth said:
the person who is going to direct both parts of this movie, who is spanish director Jaume Collet-Serra. This was the same director who made the rather awful american remake of the horror movie House Of Wax
My reaction, it is not fit for print.

vashdaman said:
[

This will probably bare no resemblance what so ever to Akira and just be an hilarious mess. I can see no reason to be bitter.

Dude - look at the thread!

Nah, I kid, I kid.

All I would say, in a spirit of friendliness, is: Don't mistake justifiable ire for unreasoned bitterness.

The point is that, unlike the Dragonball movie (which Genkina brought up) this has the air of a BIG movie about it. This is getting the blockbuster treatment, by all accounts, so we can expect it to be pushed on the public in a big way.

That's what sits at the root of so many people's concern, I think. It's the fact that this is a story that people have a fondness for, and we're all waiting to see, not so much IF it gets messed up, but HOW BADLY.

Imagine this: Say the book 'Of Mice And Men' was remade by Hollywood (it's already been done once) and re-imagined as an action flick, set in the sprawl of New York, with a tough talking, quick-thinking, sleeveless shirt-wearing Bruce Willis as Lenny. And in the end, Bruce gets the girl, blows up the Columbian drug cartel and rides off into a neat and carefully calculated sunset.

That treatment of the story would - understandably - cause long-time fans a good deal of indignation. The situation we've got here, truthfully, ain't all that different.

Off to take my rage pills now.

HdE said:
vashdaman said:
[

This will probably bare no resemblance what so ever to Akira and just be an hilarious mess. I can see no reason to be bitter.

Nah, I kid, I kid.

All I would say, in a spirit of friendliness, is: Don't mistake justifiable ire for unreasoned bitterness.

The point is that, unlike the Dragonball movie (which Genkina brought up) this has the air of a BIG movie about it. This is getting the blockbuster treatment, by all accounts, so we can expect it to be pushed on the public in a big way.

That's what sits at the root of so many people's concern, I think. It's the fact that this is a story that people have a fondness for, and we're all waiting to see, not so much IF it gets messed up, but HOW BADLY.

Imagine this: Say the book 'Of Mice And Men' was remade by Hollywood (it's already been done once) and re-imagined as an action flick, set in the sprawl of New York, with a tough talking, quick-thinking, sleeveless shirt-wearing Bruce Willis as Lenny. And in the end, Bruce gets the girl, blows up the Columbian drug cartel and rides off into a neat and carefully calculated sunset.

That treatment of the story would - understandably - cause long-time fans a good deal of indignation. The situation we've got here, truthfully, ain't all that different.

Apparantly, both parts of the movie is going to be 3 hours long and apparantly both parts of the movie is going to have a massive huge budget.

On that point of budget: Have we had any figures mooted at this stage? If so, maybe some kind soul could post them here so that we're all on the same page.

It's a point of interest to me, because I'd heard that the budget was actually pretty paltry. However, LOTS of details appear to be changing since the movie got the green light.

HdE said:
On that point of budget: Have we had any figures mooted at this stage? If so, maybe some kind soul could post them here so that we're all on the same page.

It's a point of interest to me, because I'd heard that the budget was actually pretty paltry. However, LOTS of details appear to be changing since the movie got the green light.

$90 Million, which these days it pretty damn pitiful for a supposed blockbuster http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=48541

HdE said:

Nah, I kid, I kid.

I completely understand how you feel HdE. Its just that I never, never expected a good live action Akira. So I got over my ire a long time ago, expecting such a treatment. So now I just feel that it changes nothing, we're just going to have a new rubbishy adaptation to laugh at. And if it's bad it might as well be really bad. I'd rather watch Mario bros (the movie) over Hitman or Avatar(the air bender) for example.

Hang on... how bad are we talking here?

Prisoner Cell Block H bad?

Coz if we see a Neo Manhattan with wobbly sets, I WILL concede that will have some chuckle value.

hey which anime do you guys want hollywood to keep there hands off besides akira

me- hollywood should keep there hands off all anime

altho live action queens blade would be awesome

animefreak17 said:
hey which anime do you guys want hollywood to keep there hands off besides akira

me- hollywood should keep there hands off all anime
It's like you're writing the dialog for some kind of ironic sketch show.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Garett Hedlund is in negotiations for Kaneda

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=49322

Damn, when I initially saw this my delusional mind thought that was Gerrard Butler, I was all like YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

But then I realised the truth and checked this Hedlund guy out on google as I never heard of him before. He's neither good enough nor bad enough for the role for me to get excited one way or the other :cry:

christian-bale-oscars-2011--b3777a124871f579.jpg

Bale as Kaneda? Oh yes. Oh very yes. How good would he look zipping through the streets on his super bike.

Haha. I told you, this isn't even going to be called Akira its going to be called Andrew lol.

She may also possess some abilities herself

Like special vampire powers? or how about the ability to turn invisible? Oh yes, Oh very yes!

This is shaping out to be just great so far [mr.Burns voice] excellent[/mr.Burns voice]

Back