Keanu Reeves Enters The Live-Action Akira Casting Saga

Raz112

Completely Average High School Student
The Live-Action Akira Casting Saga Continues.

Warner Bros and director Albert Hughes are now pushing for Keanu Reeves to play Kaneda in the remake of the seminal film.

But they have to convince Reeves himself before any talk of him playing the teenage boy the young man.

There has been many big actors rumoured with this project, but none committing. With Reeves now speculated, there's a sentiment that if he joins, then his clout 'might just have a domino effect in convincing other actors to sign on board'.
What do you think? Can you see him as Neo Kaneda in Akira? Is he the right man for the job?

Source - <a href="http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30902">EmpireOnline</a>

I think Keanu Reeves will be perfect for Kaneda... if you intend to make a comedy. The next job will then be to get Adam Sandler to write the screenplay and Ben Affleck to be Tetsuo. **** it, Elija Wood for the Colonel and Bruce Willis in a dress to play Kei.

"Also starring box-office heart throb Danny DeVito as Kei, a feisty young redhead who won't take 'no' for an answer…"

Raz112 said:
What do you think? Can you see him as Neo Kaneda in Akira? Is he the right man for the job?

No, Hollywood, Keanu Reeves is NOT the right man for the job, because he's THIRTY FIVE YEARS TOO OLD!

Akira is a story about Japanese KIDS living in JAPAN. Those are fundamental details to get right if ANY fans of the source material are going to respond favourably.

Really, what's wrong with casting younger actors in these roles? Why can't we get an adaptation that pays proper respect to the original story?

Whatever next? The Railway Children, starring PatrickStewart, Morgan Freeman and Helen Mirren?

Do it properly, Hollywood, or not at all, please.

HdE said:
Raz112 said:

Whatever next? The Railway Children, starring PatrickStewart, Morgan Freeman and Helen Mirren?

Actually, if Patrick Stewart's character gets psychic powers, I'm all up for that rollercoaster.

We all know this is going to be total crap but my god every bit of news that comes along is more depressing than the last,i wish they would just leave things alone,if people want to see or read Akira watch the anime or read the manga both masterpieces that Hollywood should leave the hell alone.

VivisQueen said:
HdE said:
Whatever next? The Railway Children, starring Patrick Stewart, Morgan Freeman and Helen Mirren?

Actually, if Patrick Stewart's character gets psychic powers, I'm all up for that rollercoaster.

So, that's one vote for 'Neon Milky Bubblegum Tank Crisis Moldiver III: Railway Panic!' then...

EDIT: You know, for the lulz, I invite y'all to participate in the poll I set up on my DA page. Here's the link:

http://hde2009.deviantart.com/journal/poll/2000843/

Be sure to run your ad blockers, though. That site's as bad as Facebook for malware.

nooooooo it will be just sooooo confusing - and WRONG- if he plays in both Akira and Cowboy Bebop :S

actually, they shouldn't be even thinking of such remakes.... hollywood is just ruining everything - out of ideas huuuuh?-

dacchan said:
nooooooo it will be just sooooo confusing - and WRONG- if he plays in both Akira and Cowboy Bebop :S

actually, they shouldn't be even thinking of such remakes.... hollywood is just ruining everything - out of ideas huuuuh?-

Only just noticed? Why else do you think they keep remaking films. If it isn't classics like Psycho and Assault on Precinct 13, then they remake foreign films like Ringu and Let the Right One In.

mangaman74 said:
dacchan said:

Only just noticed? Why else do you think they keep remaking films. If it isn't classics like Psycho and Assault on Precinct 13, then they remake foreign films like Ringu and Let the Right One In.

Oh no no, i havent JUST noticed it... but i kept it silent for too long :p
God, they r ruining the classics and any amazing Asian movie/anime they can get their hands on.... it's just sickening.

Kirsty said:
I thought he was spose to be in the Cowboy Bebop live action as Spike?

he'd be a good spike because he's skinny, and looks similar i guess, but everytime i hear his name the mental image of him being in the matrix comes up, he's a robot in most of his films, no emotions.

Spike needs someone who's tall, skinny, funny at exactly the right moments but only needs a line at best to do a good joke, laid back and headstrong.

i can only think of a few persons who could pull it off well/passable.

George clooney - okay bear with me on this one, if clooney was 20 years younger then he'd be great imo, (just watch oceans 11/12/13)

maybe leo di caprio, depends really :/ that'd be a barely passable one.

that guy who played anakin skywalker, he fits the build well actually.

Back