K-On Boxset & Haruhi movie Blu-rays Cancelled!

Just Passing Through said:
No Blu-ray check discs though, but if you want to know the specs for the DVD, it is a very nice native PAL conversion on 3 discs, loaded with extras, audio dramas and OVAs, a much needed improvement from Kaze after Vampire Knight.
Sounds great!

It also locks up your player tighter than a drum with UPOPs, stopping you from changing audio and subs on the fly and locking away the time elapsed display.
That's... not so great, but I could live with it.

Thanks for the rather exhaustive impressions. It was enough to send me over to Play.com, where I planned to pre-order the DVD... but didn't because they've finally clocked onto their pricing error and bumped it up to £24 like everyone else. For Samurai Girls I'm just not willing to lay down that much, so I'll hold out for a price drop.

So in other words, so long as they're not priced so aggressively they damage the core market, France and co can subsidise our rubbish blu-ray market. It seems like the only sensible way to do it, and at least Kaze are strong enough to be able to make the promise.

Manga UK have discarded all of the high value customers to keep pursuing the Naruto crowd, as their general attitude in their marketing makes clear. I wonder if Kaze can recapture it.

R

Rui said:
So in other words, so long as they're not priced so aggressively they damage the core market, France and co can subsidise our rubbish blu-ray market. It seems like the only sensible way to do it, and at least Kaze are strong enough to be able to make the promise.

Manga UK have discarded all of the high value customers to keep pursuing the Naruto crowd, as their general attitude in their marketing makes clear. I wonder if Kaze can recapture it.

R

It's not even a matter of subsidising it. It just makes the most logical sense, to put English language materials on a disc if you have access to them. A minimal print run of 3000 may be impossible for Manga to shift, but for Kaze, dropping 500 bi-lingual or tri-lingual discs into the UK market isn't going to hurt them when they can shift the other 2500 in France and Germany! It's the economy of scale that Manga needed!

Mmm, but I consider it subsidising in spirit that the good people of France and Germany are buying enough anime that we can get our little print run allocation here :)

I fully support the idea of lobbing English materials onto European discs as much as possible.

R

To be fair, if an extra £10 is all it takes for a BD to apparently not be cancelled...I can live with that.

Also the discs start with an option for French and English menus, and if you want to experience sheer jealousy, select the French menus. The English menus have no trailers, the French menus are loaded with Kaze trailers, Disc 1 autoplaying with a trailer for Kaze TV, trailers for VOD service with DVD quality trailers for Tiger & Bunny, Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Beelzebub etc, other Kaze discs like Roujin Z and Pandora Hearts, Kaze music like the Arriety soundtrack, and an Anna Tsuchiya CD, and trailers for Kaze manga. Makes me wish I spoke fluent French, Actually I wish I spoke fluent Japanese, but you get my drift.
You can probably feel my jelly vibes. Funnily enough, my Grandpa and Mum can speak French, my older brother knows a bit (And his girlfriend is a native French-Canadian) but I know little xD

You'll also have to link me to your review when you're done. I didn't even know the show existed until the release here was announced; nevermind seen it before xD

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Dannielle said:
Paradox295 said:
Wait...

...Manga/Kaze are releasing Black Lagoon on BD?!

First I'm hearing of this!

Yeah, its in Neo Mag ..if i read correctly its not just the OVA, its Seasons 1 & 2 too. :)

Will they be (re)releasing it on DVD too? *preps flame shield* I don't buy anime on blu ray usually.

Yep they are releasing it on DVD too, since they have answered my Twitter question on it :)

You know what, if Kaze offered that Garden of Sinners Box ala Aniplex I might have gone for it.

Oh well, so much the pitty. I'm not getting bit three times.

Kaze's pan-European approach is what I have been asking for for a while, hopefully it is a success. This won't move me personally to buy the turd that was Samurai Girls, though. ^^; Still not sure how they managed to make me not like that show, although totally lack of dynamism to the story or scenery didn't help. I'm not sure if they moved out of that backyard for six or eight episodes.

I can't understand this hardon for UPOPs though, a really petty and annoying way of putting people off buying your releases.

ilmaestro said:
Kaze's pan-European approach is what I have been asking for for a while, hopefully it is a success. This won't move me personally to buy the turd that was Samurai Girls, though. ^^; Still not sure how they managed to make me not like that show, although totally lack of dynamism to the story or scenery didn't help. I'm not sure if they moved out of that backyard for six or eight episodes.

I can't understand this hardon for UPOPs though, a really petty and annoying way of putting people off buying your releases.

Makes it harder to notice if you're using dubtitles.

Unfortunately I have VLC on my laptop, which bypasses UPOPs. I get a sinking feeling when the English subs match the English script, although I can forgive them when the English script is a closer translation of the Japanese dialogue.

NOTE: Not a specific complaint, just a generalisation. But it might become specific in a couple of releases... :?

Surely locking out the timer is just completely annoying with no reasonable purpose? My computer also overrides their overrides so it hasn't been a big issue, but I do raise an eyebrow whenever I watch something on my standalone set with that quirk.

I really hated how the Layton DVD had subs locked onto one track. We wanted to watch in English with English subtitles with someone, and we simply couldn't on my main player. I can understand locking the subs on for the Japanese track (however annoying this is) but locking them off for the English track is silly.

R

511AS-xvBeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Confirmation that it's just in a plain amaray case?

The US release was pretty barebones in terms of packaging so a standard case is likely, I would think. That cheesy UK cover is growing on me, I need to bump it up in my queue.

R

Joshawott said:
To be fair, if an extra £10 is all it takes for a BD to apparently not be cancelled...I can live with that.

Also the discs start with an option for French and English menus, and if you want to experience sheer jealousy, select the French menus. The English menus have no trailers, the French menus are loaded with Kaze trailers, Disc 1 autoplaying with a trailer for Kaze TV, trailers for VOD service with DVD quality trailers for Tiger & Bunny, Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Beelzebub etc, other Kaze discs like Roujin Z and Pandora Hearts, Kaze music like the Arriety soundtrack, and an Anna Tsuchiya CD, and trailers for Kaze manga. Makes me wish I spoke fluent French, Actually I wish I spoke fluent Japanese, but you get my drift.
You can probably feel my jelly vibes. Funnily enough, my Grandpa and Mum can speak French, my older brother knows a bit (And his girlfriend is a native French-Canadian) but I know little xD

You'll also have to link me to your review when you're done. I didn't even know the show existed until the release here was announced; nevermind seen it before xD

Here's the link you requested

Joshawott said:

Here's the link you requested

Thanks a lot. Fascinating review; there are a few other releases due out towards the end of this month that I have my eyes on, but I'll probably pick it up at some point on DVD; I doubt it would be worth the £35 online price of the BD, but a DVD should do.

Back