K-On Boxset & Haruhi movie Blu-rays Cancelled!

Just Passing Through said:
Mace20de said:
Regarding Samurai Girls, KazeGermany released it in 3x4episode volumes on BD for 30€ each + some goodies, £34,99 sounds pretty cheap to me for the whole show.

£34.99 is for the 3-disc DVD collection.

The Blu-ray collection is supposed to £44.99 and 2 discs. But it if too is a 3 disc collection, then that price makes a whole lot more sense.

It is pretty likely that KazeGermany, KazeFrance and KazeUK use the same masters. They are individual companies under the banner of viz media, but from time to time they work together.

p.s. has someone seen pictures of the finished UK product?

Well, the Samurai Girls BD is about £35 online (HMV and Amazon have it for £33).

So yeah, for a multi-disc BD release, can't argue with that.

Especially as the only multi-disc BD release I own is the complete Harry Potter (11 discs), which is pretty much the leftover warehouse stock of the films shoved into typical BD cases (Except the final 2 films; they share one four-disc sized case...makes the whole collection look really symmetrical, but that's a different story). That cost around £40 and is only Harry freakin' Potter. So £35 for a newly printed, niche release...sounds fair enough.

I should mention that I'm quoting (I assume as the DVD price isn't clear yet) the RRPs, not the discounted prices. The RRPs in this case are £10 more than what Manga usually charge for similar content.

Actually, maybe we are overdue for a price rise, after all, DVDs and BDs, especially in the anime niche, have avoided the inflation that has affected other industries, and indeed have comparatively declined in value. Maybe a £10 increase for a single cour show is fair given the last three years of price stagnation. Maybe it is time for Manga, MVM and Studiocanal to start nudging their RRPs upwards, if not quite as drastically.

I have to admit that seeing MVM selling Welcome to the NHK for £29.99 RRP makes me think that it is undervalued.

Maybe it is time for Manga, MVM and Studiocanal to start nudging their RRPs upwards, if not quite as drastically.

I talked about that with MangaUK and they aren't fond of the idea, but maybe they change their mind.

However, I don't think raising the RRP for Naruto, Bleach and similar shonen shows is a good idea, cause they would propably sell less copies that way.

Mace20de said:
Ian Wolf said:
Does anyone know how money MangaUK make per DVD or BD sold on average?

I don't know any exact numbers, but MangaUK stated that they make back 25%-33% per sold unit.

I have to say that was more than I was expecting. I thought it would be something like 10-20%.

Ian Wolf said:
Mace20de said:
Ian Wolf said:
Does anyone know how money MangaUK make per DVD or BD sold on average?

I don't know any exact numbers, but MangaUK stated that they make back 25%-33% per sold unit.

I have to say that was more than I was expecting. I thought it would be something like 10-20%.

Quite realistic, too. Take a look at the current HotD prices for the BD and DVD, I don't think that make 10% back with those prices.

Really disappointed by this. :(

What I gather from both MangaUK's statement and past history, and other members' views is that - and I'm probably echoing others' sentiments on this - a Blu-ray anime market is completely unsustainable in the UK with MangaUK's current scheme of cheap and cheerful packages. Yes, for a consumer, cheap DVDs/BDs are good, but only in the short term - eventually the seller is going to start taking a hit in their profit margins, thus reducing the amount of product they can put out (or in this case, not put out at all).

What I wouldn't mind seeing from MangaUK is a complete revamp in their product: Smaller batches of well-packaged DVDs and BDs, with extra goodies (posters, booklets, etc) - Premium Editions, Limited Editions, whatever you want to call them. Of course, this would also mean a step away from their current pricing scheme, as higher prices would be needed. I personally wouldn't mind paying £50-70 for a 26 episode series that came in such a way.

We either carry on in the current situation of Bu-ray never getting a chance to take off in the UK because it's too risky for the companies, or accept that we may have to start paying a little extra for our anime in this tiny, niche market.

Mace20de said:
It is pretty likely that KazeGermany, KazeFrance and KazeUK use the same masters. They are individual companies under the banner of viz media, but from time to time they work together.
And sometimes (In the case of Persona) utterly dick each other over.

jolu said:
Here's a question...

Would you be happier buying Kaze releases at the higher prices if all Manga Entertainment logos were removed from the discs and the packaging?

It's not a matter of logos. UK companies shouldn't be compared to the european ones.

It's true that Kaze makes you pay a higher price, but you get what you pay for in terms of packaging.

dscf2414q.jpg

dscf2423b.jpg

dscf2433n.jpg

dscf2430a.jpg

The box includes seven movies, (with seven OST's), booklets...

This can't be cheap, They will have to increase their prices.

Because Kaze's release of Vampire Knight in the UK looked just like that!

I posit a stronger distinction from Manga to get customer's minds away from Manga's pricing structure and accept Kaze as a separate entity with its own value for its own product. I also think that distancing themselves from Manga's PR strategy would be a bonus at this point.

This has no english subs, this looks awesome but how do you understand it

KubricAndScott said:
Could someone please tell me if the madman bluray of haruhi will play on uk ps3 ? Also do you guy think manga will still release angel beats ?

I've seen on other forums that the Madman Haruhi Blu-ray works on Australian and NZ PS3s for what its worth. Whether that translates to UK PS3s in anyone's guess.

As for Angel Beats Blu-ray... My own personal opinion is that I won't believe anything one way or another regarding Manga's release plans for it until it is actually released. Anything prior to that is nothing more than speculation.

For what it's worth, Manga's PR have confirmed that Samurai Girls on DVD is RRPing at £34.99 and that £15.99 label was a misprice. You might want to get those pre-orders in at Play toot sweet befoe they change it, and hope that they honour it.

For what it's worth, Manga's PR have confirmed that Samurai Girls on DVD is RRPing at £34.99 and that £15.99 label was a misprice. You might want to get those pre-orders in at Play toot sweet befoe they change it, and hope that they honour it.

They'll honour it. They once mispriced Gundam 00 vol 2 at £5.99 (when it was nearly new, supposed to be going for about £24.99) and I got it for that price.

Any idea if/when you'll be receiving a review copy? If Samurai Girls is an NTSC-PAL conversion, I don't want it.

Shame I don't even know if I want Samurai Girls yet.

EDIT:
They've changed the price to £23.99 anyways. Besides, if I wanted to pick it up I'd probably get the BD anyway...since getting the player I've gone BD mad.

When it comes in a nice package, it may warrant the price for someone who likes that show for some weird reason, but if its the standard MangaUK plastic brick with two discs, they produced a non-seller.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Any idea if/when you'll be receiving a review copy? If Samurai Girls is an NTSC-PAL conversion, I don't want it.

I received a review copy last October, back when it was scheduled for a November release. I review them with a view to the release date, so it kept slipping down the pile as the other review discs came in and the release date was pushed back to allow for a Blu-ray release. I only started reviewing it last night!

No Blu-ray check discs though, but if you want to know the specs for the DVD, it is a very nice native PAL conversion on 3 discs, loaded with extras, audio dramas and OVAs, a much needed improvement from Kaze after Vampire Knight. The image is sharp and free of most artefacts other than the typical shimmer on fine detail and noise that you find at the limits of the DVD format.

Other specs include, DD 2.0 Surround English, French, and Japanese with translated subtitles and signs in English and French.

It also locks up your player tighter than a drum with UPOPs, stopping you from changing audio and subs on the fly and locking away the time elapsed display.

Also the discs start with an option for French and English menus, and if you want to experience sheer jealousy, select the French menus. The English menus have no trailers, the French menus are loaded with Kaze trailers, Disc 1 autoplaying with a trailer for Kaze TV, trailers for VOD service with DVD quality trailers for Tiger & Bunny, Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Beelzebub etc, other Kaze discs like Roujin Z and Pandora Hearts, Kaze music like the Arriety soundtrack, and an Anna Tsuchiya CD, and trailers for Kaze manga. Makes me wish I spoke fluent French, Actually I wish I spoke fluent Japanese, but you get my drift.

Mace20de said:

When it comes in a nice package, it may warrant the price for someone who likes that show for some weird reason, but if its the standard MangaUK plastic brick with two discs, they produced a non-seller.
That's a good point. If it's just discs in a standard Amaray, it won't look nearly as attractive as the rest of MangaUK's cheaper catalogue.

Back