It's a (plastic) Gundam!!!

@DragoStark @Vincentdante I quite enjoyed it! It was quite a lot easier than I was expecting, the only bit of trouble I had was making the torso. I don't think I cut off enough or something, as there was a bit bit of plastic sticking out the back that was preventing me from attaching the next piece, so I had to prise it apart to get the piece out and cut it down, but barring that, it was pretty simple! I think next time I'd like to make something a little bigger maybe? I'm not sure, but I think I'd like to build another. Any tips on getting clean cuts would be appreciated!

Also, I had no idea about those feet guards haha, shows how much attention I was paying. I shall flip them over, at least it's an easy fix.

If you want bigger then the MG line is the logical choice and is more challenging as well if that's what you seek? This is the same mobile suit in MG format if you're interested.

Just be aware the MG line while a significant size increase does come with many smaller fiddlier bits. Here's an unboxing video to show you what it looks like.

A good tip for clean cuts I learned is to leave a space between the piece you are cutting and the spure it's attached to, so basically leave a chunk of the sprue on the piece when you are cutting then clean it up with the knife (or clippers for smaller bits) afterwards.

Day 7. Finished.
EVNr3JA.jpg

I feel totally outdone by Lemon though! Took me a couple of hours each day for a week to finish mine.

Things I learned.
  • Don't bother with stickers, they're far too fiddly and the ones I tried for the joints just got shredded when moving the arms/legs. Only really used the eyes in the end.
  • Panel lining makes everything look 200% better.
  • Not panel lining nub marks is hard.
  • Cut away from fingers.
  • Hands suck.

Day 7. Finished.
EVNr3JA.jpg

I feel totally outdone by Lemon though! Took me a couple of hours each day for a week to finish mine.

Things I learned.
  • Don't bother with stickers, they're far too fiddly and the ones I tried for the joints just got shredded when moving the arms/legs. Only really used the eyes in the end.
  • Panel lining makes everything look 200% better.
  • Not panel lining nub marks is hard.
  • Cut away from fingers.
  • Hands suck.

Looks good and congratulations. Lemon made the HG, you made an RG which is significantly harder so the time difference is only natural :)

Absolutely well done completing an RG as your first kit

Last edited:
@NoSurprises Yours looks way better though! Lining it does make a lot of difference. I think your model is slightly different than mine too?

@Vincentdante Hmm, in that case, I might do a few smaller ones first. I guess the only issue now is that I haven't actually seen much Gundam, so I don't really know what to build from here haha. I've only seen 079, Seed, Thunderbolt and Rec in G. Thanks for the cutting tips, I'll keep it in mind for future.

Not as impressive as Lemon or NoSurprises accomplishments but I updated my diorama with my new thunderbolt and wanted to show it off.

I removed the "Tristan" as it was a bit of an eyesore (poorly made model that keeps falling apart when you move it, stay away at all costs - my review) and gave it a new home with my Gundam bluray collection.

IMG_20190609_191437_resized_20190609_075952712.jpg

If you want bigger then the MG line is the logical choice and is more challenging as well if that's what you seek? This is the same mobile suit in MG format if you're interested.

Just be aware the MG line while a significant size increase does come with many smaller fiddlier bits. Here's an unboxing video to show you what it looks like.

A good tip for clean cuts I learned is to leave a space between the piece you are cutting and the spure it's attached to, so basically leave a chunk of the sprue on the piece when you are cutting then clean it up with the knife (or clippers for smaller bits) afterwards.
For a beginner I would recommend the Origin RX-78 over the Ver 3.0. The Ver 3.0 is essentially a 1/100 scale version of the RG.

I don't have a local model shop, the nearest hobby shop is 20 miles away so I'd have to order online. I can't find a UK seller.

Have you checked to see if Games Workshop have anything in their citadel line? Games Workshop stuff are good but a bit pricy or you could also look at Army Painter they are good as well.

Back