Issues with PlayUSA?

Ambrogino

Completely Average High School Student
I've been using play.com and their Region 1 arm perfectly happily since about 2000, but I've now had two items in a month go straight from pre-orderd to out-of-stock with no items being shipped. (Ah! My Goddss Flights of Fancy and Berserk boxed sets if you're interested). I can't tell whether it's really them getting in insufficient stock for all their pre-orders (which is pretty shabby to allow to happen on more than one item) or if they've got Amazon style problems with setting up an incorrect release date and never updating it or what. Usually Play are great with pre-orders, but a bit crap about re-supplying stockouts.

Anyone else had this issue on the same, or any other items?

I think Ah! My Goddess:Flights of Fancy may take awhile considering it's an ADV product, but i don't know you never can tell. im trying to see the same thing Air

Otaku-san said:
I think Ah! My Goddess:Flights of Fancy may take awhile considering it's an ADV product, but i don't know you never can tell. im trying to see the same thing Air

Is that "take a while to restock" or "tack a while to get to the UK" or something else? It was advertised as available on ANN for a couple of weeks, so if ADV never got any copies out I'd be surprised they'd waste money on advertising.

Thanks for the cross-posted information fabricatedlunatic. Websites really need a better way of identifying/notifying slipped dates.

Berserk is meant to be coming out in March now. I don't really care a great deal since there's little chance of me rewatching the series if the set at this moment in time.

Isn't the Ah! My Goddess S2 set over the customs limit at £22.99? If so, it's a bit dumb to order it in the first place. Think of it was a blessing if it hasn't bee sent yet.

Aion said:
Isn't the Ah! My Goddess S2 set over the customs limit at £22.99? If so, it's a bit dumb to order it in the first place. Think of it was a blessing if it hasn't bee sent yet.

Yes, it's over the limit. Even if it does get stung (which in my personal experience is only about a 1 in 5 chance) that'll add about £15 to the total price, which will still make it cheaper than buying the individual R2 disks, not all of which are out yet IIRC. And as it's a gift for my wife, it doesn't really matter to me what I pay for it.

So no, I don't think "it's a bit dumb to order it in the first place.". Your mileage may obviously vary.

It'd annoy me too much if I ended up paying near enough double what I would've paid if not for the bastards at customs (and the Royal Mail). I prefer to wait like a hawk for the chance to get the series second-hand or under the customs limit.

I watched the first season on DVD, tried to watch the second season on my PC and ended up putting it on hold due to it being less fun watching anime sitting in a stiff chair. I'll be getting S2 at some point in the future.

The AMG S2 boxset is Funimation (one of the Sojitz rescues) so there's no idea when or even if ADV will get to volume 2 in the UK.

I don't know what PlayUSA are like for re-stocking, but if they are like Play.com, then they will suck. A week minimum is what I usually have to wait for them, and the longest was three weeks.

I'm currently in the second week of waiting for them to get the other half of my Chevy D'Eon order to me... I guess the Christmas hiatus will stretch things out even further.

I got my AMG2 from DVD Pacific, £29 inc postage when there was $1.55 to the pound, and Customs let me off.

if the worse you've had to wait for a restock is only three weeks, you've escaped luckily so far. I've waited six months in the past before the item in question was cancelled, which is why I'm concerned that these items are displaying as "out of stock" rather than "release date moved"

Ambrogino said:
And I discover a thread in which you were complaining about the lack of actual discussion of anime as a reason for your immature behaviour. Is it any wonder the board's not picking up tons of dicussion, when you're posting garbage and trolling every other thread? Who can be bothered to wade through that?

Is it just me, or is this not actually Anime discussion, its more "PlayUSA Discussion" regarding anime. In anime discussions, he doesnt really troll much.

Spyro201 said:
Is it just me, or is this not actually Anime discussion, its more "PlayUSA Discussion" regarding anime. In anime discussions, he doesnt really troll much.

It seemed the right forum to post it in - the thread below it (currently) is about anime on-line. Is there a better sub-forum for this kind of discussion?

Otaku-San, you've posted again but haven't answered my question. What did you mean by "take awhile considering it's an ADV product,"?

PlayUSA have some great deals hidden under all the overpriced stuff. If you find an anime box set for £17.99 and under then you can be pretty sure it's the best deal you're going to get with the pound being so weak right now. I have the Berserk, Gundam: 08th MS Team and Wolf's Rain box sets all on pre-order at the moment. If not for me already owning 4/6 volumes I would've also ordered the Negima! box set.

I just hope they aren't daft enough to ship everything together in the event 2 or all 3 end up coming out around the samde time. It's fair to say I'd be a bit annoyed if I got hit with a massive customs charge because PlayUSA didn't think.

I love both play and playUSA, but they are pretty useless about letting you know when the release dates are put back on things, preferring to put it as out of stock instead. Usually a quite look around the net though will tell you that release dates have been put back or cancelled. Out of stock stuff can take an age to come back into stock sometimes or just be cancelled. I think with some dearer items though they seem to be out of stock until you order, yet within a few days they have stock and it is sent. I think they must do that to avoid overstock on stuff that won't sell many at full price. One of the best things about them though is if they can sell something for £17.99 or less they will, so you avoid duty.

My postman must hate me when several new volume ones and art boxes and/or box sets are released at the same time as I have seen him struggling with half a dozen or more quite sizeable boxes on occasion.

What's really annoying is when an item is supposed to be "in stock", the order is processed, then Play decide that they don't actually have it but neglect to inform you of this crucial fact. That happened with my Fantastic Children box set, which I paid for a week-and-a-half before they shipped it.

fabricatedlunatic said:
What's really annoying is when an item is supposed to be "in stock", the order is processed, then Play decide that they don't actually have it but neglect to inform you of this crucial fact. That happened with my Fantastic Children box set, which I paid for a week-and-a-half before they shipped it.

That's odd as they don't normally take money until they have the item to ship. Unlike the losers at movietyme that don't tell you if something is in stock or not, then take your money up front and hang on to it for months until they realise they can't get the items and cancel the order (which you can't as they only give credit refunds if you cancel).

They don't usually. It was mistakenly listed as "in stock" and they must have believed that it was, hence they processed the order. This has only happened a couple of times, though; they're great most of the time.

Back