Is anime inaccessible for those on lower income?

ayase said:
Smeelia, I'm perfectly fine with people giving their views and contrary to popular belief I don't talk with the intention of trying to shut people down. More and varied opinions being stated and debated is what these forums need, so please don't ever feel like you shouldn't do exactly that.
That's okay, I didn't think you were trying to shut me down.

ayase said:
I don't really think the argument that people should be able to afford anime if they have a home computer and internet connection really holds up in the modern day and age any more than suggesting that people with a fridge and electricity are well off enough to not be using food banks. Computers and the internet have got to the point where they're an almost unavoidable part of everyday lives - When I was on the dole I had to use the Jobcentre's online system to apply for jobs, so they pretty much presume everyone has internet access now however poor they are - if they don't they have to go into the Jobcentre or libraries to use theirs. A basic PC doesn't cost much more than a fridge or a cooker now anyway.
I wouldn't disagree, it was a government promise a while ago to make sure that everyone had access to a computer (and/or the internet, I forget the exact wording). I think it was Tony Blair's Labour Party that started it, so ages ago, but it seems to still be something that the government tries to maintain. As you say though, that does include access through a library or whatever (and there's probably some kind of exclusion for people in the middle of nowhere) so it's not always especially useful.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to say that people who can afford a computer could also afford to buy anime. My point was that people who can illegally stream should also be able to legally stream, view ads and support the industry that way. That said, If you have a bad computer/connection and can't really stream at all you might still be able to illegally download anime (legal downloads being less common and most likely costing extra) so just having a computer isn't a guarantee that you can contribute but I like that the bar is pretty low to get started and it's a shame people don't always seem to be aware of that. I guess it's also about being aware of how you might be able to contribute, even if you can't do as much as you'd like. Similarly, it's also a shame when people don't know they are contributing or don't feel they are even when they're doing their best.

At the end of the day, I think I prefer that people can access anime even if they can't contribute much/at all. That way, they can still enjoy it and hopefully when they reach a point that they can contribute then they'll still want to. Ideally, everyone would be able to view anime through some legal option but we're not quite there yet. To take that a step further, I suppose I'd prefer if we had a system where the people making anime could be supported without having to depend on an inefficient market that doesn't always reward those making the most effort but then that's not exactly an anime specific issue.

I can't think of any other niche media form that has so many different sites devoted to making it accessible free and legally. As geeky hobbies go, I'd say it's one of the most accessible out there if you know where to look for stuff.

Provided you have a semi-decent computer and basic Internet connection, there is a vast amount of free, legal anime out there for you to enjoy. My parents live in the middle of nowhere and their Internet is pretty dire, but I can still stream there if I switch to 480p after 6pm because I'm sure their ISP throttles their bandwidth then.

Smeelia said:
I wouldn't disagree, it was a government promise a while ago to make sure that everyone had access to a computer (and/or the internet, I forget the exact wording). I think it was Tony Blair's Labour Party that started it, so ages ago, but it seems to still be something that the government tries to maintain. As you say though, that does include access through a library or whatever (and there's probably some kind of exclusion for people in the middle of nowhere) so it's not always especially useful.

Broadband access to homes. Not providing computers, not through libraries, and not actually providing the access itself - just the infrastructure to make access possible.

edit: typo

Back