Introduction! Thread!

sic vita est

Dandy Guy, in Space
Hello one and all! I usually find announcing my presence in this way a little weird, but these forums seem closer-knit than others I've been on, so...

About a year ago I rediscovered anime whilst searching for that film from my childhood with the stone robots and flying island *coughverylatetwentiescough*. Then some friends introduced me to Ghost In The Shell, which they'd watched and deemed good but overly philosophical. And so it began.

Anime-wise I don't get the time to watch much and tend to flit between series to find something worth pursuing. It has to be said that I'm more into the dark / sci-fi side of it, so Texhnolyze and GitS have been highlights so far.

Manga-wise I deliberately intend never to get into it, mostly due to time restraints. The closest I'll likely ever get will be reading The Sandman at some point, which isn't that close but should be awesome.

And... that was longer than I intended. I'll see you all on the forums-proper!

sic vita est said:
Manga-wise I deliberately intend never to get into it, mostly due to time restraints.
Heh, you should see my bro read manga... done with it within the next 30mins... lol!
But yeah, if you're like me and want to savour the art a bit more, it can take a while each volume.

Hello, and enjoy your stay. :D

Hello and welcome!

My partner first got into things looking for that same certain film with the stone robots and flying island many years ago; I wonder how many other potential fans were initiated by a chance viewing like that...

If you need any suggestions for other dark/futuristic series to pick up, we have quite a few fans here into that side of things so just say. I'm not personally a fan of the two series you mentioned (love the GitS music) but I do enjoy the works of Satoshi Kon which might fit the bill despite being a little light on the sci-fi elements; have you had a chance to look at Paprika?

R

A GitS and Herzog fan with a Brom avatar. I largely stopped welcoming people after we had a flood of new members who created intro threads then buggered off but you, sir, deserve a welcome.

Oh and do read The Sandman. Oddly that's something which is also fresh in my mind today because I just devalued my precious hardbacks with coffee.

sic vita est said:
Then some friends introduced me to Ghost In The Shell, which they'd watched and deemed good but overly philosophical. And so it began.
Overly philosophical? 'Twas nothing of the sort—much was posited but little was analysed or persuasively argued, just as a work of entertainment needs to be.

On a separate note, I greet you. I myself profess little interest in Sand-men or anything chiefly involving sand, but I'm sure we have more to discuss than sand.

Does anybody here have any strongly held opinions of sand, of which I should be aware?

hey welcome here!
I'm on my early thirsties (yeah, the realization of my own age came as a shock to me... :p)
This is a anime fan friendly forum, regardless of age. As a matter of fact, many of the older members here are not in their teens anymore as well.

Aw, thanks guys and gal(s?).

Chaz: sadly I never could speed-read! I'm more the person who goes for full art books (the only one I own so far is an Andrew Wyeth autobiography). It's also about limited apce as well!

Rui: I suspect a large proportion of people around my age watched the dubbed Ghibli films as children without ever realising they were anime. How many saught them out later on is another thing entirely. Should've clarified that I've only seen the GitS movie, not the series! Kon's stuff is excellent, have seen both Paprika and Millennium Actress so far.

ayase: I think I caught that thread but was too tired to reply, but knowing how much my sister loves her Sandman hardbacks I can imagine how that feels. Would it console you if I mentioned it's only a financial loss if you ever intended to sell them again?

Zin5ki: I think they may have had a couple of beers and meant "why is this quoting Corinthians!?". They watched Innocence later though, so you can imagine what their response to that was. Gotta love Oshii, will be interesting to see what Skycrawlers is like. Regarding sand, I watched Glorious (Eddie Izzard) last night which featured a rare example of sand in comedy.

Kirrimir: thanks! I'm sure I will.

chaos: the wedding invitations are a constant reminder of my own age, never mind just remembering it! You're only as young as you feel and all that. I wonder if I may lose interest in anime at some stage, but a large part of it's a love of art and animation in general so I should hope not!

Looking at all that text it kind of seems like I'm trying too hard, but it seemed rude not to reply to everyone individually!

sic vita est said:
You're only as young as you feel and all that. I wonder if I may lose interest in anime at some stage, but a large part of it's a love of art and animation in general so I should hope not!
Very true. I have moments where I'm really into anime and the only thing I ever watch is anime. But I go without them for a few weeks as well from time to time.

sic vita est said:
Looking at all that text it kind of seems like I'm trying too hard, but it seemed rude not to reply to everyone individually!
Not really. It's actually kinda nice of you.

sic vita est said:
About a year ago I rediscovered anime whilst searching for that film from my childhood with the stone robots and flying island *coughverylatetwentiescough*.

Let me guess, 1988 and you saw it on TV? :)

chaos: yeah, I maybe tend to be a little binge-and-purge with anime. Like, watching the final 12 episodes of NGE last weekend amongst other stuff. I have about seven unwatched series staring at me from my shelf.

JamesX: howdy to you too! Thanks for the welcome.

Project-2501: it's like you're reaching into my childhood memories from the internet! I've also got that film back from a friend now, so I can actually watch it for the first time in 22 years.

welcome!

i tend to binge with the anime as well, i actually watched all of School Days in one sitting once, but you should try some of the manga whenever you get the chance, they tend to go into alot more detail than their anime counterparts :)

Project-2501: You wouldn't believe the weird looks I got from my friends when trying to describe the film to them. At least I know I wasn't just making it up now!

memorium: thanks! Speaking of purges I've not had time to watch any anime since making this thread. A binge may be forthcoming. I may make an exception to the manga thing for GitS, but I'll see how watching the 1st & 2nd GIG goes first.

"Yeah, its got this robot that has different sized eyes and flexy arms and legs"

One of the BMW R series bikes had different sized headlights and always reminded me of Laputa.

Belated welcome to the forums sic vita est. I am yet another one of the edler forum members also living in the latter years of my twenties. Not as old as Chaos though, he's in his 50's.

Great selection of anime to start there matey. I too was thrown back into anime with the help of GitS, however it was the Stand Aloneseries for me having seen the movie when I was 12.

See you around the threads svita.

Voddas said:
Belated welcome to the forums sic vita est. I am yet another one of the edler forum members also living in the latter years of my twenties. Not as old as Chaos though, he's in his 50's.
And in a body of a 80 yo =)

Back