Illegal Downloaders to be Banned from Internet

McIcy

Mushi-shi
This could be a problem for those of use who like to watch anime from fansubbers

People who download music and films illegally face being cut off from the web under plans being considered by ministers.

Internet service providers (ISPs) could be legally obliged to take action against those who access pirate material.

Users suspected of breaking the rules would be subject to a "three strikes and you're out" policy, receiving an e-mailed warning first, followed by a suspension, and then finally termination of their internet contract.

The Government is expected to confirm that it intends to legislate on the issue when it publishes a green paper on the future of the creative industries next week.

Broadband firms who fail to enforce the rules could reportedly be prosecuted, and details of suspected customers made available to the courts.

A draft of the green paper, obtained by The Times newspaper, states: "We will move to legislate to require internet service providers to take action on illegal filesharing."

Some six million people are estimated to download files illegally every year in the UK, costing music and film companies billions in lost revenue.

Major ISPs such as BT, Virgin and Tiscali have been in talks with the entertainment industry over introducing a voluntary scheme for policing pirate activity, but no agreement has been reached.

Sticking points are thought to include how disputed allegations would be arbitrated - for example, when customers claim other people have been "piggybacking" on their internet service.

A spokesman for the Internet Service Providers Association told The Times it remained hopeful that a deal over a voluntary system could still emerge: "Every right-thinking body knows that self-regulation is much the better option in these areas."

This is just taking things to a whole new level, and they are totaly over doing it in my opinion. Although i agree that business do lose money, its there fault for not airing anime in england with subtitles! :p

i can see the smaller companies suddenly becoming massive as people migrate to them if this does happen.

Lets face facts here, you've more chance of banning Alcohol than Piracy

Yeah, I just read this one as well.

Oh yes, ISP's can totally dive through all content that everyone is downloading and define what is "illegal" and what "isn't" and serve you for being a bad person. Even the encrypted stuff.

And of course there's no chance of legitimate sites, downloads and means being restricted as a result of such attempts.

And there's no possible chance that new means and methods of circumvention would route around whatever attempts they made at restriction anyway. Really, none at all.

Politicians uh... don't really understand how this whole internet thing works do they?

Their funeral. Best case scenario: 15 people are left on the internet and the economy only half dies because they keep sending £1,000 to polite men in Nigeria.

kupoartist said:
Their funeral. Best case scenario: 15 people are left on the internet and the economy only half dies because they keep sending £1,000 to polite men in Nigeria.

Hey, he told me I was his only business partner! You just want a piece of the pie for yourself huh? WELL I WON'T LET YOU!

Never going to happen! Its simple business,

1, it will be too costly to monitor this to see who's doing what
2, access to public information is guaranteed in both UK and EU human rights information
3 the most important thing if the ISP's enforce this they are throwing away paying customers in a highly competitive market which will hurt their profits and the Government's tax income!

Plus if they cut off everyone who downloads illegal content no one will be on the net at all :p

Hybridchild said:
Never going to happen! Its simple business,

1, it will be too costly to monitor this to see who's doing what
2, access to public information is guaranteed in both UK and EU human rights information
3 the most important thing if the ISP's enforce this they are throwing away paying customers in a highly competitive market which will hurt their profits and the Government's tax income!

Plus if they cut off everyone who downloads illegal content no one will be on the net at all :p

First thing is i agree with that last statement so much, most people who use the internet regularly will be doing some kind of illegal act on here.
Also they will probably spend about the same, if not a bit less, in order to find out what everyone is doing at each given time, then check whether this is legal or not. Its the worst way of doing things :p

Plus I forgot my ISP email log in over a year ago so I can never check the emails they send me so I'd never know if I got an email in the first place

If policing the internet were as easy as this, someone would've done it already. The government are merely trying to be seen to be doing something when in actuality all but those who file share on a considerable scale will not be affected much at all.

In other words, I'll believe it when I see it. Which is probably 'not in the forseeable future'.

Martin said:
If policing the internet were as easy as this, someone would've done it already. The government are merely trying to be seen to be doing something when in actuality all but those who file share on a considerable scale will not be affected much at all.

In other words, I'll believe it when I see it. Which is probably 'not in the forseeable future'.

They could ban the entire internet I suppose, but then they'd be voted out of office faster than you can say "Facebook". :mrgreen:

Back