I still like Anime, but...

Agreed, There's already word that Batman will be given his next solo film after the Justice League movie, which will reboot him. I'm more wondering if they'll be rebooting Superman or if he'll be designed to seamlessly fit into the Justice League with the Man of Steel movie next year. Green Lantern will be rebooted probably as i'm guessing. Though with GL 2 on the way covering the Sinestro Crops storyline (pure conjecture at this point but it's a fair guess) I'm guessing he'll be in the Justice League as he is.

I can see what you mean about demographics, and I suppose Batman would be more suited to an adult audience rather then Superman who is more clear cut in his morals and his ways then Batman.

Just realised that we're going slightly off topic with this. Though I am enjoying this talk about comic book movies.

Well if it's classed as a hentai then ok.

Anyways I'm following one piece, naruto shippuden, bleach, im gettig the series of fairy tail but haven't watched it yet I'm waiting til I get a few more vol of the series to start it. Anyways I'm really getting in to one piece it's been like 4 or 5 mouths since I last watched it on DVD iv seen eps 130 and I'm just waiting til I get more of the DVDs to continue, the same gose with bleach and naruto. Anyways I honestly thought one piece at first looked like a silly silly anime first glance but after you get in to in it drags you in. In other words one piece and the other long series keeps you wanting more.

On te topic I love anime as much as any body but the thing is iv watched soooo many and such I for the life of me can't remember te names o the characters names and sometimes lose concentration and so I have to rewind a few min to what iv seen* maybe this is one of those things, that your watching something new and it doesn't hype you up like a few of your fav animes* and as for the names most of them are Japanese and I lose frame of who's who with them * maybe if I rewatched them over an over again I'l get it right* but sometimes I'l lose track of the names

BlackWolf said:
It is kinda weird that the DC animated stuff has been consistently better then Marvel's animated output which peaked in the 90s. I mean Green Lantern: First Flight is a much better watch then the Green Lantern movie. However for me the Marvel movies have been better then DC's stuff (I'm not a huge fan of Nolan's realistic batman...in fact i'm not a fan of realistic movies in general. I don't want to see things that could happen, I want to see things that can only happen in the movies like superpowered heroes or aliens)

I dunno, Hulk Vs. was a pretty good set of films, but yes, much of Marvel's animated films have not been all that brilliant, but Wolverine and the X-men and Spectacular Spider-man were decent shows, and Earth's Mightiest Heroes is supposed to be good too. I think people can get a little too rosy-eyed about the 90's animated shows, they weren't all as great as people remember, Spider-man was decent but it had its own share of problems, like that ridiculous...what, like 9 part story arc about Morbius? That dragged so badly...

ilmaestro said:
Was this thread (whilst not being a "Japan v the West" thread, as you say) actually specifically supposed to be about good Western animation, though, rather than "sometimes I do other things rather than watch anime"?

The topic was about me finding love and quality in Western Animation again, which is making me dissatisfied with Japanese Animation. If we are comparing the current output, then I found myself looking forward to the next episode of Gravity Falls rather than what is coming out of Japan. And I am keeping up to date, but something doesn't spark me.

Hell, I still have my backlog that I need to watch, but I find myself doing other things. But if the next episode of Gravity Falls or Tron: Uprising... or even Futurama comes on, I'm on it like a hawk.

I know everyone has a phase, but... I'm surprised that I went back to western animation. And I absolutely love what they are pumping out. When you spend so long in the anime fandom, you get it drilled in your head that cartoons sucks. I'm just really glad in a way that animations I love can be created by people that I'm culturally similar with.

Surely most people in anime fandom don't think western cartoons suck? I find a lot of western cartoons difficult to get into but there are definitely gems out there, and I'm probably one of the more unenthusiastic people when it comes to locally produced entertainment.

The vocal minority of whiny people with a need to show off is definitely worth ignoring if you're enjoying something.

R

Well to be honest I like western animation but I do not like the show adventure time its so silly looking * mind you I said one piece looked silly but i ended up likeing it*

What I like about anike is that most anime concentrate on the story of the series * yeah theres a few fillers but hey what can you do* Im not much for manga but when I find a manga I like I read it to the end

Western animation is cool, but my problem is just that there's less of a variety in it. I'm just not interested in children's comedy shows, superhero cartoons, and in my opinion The Simpson's and Futurama should be banned from TV because they are so tired now.

However, some of the more artful western animated movies like Chico & Rita or the Illusionist, are amazing . Western animation can brilliant, but the American stuff I see on TV just bores me more often than not.

I also do like some of the older Disney films that I'm somewhat nostalgic about. I saw a bit of Robin Hood when it was TV the other day, and it was as brilliant as ever.

With that said though, I still probably watch less anime than most here. I'll often go months without watching any, not so much because I don't want to but just because it's not a priority of mine and I forget. Then by the time I do get around to watching some there's usually a fair bit of good stuff to get stuck into.

animefreak17 said:
Well to be honest I like western animation but I do not like the show adventure time its so silly looking * mind you I said one piece looked silly but i ended up likeing it*
So have you actually watched it or solely basing your opinion on how it looks?

This was a phase i went through last year. After years of honestly boring cartoons being produced here in the west it seems that with lots of new talent has come a plethera of awesome western animated shows that are pulling a lot of anime fans back that way. Amazing shows like Adventure time, Regular show, Young Justice, Avengers, Legend of Korra, Tron Uprising, Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb and plenty more with better comedies and serialized story shows actually being produced its no surprise people are going back.

Yeah the old Disney films are the best

What I like about anime is that it does stuff that western companies are to **** ya pants scared to put swearing, blood, violence, super sad story's, fan service, anything that makes stuck up parents complain about anything anime has freedom to have anything it wants * mind you parents don't see anime on tv anymore so yeah*

animefreak17 said:
What I like about anime is that it does stuff that western companies are to **** ya pants scared to put swearing, blood, violence, super sad story's, fan service, anything that makes stuck up parents complain about anything anime has freedom to have anything it wants
You ever heard of Todd McFarlane's Spawn?

Sy said:
animefreak17 said:
What I like about anime is that it does stuff that western companies are to **** ya pants scared to put swearing, blood, violence, super sad story's, fan service, anything that makes stuck up parents complain about anything anime has freedom to have anything it wants
You ever heard of Todd McFarlane's Spawn?

Well there are exeptions

Spawn was actully good

But name me 5 western animations that have all the above Besides spawn and was recently made * 4kids can suck it

Ammish said:
ilmaestro said:
Was this thread (whilst not being a "Japan v the West" thread, as you say) actually specifically supposed to be about good Western animation, though, rather than "sometimes I do other things rather than watch anime"?

The topic was about me finding love and quality in Western Animation again, which is making me dissatisfied with Japanese Animation.
Hmm, interesting. Not quite either of the ones I thought, then, but definitely not just "sometimes I do other things rather than watch anime". The thread title was a bit misleading. ^^; I'm not sure why one influences your opinion on the other, though - the worst possible thing imo would be for animation to become like the video game industry, where one side of the world thinks it's a good idea to try to specifically appeal to the other, and at other times vice versa.

When you spend so long in the anime fandom, you get it drilled in your head that cartoons sucks.
Like Rui, my first thought was "you do?". Certainly I don't think you'd ever read a glib statement like that on this forum.

Although I don't personally think there has been a Western cartoon as good as Fillmore! since that ended (the guilty pleasures of MLP:FiM aside), I think most people recognize it as a matter of taste. I had heard good things about Phineas and Ferb amongst others, but the current design approach to most Western animation still doesn't reel me in like it did when I was a kid and loved ThunderCats, Visionaries, etc.

I guess one of the main films that comes to mind is the Batman Under the Red Hood film. That film starts out pretty brutally, deals with mature themes and isn't aimed at children. Aeon Flux, again, aimed to a more adult audience. Then there are other animated films, that may not contain copious amounts of violence or sex are still adult in their context such as Persepolis and Waltz for Bashir.

Really though I do think you're kinda missing a beat by maybe thinking that something has to contain violence and swearing to be good or maybe more accurately 'dark' and therefore good. The way the story is told creates that atmosphere and can be more effective and original by actually restraining itself from showing a lot of that.

Not exactly recent, but I've always thought Monkey Dust is a great example of what Western animation can produce when it aims towards a more mature audience. Shame that the second and third seasons never got a DVD release, and that the BBC doesn't seem to want to show it anymore.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
I dunno, Hulk Vs. was a pretty good set of films, but yes, much of Marvel's animated films have not been all that brilliant, but Wolverine and the X-men and Spectacular Spider-man were decent shows, and Earth's Mightiest Heroes is supposed to be good too. I think people can get a little too rosy-eyed about the 90's animated shows, they weren't all as great as people remember, Spider-man was decent but it had its own share of problems, like that ridiculous...what, like 9 part story arc about Morbius? That dragged so badly...

Ah! How could I forget this? Loved this show. Took bits from the 90s animated series/live action films/modern comics version and made them into a very good show, so good in fact, that it was cancelled after one season :evil: . Just when they were about to do Age of Apocalypse too (and we would've got Deadpool!)

Also, rosy-eyed nothing, I've got all the 90s Spiderman series and most of X-men series and they still stand up well. Only down thing about the Morbius plot was that they had to say "plasma" instead of blood. Confused the young me at first as I automatically thought of "plasma" gun, 'you can't eat lasers :? '.

i miss X-men evolution that was a great cartoon, i miss he-man too. i heard that there was going to ne a season 3 after the snake men but they went and cancelled it. i also miss teen titans and the justice league i miss batman the animated series, batman of the future was ok,

tom and jerry i like, iv seen the new series but it doesn't have the classic hurt tom and hear him scream.

ok maybe it might be a phase but i still like anime alot and there are loads of series i haven't seen and are looking forward to watching but i won't give up watching anime because each anime has its own style, story, characters, genre, comedy, adventure, horror ect ect ect and thats what keeps me going knowing theres a anime series i haven't seen yet and to rewatch them when i have time. im not going to say every anime iv seen was fantastic then anything iv seen in my life cause there are animation and live action movies and series out there that are so awesome, also iv seen a few anime that rather bored me e.g. boogiepop. anime i thought was over the top awesome e.g gurren largann.

can we just say theres a time and a place and watch what ever we like anime or not

As much as i love anime, i also love western animation aswell. I Have a load of Batman: The Brave And The Bold dvds, Spectacular spider-man DVDS, a bunch of Marvel and DC animated movies, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles season 1&2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles Forever and Batman the animated series. And i think everyone feels like watching a western cartoon every now and then.

And i also love Ed Edd n Eddy!

Back