How many anime have you dropped?

I'm not much into keeping score on something like MAL, so I don't think a lot about dropping things. If I watch a show I don't enjoy, I usually just move on without giving it much further consideration, unless it was for the podcast.

The only anime I can remember aggressively dropping offhand are GATE, Psycho-Pass and DNA2.

FM Brotherhood is awesome. Baccano was nice but Durarara is better in my opinion. Durarara x2 has been growing on me on the third part. Both first and second were ok. Maybe I wasnt in the mood for it at the time but I still did watch it cause I like the franchise.

If i drop a show after 1-2 episodes i don't usually list them on MAL so i have no idea how many series i have actually dropped but currently there's 10 (well the count actually is 12 but two of them aren't there because i dropped them per say) titles on the list.

Even if i hate a show i'm usually OCD enough to finish it if i have watched it for awhile so most of the stuff i drop are thing's that i notice right away being bad or not for me (the usual reason)

The only two shows that i have dropped and are worth commeting are Shirokuma Cafe and Galaxy Express 999.

Shirokuma i watched 33/50 and the reason i dropped it so close to the end because i thought there was huge dip on quality around halfway and i'm not just talking about the animation. The first half is great but the characters feel off on the second half and the writing is not on the same level that it used.

Galaxy Express otherhand was the sort of show that i just couldn't decide whether i should drop it or not. It can be interesting and moody but more often the show is just stupid and repetitive.

Though for some reason just couple of days ago i started to feel like i could watch couple more episodes of it (the last time i watched it was about year and half ago)

In total I have officially dropped 16 Anime, I tend to mainly watch shows that appeal to me meaning I don't usually tend to watch as many new shows compared to others at the start of every season, which is the reason my drop list is quite low after 6+ Years of Anime watching. Whatever has been dropped has been dropped literally for two reasons a) it just wasn't for me, or b) the show is just too long for me personally to really consider watching, there are shows that have been 'On-Hold' now for a number of years some I can't actually finish due to logistical reasons and others because I never got round to finishing them, but I still have every intention of finishing them at some point (whenever that may be).

The list with brief reasoning as to what led potentially to dropping, some of this is kind of hazy though as it's been a while.
Boku no Imouto wa "Osaka Okan" (1/12) - The only show I've dropped I think due to having significant barrier for cultural differences.
Chitose Get You!! (2/26) - Didn't really care at all about it, actually preferred the manga but it was on JManga and has never been made available again. Might return to it one day.
Ai Mai Mii (3/13) - Poor Man's Teekyu, Just felt too zany for me, though another candidate to return to at one point on good authority reasons.
Devil Survivor 2 the Animation (6/13) - The most bland, uninteresting characters I have ever come across in an Anime Series, characters to me are the most important aspect of a series and when you have a cast you just don't have any feeling empathy for, well...
Ace of Diamond (5/75) - Throughly unlikeable cast in a show that your meant to root for them is a sure fire turn off.
Hetalia Axis Powers (11/52) - 100% Failed The Six Laugh Test at that point of the show.
Chronicles of the Going Home Club (3/12) - This is definitely a kind of series I should like but it just didn't grab me, willing to give this another shot at some point.
Kuroko's Basketball 2 (13/25) - Just lost patience with the series.
Naruto (19/220) - Definitely have seen more, but I just can't really get into watching it through again due to length.
Naruto: Shippuden (10/-) - Again just due to length.
One Piece (26/-) - Length, also very galcially paced and I Despise Monkey D. Luffy as a character.
Ranma 1/2 (40/161) - Length again, I was importing the DVD versions of the show which was a major expense I just couldn't justify, I shortly dropped all imports shortly after (PlanetAxel's demise was also a factor!)
Recorder and Randsell (1/13) - HOOOOTTT GAAAAARRRRRBAAAAGGE!
Senyu. (3/13) - Just completely unfunny.
Strange+ (6/12) - Barely remember anything about this series, I know it wasn't good though.
Walkure Romanze (3/12) - Not even the presence of the lovely Celia Cumani Aintree can make get through this train wreck of a series.

When I put some on hold, its almost like say they will be dropped lol Its like, they go on hold cause I lost the temporary mod for them and very rarely I will go back to them. Last jojo series is stopped for ages now and I will probably dropped. I think I got enough Jojo, can't find it engaging enough anymore. Same will go for the last Gintama series and its not the one airing now. Even though I like it, its just to long and some episodes arent that great. I struggle in those until some funny ones come along and then I continue a bit more but eventually the struggle continues.

However, sometimes I look at the dropped list and try to pick one up for the fun and try to continue. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

I currently have 38 titles on my hold list and i wonder how many of those i will come back to during the next five years. A lot of those are things that i have watched like 1-3 episodes and didn't really feel like focusing on and i ended putting them on hold.

Many of them are actually decent shows but sometimes your brain just says no :D

My latest drop is Saga of Tanya the Evil. I've watched 3 eps and while it was not that bad, it was nothing outstanding. Besides Tanya, there's no other interesting character and even her... The animation was ok but I don't feel the need to find out what happens next so that was it. I remember watching the PV for this show and thinking "this might be cool" but in the end, it didn't meet my expectations. Since my time is short for so many content these days, I just want to stick with stuff that makes me want to see/play more. Tanya didnt survive though...

PS: I thought about creating a thread called "What was your last dropped anime" but since, apparently, people dont drop that much, I've decided to do it in this thread.

I always see things through to the end, so zero. I came close with saikano though...

I am surprised people hate GATE so much i really like it...

I've only started dropping shows in the past year or so, those being:

Accel World
Bleach - I started watching the show back in ...2008. It just started to feel like a drag so I placed it on hold, it never left hold & went right into dropped. Read the Manga spoilers instead.
Fairy Tail - Watched 25 episodes I think, wasn't a huge fan. For how negative I felt about the show, I wasn't going to continue with that episode count.
Sailor Moon Crystal - Bad animation killed it. May pick up again as I've heard there's a big improvement later on.

I've dropped Sengoku Collection & Naruto too, which I watched a fair bit of but that was before I started logging.
I should've dropped Comet Lucifer. Hope is a strange feeling.

If I only watch a couple episodes I won't add the show to my list.

EDIT: As for on hold, I've had Ranma 1/2 at 112/161 for years, since 2009 maybe. I only placed it on hold as at the time I couldn't get hold of the next box set :( I'm determined to finish one day but it's a matter of importing all the blu's and that's a hefty price tag.

Once something goes on hold, it will never go beyond that xD I Got a few now for a while there and I don't see myself going back to them so they will be dropped for sure.

Yeah Naruto and Bleach are 2 others I've dropped in the past. I've started watching Bleach when it began airing and Naruto around ep 75 from 1º season. Bleach I dropped around 150 and I never saw the last 100 fillers from the main Naruto series. Shippudden I've dropped at ep390. Just couldnt take it any longer...

Sometimes I go to my dropped list and see if I feel sympathy for some title there to pick it up again and continue to watch but usually I end up not picking anything.

Last edited:
I've never stopped watching anything in the middle of it, but if not wanting to watch another series counts as dropping then I guess I've dropped Shakugan no Shana.

Honestly, if I'd had to sit through the writers padding out the running time of series 2 with Yoshida agonising "I love Sakai-kun" just one more time...

6c132f984fb631f69ed18ef32b617f3830fd8944_hq.jpg

And yet I enjoyed series 1.

My god, I completely forgot about Beyond the Boundary. I splashed out on the Blu-ray version after reading a certain very favourable review of it.

The reviewer promised me "a mix of intense action, deep story and exciting and deep characters, the likes of which I have not seen in some while." He enthused how he "could keep going on and on about all of the various hooks and character developments that are opened up" in the series.

What I got were a bunch of one-note cliché character types, thrown together at the very beginning without any convincing story build-up; repetitive, implausible dialogue between characters displaying no camaraderie; tiresome "quirks" in place of personality; and none of the promised character development. Even the action scenes, which were the main focus of the trailer I watched, couldn't save it for me. And the short sketches included in the BD extras were painfully unfunny.

It wasn't a memorable series; about the only thing I can recall about it by now is Mirai's constantly repeated catchphrase. If I had to listen to her say "Fuyukai desu!" ("That's so unpleasant") just one more time... (See above post.)

Apparently Manga are releasing the pair of films. Yay.

My god, I completely forgot about Beyond the Boundary. I splashed out on the Blu-ray version after reading a certain very favourable review of it.

The reviewer promised me "a mix of intense action, deep story and exciting and deep characters, the likes of which I have not seen in some while." He enthused how he "could keep going on and on about all of the various hooks and character developments that are opened up" in the series.

What I got were a bunch of one-note cliché character types, thrown together at the very beginning without any convincing story build-up; repetitive, implausible dialogue between characters displaying no camaraderie; tiresome "quirks" in place of personality; and none of the promised character development. Even the action scenes, which were the main focus of the trailer I watched, couldn't save it for me. And the short sketches included in the BD extras were painfully unfunny.

It wasn't a memorable series; about the only thing I can recall about it by now is Mirai's constantly repeated catchphrase. If I had to listen to her say "Fuyukai desu!" ("That's so unpleasant") just one more time... (See above post.)

Apparently Manga are releasing the pair of films. Yay.

Beyond the Boundary grew on me... DVD Review Jan 2016, Blu-ray Review Dec 2016

Back