How many anime have you dropped?

bakum4tsu

Pokémon Master
How many anime have you dropped? For what reasons?

Lately I find myself dropping quite a few anime. I used to watch everything until the end but things have changed.

I'm choosing anime to watch more and more carefully lately cause my free time it's not the same anymore. I became a father last year so things just went nuts (in a good way). For that reason, and some others, I don't give a chance to a lot of shows outside of my favourite genres cause its just not possible anymore. And still in my favourite genres, I see a few episodes and then decide if I continue or not.

Until what episode do you watch a series before deciding to drop it or not? Have you been halfway through an anime and dropped it? I've dropped anime at ep 21 and the series was 26. I just couldnt take any longer lol

Usually I give a chance between 1 and 3 episodes to see if I like but lately there's situations where I see more and I'm halfway or almost there but I just don't have the will to keep watching though I'd like. I got 2 animes in this situation and they are The Heroic Legend of Arslan part 1 (ep22/25) and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable (10/39).

Arslan started really well but halfway through it I've started to get bored. Now I'm only missing 3 eps but I have started watching some other series and this one is getting behind. Now about Jojo, I have enjoyed Jojo a lot until this series. Seems like I got myself Jojo worn out but I would like to see the rest though that's another 29 episodes and I got feeling there will be more seasons in the future...

In case you're curious, you can see here my dropped list.

I currently only have 11 anime dropped, according to MAL. With almost 250 completed entries on my MAL, I think this is a fairly decent number of anime to have dropped, as it's not too excessive. It's incredibly rare that I'll actually drop a show, as even some of the worst anime I've seen, I've seen through to the end. Looking at the list, most I dropped out of boredom. To name a few, Dragon Ball Z (39/291 watched), which had too much filler, Shaman King (23/64 watched), which was just kind of going nowhere and Samurai Champloo (19/26) because it just wasn't really my cup of tea.

There are only really two on there I dropped out of active dislike: OreGairu (Romantic Teen Snafu whatever) Season 2 (4/13 watched), which is genuinely the worst thing I've ever seen in my life (full thoughts here, if you're curious) and was physically painful to watch, and Ninja Slayer The Animation (7/26 watched), which was just an extraordinarily unfunny and repetitive waste of an idea, paired with some unfathomably poor animation, which despite being done on purpose, was still bad.

There's a couple on there that I dropped out of unusual circumstance such as Dragon Ball Kai (2014), which I dropped because the fan sub group I was using stopped working on the show, and Yu-Gi-Oh GX due to CR's inconsistent release days, which I just gave up keeping track of. I'd probably revisit both of those at some point.

My full dropped list is here.

Last edited:
First of all congrats on becoming a father! Many adventures and good times to come.

From your list, I'm quite surprised at someone dropping when they cry after just 1 episode, I know that it gripped me right from the first episode but ho hum. Also, you dropped Madoka without even watching it! ;) I get it, It's sickly Magic girl garbage from the first few eps but it's all right by the end...

Anyway as for me, I haven't dropped many throughout the years but the one I remember most is Beck. I got to episode 18 and realised I wasn't really watching it, just it's on and I'm in the same room. I guess its cause I'm not that into music and they just kept throwing band names and references at me. Also, the music they played was pretty rubbish and I had given up trying to like any of the characters by that point. Just wasn't my cuppa tea.

Last edited:

I generally only watch shows that I'm interested in and think I will enjoy and/or generally come highly recommended. My overall ratings on MAL lean pretty high for the same reason. I also don't watch long-running shows (FMA:B is the longest show I've ever watched), so in the off-chance I come across something I'm not enjoying, it's not too much effort to just see it through to the end.

I stopped watching shows streamed last March, but have every intention of picking things up where I left off. But back then, with every episode of Jojos that I watched, I always swore that it would be the last time I fell for its testosterone fuelled hyperbole, but then I'd wind up watching another. Up to then I watched everything that I started to completion.

There are very few shows on physical that I have dropped, distributors tend to drop them for me by stopping their releases. But I have dropped Dragon Ball Z Kai, Dragon Ball GT, Nura Rise of the Yokai Clan, Nisekoi (never got past the first season), the Ninja Scroll TV Series, MVM's Sailor Moon, the first Ikki Tousen, maybe a couple of others.

EDIT: Ooh, Nisekoi was a streaming show I dropped.

I used to blind buy everything before the streaming revolution and because I had invested I rarely dropped anything. My lifetime dropped list on physical media is something like this:

New Gall Force
Chaos;Head

(Actually, I might have finished Chaos;Head but I definitely checked out mentally long before the end.)

Everything else I've forced myself to continue with through the to bitter end, or at least until the licensor beat me to it and dropped it before the release was complete. With streaming, however, there's a lot more choice and a lot less reason to continue beating myself up watching something I'm not enjoying. I try to sample at least one episode of everything each season so my list of 'dropped' titles is huge. If I get past the first episode, it's rare for me to drop something later unless I simply realise I took too many shows on board and need to free up some time, in which case the weakest title gets the chop. Or sometimes it will only be a temporary drop, like it's a show I love but it's on Animax and I can't tolerate the service long enough to finish it. Or it's a terrible fan service show and the bars of light are making it too annoying to watch until the BD release...

R

I'm not sure I've ever actually actually dropped something intentionally. I've dropped things by way of pausing watching half way through and never got round to finishing, but I don't think I've ever seen something so bad or unenjoyable it hasn't made me want to watch any more.

My lifetime dropped list on physical media is something like this:

New Gall Force
As much as it pains me to do this Rui, your name must go on ze list. Gall Force is a treasure. Unless you mean Gall Force Revolution, which I've never actually watched because like Dirty Pair Flash and Bubblegum Crisis 2040, I'm just disgusted with the character redesigns.

Last edited:
I think this is more for people who stream and I still haven't started streaming just yet. Mainly coz I watch everything dubbed. So I'm just waiting for Funi Now to launch the PS3/4 apps. Although PS4 browser seems to load the pages so might try and see if it works, maybe this weekend.

Anyway I was a blind buyer of physical releases, when I was in anime mode which is usually this time of the year (I think it's the dark nights) I'd buy quite a few shows but I only bought shows that looked appealing to me. The show that I watched the most of was Wolfs Rain and I forced myself to keep watching but it never clicked and despite only have one ep left to watch I just didn't bother with it. I just thought it was a waste of 20-25mins.

Others I've dropped:
Space Dandy
Bleach (too long/got bored)
Naruto (too long/got bored)
Chrono Crusade
Claymore
Master Keaton
Mushishi
Ninja Scroll TV
Texnolyze
Tokko
Trinity Blood
Shigurui Death Frenzy
Yugo the Negotiator

After reading that list, not surprised most of them got dropped. I'm tempted to give Claymore another go though.

Sure there'll be more I've dropped byput this was what was on my ANN anime list

I think this is more for people who stream and I still haven't started streaming just yet. Mainly coz I watch everything dubbed. So I'm just waiting for Funi Now to launch the PS3/4 apps. Although PS4 browser seems to load the pages so might try and see if it works, maybe this weekend.

Anyway I was a blind buyer of physical releases, when I was in anime mode which is usually this time of the year (I think it's the dark nights) I'd buy quite a few shows but I only bought shows that looked appealing to me. The show that I watched the most of was Wolfs Rain and I forced myself to keep watching but it never clicked and despite only have one ep left to watch I just didn't bother with it. I just thought it was a waste of 20-25mins.

Others I've dropped:
Space Dandy
Bleach (too long/got bored)
Naruto (too long/got bored)
Chrono Crusade
Claymore
Master Keaton
Mushishi
Ninja Scroll TV
Texnolyze
Tokko
Trinity Blood
Shigurui Death Frenzy
Yugo the Negotiator

After reading that list, not surprised most of them got dropped. I'm tempted to give Claymore another go though.

Sure there'll be more I've dropped byput this was what was on my ANN anime list

Out of interest, how many episodes did you give Claymore? I was unimpressed by the first two or three episodes, but once the whole flashback arc starts, it actually gets really good IMO.

If something doesn't interest me and it looks extremely unlikely that it will start interesting me any time soon then I'll drop it. This can be a few seconds into the anime to the penultimate episode of a series. I drop perhaps a quarter of all series that I try, but then I try more things than most people do. I'd much rather try lots of series and drop a lot of them than try far fewer and drop far fewer but miss out on a lot of hidden gems as well.

Out of interest, how many episodes did you give Claymore? I was unimpressed by the first two or three episodes, but once the whole flashback arc starts, it actually gets really good IMO.

It was quite some time ago but I'd say it was at least 10. I do vaguely remember my viewing getting interrupted. I really like to watch a show from start to finish and not watch any thing else in between (Well I mean that time slot when the little man goes to bed :)) So could have been that. I think I was slightly disappointed by the action. There was a lot of slicing shots iirc and I wanted to see the blade go through the Yoma rather than a slice, then the after effect it had on them. Hope that make sense

Last edited:
There's very little I drop, as I'm quite picky about what I watch. I dropped Naruto because I couldn't stand Naruto himself, Bleach because it was boring (I preferred the manga but only the Soul Society arc). I'd like to get back into One Piece but it's just so long...

st_owly's Anime List - MyAnimeList.net

Phi Brain - Bored me shitless
Haruhi-chan - the humour just did not work for me
Tsubasa Chronicle - they dragged what was an exciting manga out to the speed of a glacier and ruined Sakura's character
I don't even remember why I dropped the other 2.

It was quite some time ago but I'd say it was at least 10. I do vaguely remember my viewing getting interrupted. I really like to watch a show from start to finish and not watch any thing else in between (Well I mean that time slot when the little man goes to bed :)) So could have been that. I think I was slightly disappointed by the action. There was a lot of slicing shots iirc and I wanted to see the blade go through the Yoma rather than a slice, then the after effect it had on them. Hope that make sense

Ah, gotcha. Still, I'd recommend giving it another go. I liked it anyway :p

First of all congrats on becoming a father! Many adventures and good times to come.

From your list, I'm quite surprised at someone dropping when they cry after just 1 episode, I know that it gripped me right from the first episode but they hum. Also, you dropped Madoka without even watching it! ;) I get it, It's sickly Magic girl garbage from the first few eps but it's all right by the end...

Anyway as for me, I haven't dropped many throughout the years but the one I remember most is Beck. I got to episode 18 and realised I wasn't really watching it, just it's on and I'm in the same room. I guess its cause I'm not that into music and they just kept throwing band names and references at me. Also, the music they played was pretty rubbish and I had given up trying to like any of the characters by that point. Just wasn't my cuppa tea.

Thanks! Fun times are coming :)

About When they cry, I was looking forward to try it since it has good reviews overall everywhere but man I cant stand those cute little girls. Its just not my thing at all. And the same applies do Madoka, though I have watched I believe, at least 3 episodes (which is now correct on MAL, for some reason it was 0 lol). I did try Madoka and I want to believe I even got beyond episode 3 but couldnt go on.

Beck is one of my favourite but we cant all like the same right? :D

I think the only shows I've dropped are Baccano and FMA: Brotherhood, I'll never get those 5 mins I spent watching Baccano back.

As much as it pains me to do this Rui, your name must go on ze list. Gall Force is a treasure. Unless you mean Gall Force Revolution, which I've never actually watched because like Dirty Pair Flash and Bubblegum Crisis 2040, I'm just disgusted with the character redesigns.

I'm sorry ;_; I don't know whether it was the dub or the execution itself but I just couldn't get into it at all and deeply resented my purchase of the tape. I think I made it into some kind of ritual sacrifice.

I also like Dirty Pair Flash (not as much as the proper DP of course), so I probably belong on your list regardless. BGC 2040 can get stuffed, though. The only worthwhile part of that was the ED song.

R

It's a funny thing, I don't really dislike the character designs of those shows per se, but it's the fact the originals are so much more appealing to me. I guess it's a bit like seeing a character played by an actor you really like recast with someone else in the role.

It's a funny thing, I don't really dislike the character designs of those shows per se, but it's the fact the originals are so much more appealing to me. I guess it's a bit like seeing a character played by an actor you really like recast with someone else in the role.

They were a lot more, um, generic somehow. The originals had a very distinctive atmosphere which was pretty much eradicated entirely with the remakes. I liked Cutey Honey Flash too, but she's had so many reimaginings at this point that it doesn't feel as heartless to say that. Lodoss was weird because a lot of people went crazy about the television version but I was still in mourning for the beauty of the previous series and couldn't bring myself to watch the update for years and years. Though I did eventually finish and enjoy it so I guess that's the opposite of dropping something.

The original RoLW was still better than the TV series.

R

I don't drop many shows as i tend to blind buy most of the shows i watch so i only drop a show if it really isn't clicking with me. The shows i've dropped (well according to MAL) are:

Arakawa Under the Bridge
Dance Under the Vampire Bund
Noir
Ouran High School Host Club
Persona 4 the Golden Animation
Saiyuki
Vampire Knight
Yuki Yuna is a Hero

Back