How anal are you?

Hawthorns

Student Council President
How anal are you guys when it comes to your collections? This topic is mainly inspired bya friend of mine and the 'Dedicated Slipcover' thread over on Bluray.com

These guys are dedicated to tracking down missing slipcovers from their collections and buying/selling them on ebay. Generally getting all giddy over pieces of cardboard.

A friend of mine literally will only buy a bluray if it comes with (or he can track down) a slipcover, because "normal cases look cheap and tacky." I believe he even buys blurays simply because they have a slipcover, he's buying the slipcover, not the film. We both recently bought 'Tangled' through the Disney Movie Reward program and he has since learned (through someone else on Bluray.com) that they're arriving without slipcovers, and for this reason "it's going straight on ebay unless I can get one cheap." Is it just me or is this too far and bordering on pathetic?

However, I'll admit that I think slipcovers are nice when I get them but I won't go out of my way to track one down or buy something simply because it comes with a slipcover. I also like all of my mangas/dvds/blurays and the like to be in good/perfect condition and have gone out of my way to replace some which have been damaged.

So, how anal are you?

i love my animes and would never sell them
and i would replace or get fixed a damaged disc if necessary
blue rays nice but iv only got a multi player dvd

While I don't have a slipcover fetish, I do have a a very low tolerance for poor cover design. Inconsistency within a series of DVDs is the worst.

The fact that I could design better, more consistent cover art than actual paid designers using my home computer is massively irritating to me. If people are being paid to do something, they should at least be able to do as good a job as someone who'd happily do it for free. Just *how hard* is it for these people to create a basic DVD cover template in Photoshop which ensures that things like company logos and ratings stickers remain in the same place on each cover? Surely it's just a matter of creating a single layer with these things on, pressing "save" and then loading it up every time you design a cover? Do they not even *look* at the previous volume's cover before starting on the next?

I would like to take this opportunity to offer to produce these templates, gratis, for any anime distributor in the UK. I'll make them in my lunch break tomorrow.

I discard 90% of my slipcovers only keeping especially nice or LE ones, but I never leave them on the dvds. My shelf is all plastic (except Code Geass...).

I'm more anal about dvd spines lining up. I hate the theatrical LOTR dvds for this, Pirates of the Caribbean too. It ruins the "whole collection" feel. I love Star Wars for lining up so perfectly :p

edit:
ayase said:
While I don't have a slipcover fetish, I do have a a very low tolerance for poor cover design. Inconsistency within a series of DVDs is the worst.

The fact that I could design better, more consistent cover art than actual paid designers using my home computer is massively irritating to me. If people are being paid to do something, they should at least be able to do as good a job as someone who'd happily do it for free. Just *how hard* is it for these people to create a basic DVD cover template in Photoshop which ensures that things like company logos and ratings stickers remain in the same place on each cover? Surely it's just a matter of creating a single layer with these things on, pressing "save" and then loading it up every time you design a cover? Do they not even *look* at the previous volume's cover before starting on the next?

I would like to take this opportunity to offer to produce these templates, gratis, for any anime distributor in the UK. I'll make them in my lunch break tomorrow.

You sir... are a god among insects :p

In response to slipcover fetishists: get a life. The stuff above bugs me but I won't boycott dvds for not lining up. I'll certainly complain about it for years but it won't stop me buying a good movie.

To a degree yes;

I have to have the first volumes going from left to right (vol 1, vol 2, vol3 ect ect) which is normal i guess, However they all have to stand flush with eachother at the very front but not over the edge of the shelf.

left storage area is contains the following; bottom row is shows i've seen and completed. top row is series i'm still going through. the right storage area is boxsets and full series with films (so for instance, all the naruto and shippuden then the films after it) each time i get another naruto i have to watch it asap and move more from the right area to the left area.... end up jumbling things round.

once its all in place though, i try not to touch it at all.

ayase said:
Quick, someone Tweet this to Manga UK! That said, the last multiple-volume series I bought from them was Bamboo Blade, and the spines line up perfectly. Fingers crossed for Birdy...

If the spines are really bad, like xxxholic, I will actively avoid buying the DVDs. I'd rather import or wait for a complete collection. Minor inconsistencies I'd just moan about.

Yeah, when it comes to my DVDs I like to have them in chronological order at least and sometimes alphabetical too. I don't really have enough of them though or the space to display them properly so they just get hidden away until I have more room. However, all of my manga are on identical bookshelves and in alphabetical order.

I can understand the annoyance of not having matching spines but for the time my anime DVDs aren't on display I can live with it :p

Fab and Ayase, your thoughts on the darker than black singles then? they don't match up with the picture on the spines, however if you pull the second one down abit then they match up. its not a major problem to me from a glance... would that still bug you guys?

Sparrowsabre7 said:
You sir... are a god among insects :p
That's what I've always maintained.

@Tachi - The DTB spines are among the worst of the worst; the laziest of the lazy. Not only are they inconsistent, but someone actually made the decision to spread artwork across three spines and *still* no-one bothered to put any measures in place to make sure they lined up!

I'm not majorly fussed about the box, as long as the package inside is valuable/worthwhile. I would prefer if the box looks great from the get-go, but I aint going to go out the way to buy something for what I see as an extra. (Okay, LE stuff is another thing, as you pay for everything in the box set inclusive, and it's usually small intricate items that serve a particular purpose outside the box/dvd set.)

Theres a whole forum out there dedicated to people who buy sealed games and keep them sealed, I always found it rather amusing.

RivaOni said:
Theres a whole forum out there dedicated to people who buy sealed games and keep them sealed, I always found it rather amusing.

I wouldn't usually judge, but I think that just might be the definition of a waste of money! But then I guess its kinda like those peeps who kept their Star Wars toys in the boxes and now they sell for big money, so who knows maybe in twenty years these guys will be laughing all the way to bank....very strange indeed what people will pay money for.

vashdaman said:
RivaOni said:

I wouldn't usually judge, but I think that just might be the definition of a waste of money! But then I guess its kinda like those peeps who kept their Star Wars toys in the boxes and now they sell for big money, so who knows maybe in twenty years these guys will be laughing all the way to bank....very strange indeed what people will pay money for.

With toys there's a collector element, there's a bonafide defined collection to complete. With games there's pretty much zero sense... that said, the odd game can become rare, but in the current 360/ps3/wii generation it's unlikely. Gamecube games can go for pretty high prices new though, ESPECIALLY Resident Evil stuff (excluding 4)

Ok, but then why do they need to have it unopened. Is it some kind of baffling neurotic disorder, where they can't have anything second hand?

vashdaman said:
Ok, but then why do they need to have it unopened. Is it some kind of baffling neurotic disorder, where they can't have anything second hand?

I thought I just said why? =S Some games, or indeed anything, which becomes rare may increase in value, especially new (just look at some of the prices for new out of print anime for example) so I guess their theory is eventually all games will be rare at some point... it's still dumb though.

I've always been of the mentality that things should be used for what they were made for, not left in boxes. (or at least not SEALED in them, DVDs and games obviously need to be in boxes, or a CD wallet if you're some kind of heathen =P

Thread title feels quite dangerous to answer, tbh. :S

But seriously, I do like buying LEs and the like where possible, and will pay over the odds if I missed out on a First Press item with a Japanese release or somesuch... but the slipcover example as mentioned in the OP is waaaaaaay out there imo.

Back