H1N1 flu

chaos said:
SundayMorningCall said:
Otaku-san said:
SundayMorningCall said:
but dont listen to me, im not some fearmongering numpty from the media, what do i know, i actually like facts, silly me, huh?

yess you silly silly girl, what you thinking trying to make us feel at ease

sheesh :roll:

actually, im a boy, lol!

Oh the horror!!

Do I have swine flu?

lol at the post and the link, why did you think im a girl, lol?

SundayMorningCall said:
chaos said:
SundayMorningCall said:
Otaku-san said:
SundayMorningCall said:
but dont listen to me, im not some fearmongering numpty from the media, what do i know, i actually like facts, silly me, huh?

actually, im a boy, lol!

Oh the horror!!

Do I have swine flu?

Maybe, just maybe, cause you have a female avatar ;)

Spyro201 said:
SundayMorningCall said:
chaos said:
SundayMorningCall said:
Otaku-san said:
SundayMorningCall said:

actually, im a boy, lol!

Oh the horror!!

Do I have swine flu?

that simple? lol, if you like i can change it, Haruhi rocks though :)

SundayMorningCall said:
Spyro201 said:
SundayMorningCall said:
chaos said:
SundayMorningCall said:
Otaku-san said:
SundayMorningCall said:

actually, im a boy, lol!

Oh the horror!!

Do I have swine flu?

that simple? lol, if you like i can change it, Haruhi rocks though :)

Not as hard as Chun Li rocks. 8) :p

Hmm..*looks at own Avatar* Screen name James and a Female Avatar.. Should I be scared for myself?

Oh and lol at the Link, I love how the item is out of stock

JamesX said:
Hmm..*looks at own Avatar* Screen name James and a Female Avatar.. Should I be scared for myself?

Oh and lol at the Link

well, mine is now Keitaro Urashima from Love Hina, hope that ends the confusion!

ayase said:
Spyro201 said:
SundayMorningCall said:
why did you think im a girl, lol?

:eek:

::feels own chest::

::has mixed feelings of relief and disappointment::
I just woke a neighbour up with my laughter.... =D

JamesX said:
Oh and lol at the Link, I love how the item is out of stock
The mask was selling for 79 dollars just an hour ago. When I've seen the link first, it was 20 dollars.. the speed they were marking it up amazed me.

JamesX said:
Rui said:
Spyro201 said:

Wait a second, that was the reason people used to assume I was a guy before my Roy avatar!

R

Well according to Spyro's logic you're a Cat!
Everyone knows Rui is a cool cat! :p

@chaos - Thank you, I'm here all week! :p

And since this has gone careering wildly off topic I'll try and go some way towards righting it...
CitizenGeek said:
I think you're being far too casual about this, ayase. The reason we didn't all die of bird flu is because the media along with world governments and NGOs more or less freaked out about the potential harm it could cause and dealt with the issue by informing people and using their resources to keep it under control.
I admit I have a pretty cavalier attitude about a lot of things people take seriously. But the way I look at it, life's too short to spend worrying about bad things which could happen- especially if there's about to be a full scale 'flu pandemic. Even if I thought it was likely to happen I still wouldn't do anything about it. If there is no pandemic, then the world will carry on as normal. If there is, most people here in Britain have a very good chance of survival given or standard of healthcare and medication.

ayase said:
CitizenGeek said:
I think you're being far too casual about this, ayase. The reason we didn't all die of bird flu is because the media along with world governments and NGOs more or less freaked out about the potential harm it could cause and dealt with the issue by informing people and using their resources to keep it under control.
I admit I have a pretty cavalier attitude about a lot of things people take seriously. But the way I look at it, life's too short to spend worrying about bad things which could happen- especially if there's about to be a full scale 'flu pandemic. Even if I thought it was likely to happen I still wouldn't do anything about it. If there is no pandemic, then the world will carry on as normal. If there is, most people here in Britain have a very good chance of survival given or standard of healthcare and medication.

I must add that if that was the case and advance warning prevented Europe from dying of bird flu, then how can we explain all third world country population surviving?

On top of that ayase's comment about having or not a pandemic is true. There is no way to avoid one, if it is to happen, it will regardless of the quantity of propaganda you do. The only thing I can see happening right now is tamiflu selling like hot cakes yet again, people hurriyng to the GP / doctor because they think they have swine flu, which then overload the system and might lead some serious cases to have less attention than they actually need.

chaos said:
I must add that if that was the case and advance warning prevented Europe from dying of bird flu, then how can we explain all third world country population surviving?

On top of that ayase's comment about having or not a pandemic is true. There is no way to avoid one, if it is to happen, it will regardless of the quantity of propaganda you do. The only thing I can see happening right now is tamiflu selling like hot cakes yet again, people hurriyng to the GP / doctor because they think they have swine flu, which then overload the system and might lead some serious cases to have less attention than they actually need.

Wow, there is so much wrong with what you've just said.

Third world countries weren't affected because travel to and from Asian and Western countries that had outbreaks of the flu were relatively tiny. It was much easier to control it because so few people travel to Africa from the US, Canada, Europe and Asia.

"There is no way to avoid one"? Eh, wtf? Of course you can avoid it, and of course you try to avoid it. SARS didn't just decide of it's own accord to go away. Human attempts to avoid a SARS pandemic are what avoided the pandemic.

I don't understand referring to potentially life-saving medical information as "propaganda", either.

Tamiflu isn't going to cure you of swine flu.

/facepalm

CitizenGeek said:
Tamiflu isn't going to cure you of swine flu.
No, but "If a person becomes sick with swine flu, antiviral drugs can make the illness milder and help the patient recover faster. They may also prevent serious flu complications." So in other words, you're a lot less likely to die if you take it.

And if the government really thought we were in another potential 1918 situation, shouldn't they have stopped people flying back from Mexico as well as stopping them going there? There hasn't exactly been much of an attempt at containment...

chaos said:

Bob Geldof.

Bah, I'm not worried. It'll probably take it's time getting where I live if it ever infects a substantial amount of the population.

I think it'd be worse if someone with the flu came in and passed through the airport (due to neglect rather than anything else), went into a big city and pass it around the masses. This would spread eventually elsewhere, but it's still going to be a rare case of it hitting the more rural areas...
So unless it goes dramatically wrong at check-in, or someone from countries like Germany/France etc that have these known cases examined then catches it off someone before the checks and then flies here... No problem for me. (Gosh, that was stretching out a situation...)

I think the media have milked this, as they do. It's nice to know there's an epidemic, and be warned that places may be infected... But for Pete's sake! I dont care if "2 people have been checked for the flu at (insert country/ies), but they were clean." Say "That has been a confirmed outbreak in -such and such-, and it is best advised that travellers do not go there/take precautions." Gives the feeling that it's a slow working day at Sky News or at the BBC.

Chaz said:
Bah, I'm not worried. It'll probably take it's time getting where I live if it ever infects a substantial amount of the population.

I think it'd be worse if someone with the flu came in and passed through the airport (due to neglect rather than anything else), went into a big city and pass it around the masses. This would spread eventually elsewhere, but it's still going to be a rare case of it hitting the more rural areas...
So unless it goes dramatically wrong at check-in, or someone from countries like Germany/France etc that have these known cases examined then catches it off someone before the checks and then flies here... No problem for me. (Gosh, that was stretching out a situation...)

I think the media have milked this, as they do. It's nice to know there's an epidemic, and be warned that places may be infected... But for Pete's sake! I dont care if "2 people have been checked for the flu at (insert country/ies), but they were clean." Say "That has been a confirmed outbreak in -such and such-, and it is best advised that travellers do not go there/take precautions." Gives the feeling that it's a slow working day at Sky News or at the BBC.

The media really does need to calm down with this story inform the public about precautions and answer questions and move on breaking news is not two people have gone to hospital for a check up.

Just recieved an email from our trust.

It seems that HR are talking about cancelling all long term and short term leave until the epidemic passes.

im sorry, but when it comes to interrupting my time off....the NHS can go take a flying fcuk at a donut.

Back