Gurren Lagann to be released on Blu-Ray

Ian Wolf

Harem King
AUKN Staff
Anime Limited have announced that they will release the highly acclaimed mecha series Gurren Lagann will brought out as both a complete DVD box set and a two-part Blu-Ray collection.

The DVD collection is to be released in autumn, with the Blu-Ray release date to be confirmed once pre-orders go live.
Anime Limited's president Andrew Partridge said in a press release: "Gurren Lagann marks an exciting addition to our growing catalogue. We're very excited to bring this to anime fans in the UK".

Synopsis

In his skyless cavern of a village Simon toils daily, drilling holes to expand his stifling little world, until one day he makes an extraordinary discovery: a small glowing drill-bit and the man-sized mecha it activates. Before he can give it a second thought Simon's dragged into a plot to break through to the surface by the local gang leader Kamina, only to have the ceiling come crashing down on top of them under the weight of a giant monster! It somehow falls onto the boisterous Kamina and cowardly Simon to defend their village, but once they defeat the monster, what awaits the duo on the surface world?
Source

Would much prefer a single BD boxset as opposed to it being released in 2 parts. I just don't like to see a single series split-up on my shelf, lol.

megagold5 said:
Would much prefer a single BD boxset as opposed to it being released in 2 parts. I just don't like to see a single series split-up on my shelf, lol.

I know what you mean but on the Manga UK podcast they said if there's no complete collection in Japan for the Blu-ray , they won't let you release one elsewhere and they also said that compete collections are very rare in Japan. So it will probably happen a lot.

I'm excited for this. A few years back the sheer rabid nature of the Gurren fanbase really turned me away from the series. It's died down a hell of alot since then so I'm thankful there's a way for me to give the series a chance now I'm more open to it.

robot monkey said:
Will this release include the films as I don't think they have ever been released in the UK before?

Hmm, I'm thinking probably not. We could perhaps see them released stand alone I guess

Nice to see this show back in the uk again. Not that I am not impressed by the licenses Andrew but I was wondering if you have any new shows that the uk hasn't had before to tell us about soon?

devilrules666 said:
Nice to see this show back in the uk again. Not that I am not impressed by the licenses Andrew but I was wondering if you have any new shows that the uk hasn't had before to tell us about soon?

I sure do - in fact keep an eye out today in part :3...

But yes, as a whole my focus is only on AAA TV series for me and I know of at least 3 projects that are not announced yet for late 2013 / Q1 - Q2 2014 that are of interest for example. Can't comment yet but I have to stay focussed, TV series are huge investments and often take longer to release so more cash out of your cashflow with no return.

Example - even if you pay say $1,000 / EP for the UK* in advance - for a 26 episode show you just committed $26,000 that you know you will not see back immediately. Even if you had a lucrative simulcast platform then you're unlikely to make back the MG in the first year anyway UK-side due to simple viewing stats.

Now after this you may have to wait anywhere up to two years for a US partner to dub the show - or if you're super impatient you can pay $6,000 - 8,000 easily / EP to dub it yourself. Which would be another $156,000 off the bat for a 26 ep series, something you can't hope to make back from the UK and profit.

So basically when starting up I have to focus on quality but shows that are in some way available either subtitled-only or have a dub from somewhere else. It's not because I necessarily do not want new TV series - but movies, while a much higher initial fee, are possible to release under 1 year after acquisition if all factors play in your favour.

That's all for this episode of Andrew explains xD. Hope it was interesting and explains the logic :).

Very best,

Andrew

* Actually, new shows that are good cost far more than this often, which is a real issue as often it does not reflect the market size.

That makes sense. I'm all for sub only releases of things which wouldn't be viable to dub, and I hope the UK market keeps getting sub only releases.

How viable is it for a 26 episode show to make back $26,000? (obviously there's other costs as well, like distribution, BBFC etc) Considering most people don't even pay RRP for a set, I'd think it's probably quite difficult, no?

Exactly, which is why I'm fine with you releasing a fair amount of movies first as they are more profitable in comparison to TV series. Don't worry Andrew, we're behind you every step of the way :)

Typically I bought Gurren Lagann earlier this year, but if this release is pretty and I find it enjoyable (Yes, Yes, I haven't seen Cowboy Bebop and Gurren Lagann) I will double dip.

Edit: I'd be interested in knowing about that too

While we're asking Andrew stuff...:D

You mentioned lucrative simulcast platforms; I know that Funi in particular is very keen on developing this side of their business in the US. Are there any plans for getting the classic TV shows Anime Limited has been grabbing onto some streaming services to squeeze some more revenue out of them (even though, I presume, using a third party service to host episodes reduces the financial gains), or is that something that's a way off yet?

I'd personally really like it if I could point my less hardcore fan friends towards legal streaming to check out unfamiliar shows instead of lending them my discs, and in that respect something like Crunchyroll (best for me) or Netflix (seems popular) would be best since there's already a mobile infrastructure in place. Heck, I'm so lazy that I sometimes check episodes I already own on Crunchyroll to clarify some plot point rather than digging out the physical discs.

R

It really makes you realise how difficult it all is, there's just so much to take into consideration. Even per show you would have to think it all out each time. I feel a lot of respect towards you Andrew, you keep us informed and you work hard for quality releases. I agree with supporting you every step of the way!!
No doubt Cowboy Bebop and Gurren Lagann will earn buys from me too. I haven't seen them either but that's why this is great! It helps people like me have a chance to see all these classic shows :D Sub-only is also fine by me!

st_owly said:
That makes sense. I'm all for sub only releases of things which wouldn't be viable to dub, and I hope the UK market keeps getting sub only releases.

How viable is it for a 26 episode show to make back $26,000? (obviously there's other costs as well, like distribution, BBFC etc) Considering most people don't even pay RRP for a set, I'd think it's probably quite difficult, no?

The UK market is too small to support much in the way of Sub only titles as it's a fraction of a fraction. Certainly if you want to reach out to wider market you need to a dub release.

I do buy sub only releases but I tend to find that they distract from the process of viewing.

Anime Limited
Hi everyone! Seeing as it's Friday & you all have been so very nice to us with all the lovely comments after our announcement of Gurren Lagann earlier in the week, we thought we'd give you some more.

With your copy of TTGL on blu-ray, you will now get the 2 TTGL movies AND the parellel works! That's right - we're throwing in all those extras with the set! These will be split between the 2 blu-ray sets. How & what will be where, we're still waiting on licensor approval. But rest assured, you'll be getting all the goodies with your blu-ray copy of Gurren Lagann! AND it won't be $500 ;)

Happy Friday everyone!

anime_andrew said:
if you're super impatient you can pay $6,000 - 8,000 easily / EP to dub it yourself. Which would be another $156,000 off the bat for a 26 ep series, something you can't hope to make back from the UK and profit.
You could ask for volunteers to dub it in their spare time. I quite like the idea of an AUKN dub cast...

GolGotha said:
Anime Limited
Hi everyone! Seeing as it's Friday & you all have been so very nice to us with all the lovely comments after our announcement of Gurren Lagann earlier in the week, we thought we'd give you some more.

With your copy of TTGL on blu-ray, you will now get the 2 TTGL movies AND the parellel works! That's right - we're throwing in all those extras with the set! These will be split between the 2 blu-ray sets. How & what will be where, we're still waiting on licensor approval. But rest assured, you'll be getting all the goodies with your blu-ray copy of Gurren Lagann! AND it won't be $500 ;)

Happy Friday everyone!
Not much else to say but:
2ij5eon.jpg

Back