Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter is live

I have to say these commentary tracks are not really the most exciting stretch goals to me. I don't even know who Bennett the Sage and Marc Swint are.

Bennet is an anime youtuber, take that as you will.
I'm not sure it really makes much of a difference, I followed the links through their names on the KS page and was none the wiser, so it's highly unlikely I'll be listening to it anyway. Commentaries are really only remotely interesting to me when it's people who were actually involved in the production. I don't really see the point in letting anyone else comment on it in an official capacity, they can do that on their blogs or on YouTube.

Doubt I'll back this, I've skipped all the Animeigo Kickstarters so far, nothing doing it for me.

Weird, I thought Gunsmith Cats would be something you're into. The animation is sublime, and cell animation always looks gorgeous on BD, and I know you're a fan of 90s stuff.

I certainly don't care about commentaries or any extras on a Blu-ray - I have about 800 live action movie Blu-rays and probably almost as many anime releases, and I have never once watched a single extra or commentary on any of those discs. I don't have the time or the interest in seeing them, and don't really see any value to them at all. But then, I don't read Manga at all, so the stretch goal for the 4 pages of panels is of little interest to me either.

I have the premium chipbox releases for all of the AnimEigo Kickstarters, this will be my fourth - and Gunsmith Cats is definitely the one I like the most out of all four. I never even saw the OVAs until the Kickstarter was announced, so I watched them online, and loved them. I pledged the Premium level to get just the chipboard box without any of the extra "goodies."

Last edited:
Some commentaries are good fun if the right people are involved. I adore Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg's commentary tracks on Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, in some places they're as funny as the movies themselves. Seen some screenshots floating around which caption Taika Waititi's Thor Ragnarok commentary, and that also looks pretty fun.

Kenichi Sonoda is my favourite artist/character designer of all time and Bubblegum Crisis one of my very favourite animes, so like @Girls wIth Guns I have all the premium AnimEigo Kickstarters (got GSC with +1 goody though, since I gotta have those patches to go with the others). Like @IncendiaryLemon says, I think the shows AnimEigo have released so far show cel animation at some of its absolute best as well.

I've never actually watched any of Bennet the Sage's videos, but he seems to ruffle a few feathers in high-ish places - one tweet I noticed was from a $200 Riding Bean supporter, promising to give them nothing if this Bennet guy was involved.

While I did end up backing this one, I would confess to not being the biggest fan of the GSC anime. It's amazing to look at, and historically interesting (I feel it was the last hurrah for crazy budget OVAs) but I think only the second episode really caught what I liked about the manga - something about the other two eps just didn't quite cut it.

I've never actually watched any of Bennet the Sage's videos, but he seems to ruffle a few feathers in high-ish places - one tweet I noticed was from a $200 Riding Bean supporter, promising to give them nothing if this Bennet guy was involved.

While I did end up backing this one, I would confess to not being the biggest fan of the GSC anime. It's amazing to look at, and historically interesting (I feel it was the last hurrah for crazy budget OVAs) but I think only the second episode really caught what I liked about the manga - something about the other two eps just didn't quite cut it.

I can only imagine it's due to his dislike of Evangelion :p

From Robert Woodhead's twitter.

DZsgUpbUMAEe9b4.jpg

If only I knew what the katakana said...

After countless Kickstarters I'm just not interested anymore. I know this guys pretty good at getting titles out.. BGC was a nice set

Just sick of Kickstarter

I’d be intrigued to see what single OVA episode with a budget of $10m would look like. Hand drawn at 60fps with car chase segments rotoscoped from footage of real classic and supercars being crashed?

Back