Guillermo Del Toro and HBO to make Live-action "Monster"

wow,amazing news this could be something very special indeed,Guillermo Del Toro could make this a modern tv masterpiece,just wish the anime could get a U.S. or UK release,still got the first set viz released years ago lets hope this creates more buzz and attention for the anime to get back on the market.

Was absolutely thrilled to see this news this morning. I love Urasawa, I love Monster, I love HBO and I love Del Toro so what's not to love?

I think Del Toro could really bring the unnerving horror element to this since he's so well versed in it. I would love to see it remain true and stay set in Germany and Tenma Japanese, but wouldn't be surprised to see it moved to New York, the Turkish areas turned to Latino and Tenma turned white and coming from Ohio or something.

If they keep Tenma Japanese they'll probably use someone like John Cho (though seeing him with long hair would be weird) or Daniel Dae Kim could work (I didn't think he'd really done anything since Lost but apparently he's in the Hawaii 5-0 remake so that would rule him out).

If they did make him caucasian though, I call for them to get Keanu Reeves. Would look great for it.

tumblr_static_monster_tenma2.jpg
Keanu-Reeves-Ode-to-Happiness-Book-Signing-keanu-reeves-23079970-901-1222.jpg

I don't know... I love Monster and I guess that this is the quickest way of getting a live-action TV version of it but I still have reservations. I think I would have preferred it if it was a Japanese production and not an American one. Nothing against US TV but Japanese television shows have a unique feel to them, off-kilter, dark and surreal without being heavy-handed. del Toro's presence doesn't impress me enough. I'm not totally against it but I don't feel any excitement either.

Hah, I remember having a conversation ages ago about the glut of live-action anime adaptations that were being announced, and deciding that Monster would make sense, but it would never happen. I'll be interested to see where they go with this; it seems like one of the few titles that stands a realistic chance of both being made and actually working.

I agree with Prof. One of the more realistic animes out there. In terms of what's involved, not the story so much :p i.e. no giant robots/ demons etc. I hope GDT at least has the sense to cast a Japanese lead, even if the rest of the cast probably won't all be German actors. Urasawa really paid attention to the German signs etc, so hopefully it will still be set in Germany mostly with the same level of care. It'll certainly be interesting to see who they cast in the main roles.

Damnit! Next time I'll check this section before I go posting my own threads on news. So excited! Love, love, love this combination of people working on it!

Professor Irony said:
I suppose resurrecting Toshiro Mifune through advanced cloning techniques is out of the question? :?

L9vgtVm.jpg

If only. Seriously though this is sounding great, I haven't read Monster but from I do know about it the combination it with HBO sounds like gold. I don't watch TV, but if I do then it damn well better be HBO, this surely can't fail.

I read this a couple days ago, it doesn't necessarily mean it'll go anywhere, but it's nice to see there is definitely interest in the series regardless. How far HBO and Guillermo will go hasn't really been said, so yeah. We'll see though, if they do make a full series of it, fantastic, if not. At least the idea was taken into consideration.

Arbalest said:
I read this a couple days ago, it doesn't necessarily mean it'll go anywhere, but it's nice to see there is definitely interest in the series regardless. How far HBO and Guillermo will go hasn't really been said, so yeah. We'll see though, if they do make a full series of it, fantastic, if not. At least the idea was taken into consideration.

Yeah, Del Toro is kind of notorious for picking up projects and then leaving for whatever reason... hasn't he got like five unfinished things on the go right now? the Lovecraft movie, that 'Insane' game, finishing off 'Pacific Rim', dropped out of directing the 'Hobbit' (still a producer though I think...)

I wonder get a soundtrack with David Sylvian in it. Other wise I suggest this for the opening:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back