Good dub, bad dub.

I will also support that Funi do excellent dubs. In particular, the Dragonball Z dub was great.

Also like the dubs for:
Cromartie
Ghost in the Shell SAC
Ranma 1/2
Slayers/Next/Try
Death Note

In some ways it can be argued that watching a show dubbed into your own language is closer to how it was meant to be enjoyed than watching it subtitled, because with subtitles your attention is split between the action on screen and reading the dialogue. However, this point is debatable, and I honestly do not know which side I would choose to take yet if any.

The only primary cast member in Hellsing imitating a British accent is K.T Gray, who plays Seras. Victoria Harwood (Integra), Ralph Lister (Walter), and Steven Brand (Anderson) are all British actors.

That I shall grant. Alas, the merits of numerous members of the supporting cast were offset by the means by which the central two characters were voiced.

Additionally, there's no Tube station in Queen's Gate, and zombies would need to manually and illegally open the emergency doors in order to move between carriages on the Jubilee Line. Furthermore, Crispin Freeman's character didn't possess a valid ticket or Travelcard, even though he was clearly a tourist. I digress.

I liked the dub on "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" which I wathced for the first time yesterday, I recognised 3 of the voice actors so that was cool.

Kirrimir said:
BlackWolf said:
cardybean said:
Gantz has quite good dubs. But as a rule, no dub is good.

That's a little unfair isn't it?

Absolutely not. I agree with Cardy on this.

I think all the dub hate is a little on the stupid side, I mean does it really matter for you? You stick to subs and let us who favour having the option of both keep dubs, they can only increase in quality from here.

I wonder if this argument rages in japan when they get stuff imported from america ("Don't dub this, we want to see it in its original format!")

BlackWolf said:
I wonder if this argument rages in japan when they get stuff imported from america ("Don't dub this, we want to see it in its original format!")
I don't think they would have a clue about this... Most likely they do get a lot of stuff dubbed into anyway. I believe the problem with dubs in the English world is that as traditionally english don't watch stuff in other languages, they don't have a huge voice over industry as other countries have.

so if that article is correct, then japanese prefer it in its original format. Intresting, doesn't change my view though :p Dubs and Subs for me, I'll just watch the one i can be bothered with at the time.

2% in it, barely outside statistical error :)

As for the 'more accurate' angle put forward by the sub lovers, how do you know its more accurate than the dub? ;) Even subs have to be reworded to make them sound right in English.

All your base are belong to us.

Because it's always the most direct translation possible that they use, as long as it still makes sense obviously. Also if it's subbed they aren't going to replace a Japanese joke with something to do with a hamburger ( i forgot which anime this was but it happened.)

They also don't have to sometimes lengthen / shorten scenes to make the words and cue's fit.

subs>dubs.

There's this thread on AOD about the Japanese licensor insisting that the dialogue in the Book of Bantorra be toned down for foreign consumption. The subs don't always match the original dialogue.

I'm bilingual, and have seen some subtitle travesties on Hindi films that remind me that not everything ought to be taken at face value.

EDIT: and I prefer subs to dubs.

He's talking about the scripts, Otaku... I think. Comparing them both. Chuck the dub scripts into the mix as well and you'll probably see your looking at basically the same thing.

This is the year 2010. And your still talking about 4Kids.

I prefer to watch dubs if they exist, but really it boils down to which one sounds better. I -have- encountered some horribly voiced anime even with the original japanese, it's not always one way. But dub makes it easier since I like to watch while having dinner and not miss any subtle things in the background due to reading. And not all subs are a direct translation, I've seen plenty where what I was reading wasn't what was being said, and I have seen joke changes even in subs. ^_^ (Just to touch some of the previous posts).

(Note, I probably won't be on to reply so it's just my statement on my preference. :p Life is busy atm.)

Just Passing Through said:
The subs don't always match the original dialogue.

I'm bilingual, and have seen some subtitle travesties on Hindi films that remind me that not everything ought to be taken at face value.
I'm used to watch some shows in more than one language / with diff lang subs to compare. Subs not always match the original.

If you're talking about fansubs them, you're mileage may vary an awful lot. Anyway, this discussion is useless. Who likes dubs will keep on watching dubs and who likes subs will keep on watching subs.
And this does not answer the original question as well.

Back