Ghost in the Shell Manga

Animated FatCat

Student Council President
Having recently got into Manga (Gantz, Battle Vixens are nice starters, don't ya think?), I've also recently got into Stand Alone Complex.

I've been reading up about the Ghost in the Shell Mangas, and they sound pretty cool. This site here is full of interesting stuff, and some of the artwork is amazing (no wonder the series and films look so good, if they've got Shirow's work for inspiration).

They're unsurprisingly expensive (14.99 and 19.99 on Play), and I'm thinking of getting them, but before I take the plunge, has anyone else read them, if you have, are they any good?

Yeah the first one is great the second foused too much on world buliding and looking good and the plot suffered but it was still pretty cool and well worth reading once anyway.

The First will not disapoint and you'll spot all the little bits that turned up in the various animes

Hi!

Hey WAIT! GITS TV is on sale in HMV and Play for £7.99 per volume! Why did you think it's expensive!

Oh yeah! And watch Innocence, it's amazing!

I got the manga this weekend... It is really great,I was suprised I was able to get it...the content is 18+ and for mature readers and Im 15.

KittySeras said:
I got the manga this weekend... It is really great,I was suprised I was able to get it...the content is 18+ and for mature readers and Im 15.

the content is 18+ for a reason, there are moments of nudity and ....lesbian sex :wink:

I enjoyed the manga but compared to the movies and Stand Alone Complex it's at the bottom of the list. Still the manga is worth it for Batous expression when he see's the Major in a lesbian sexy orgy and the chief riding away on a monkey bike. :lol:

BabyDaddy said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
Batous expression when he see's the Major in a lesbian sexy orgy

Plz, direct me to where I can purchase this. ;]

Note: The new (compact) version is the only one with the lesbian scene. I have the old, large-sized version and they took those three pages out, and changed the dialogue a little. So if it's (somewhat overrated :p ) girl action you're after be sure to check which version you're looking at.

Hmm. There are probably loads of manga stories with questionable sexual content but people riding monkey bikes? Not that's not something you don't see every day!

Back OT, what would anyone recommend as a starting point in the manga in terms of continuity? There appear to be more than one series of books (SAC, the new edition, Man/Machine Interface, and so on).

ConcreteBadger said:
Back OT, what would anyone recommend as a starting point in the manga in terms of continuity? There appear to be more than one series of books (SAC, the new edition, Man/Machine Interface, and so on).

I only recently found out about the SAC manga, I'd start with the new edition of the first manga where I started, I've still not finished MMI (too much technobabble but great art).

WTFDaveMustaine said:
I enjoyed the manga but compared to the movies and Stand Alone Complex it's at the bottom of the list. Still the manga is worth it for Batous expression when he see's the Major in a lesbian sexy orgy and the chief riding away on a monkey bike. :lol:

I'm in agreement, the first GITS manga was really funny and is full of interesting ideas, but the anime efforts took the material and made it way cooler. The films and SAC are stripped of the manga's humour (which is both a good and a bad thing). Also GITS 'Man Machine Interface' was a complete mess in terms of plot, which is a shame since the art works so nice.

Back