General TV/Movie News & Announcements

If this was a teaser released a year before the movie I wouldn't be concerned, but for a trailer coming three months before release there are a worrying number of effects that look worse than the 1999 original. The agent transformations in particular look like something an amateur Youtuber might slap together in After Effects for a laugh.

That said, I'm interested to see what direction this goes.

If this was a teaser released a year before the movie I wouldn't be concerned, but for a trailer coming three months before release there are a worrying number of effects that look worse than the 1999 original. The agent transformations in particular look like something an amateur Youtuber might slap together in After Effects for a laugh.

That said, I'm interested to see what direction this goes.

Wow I didn't realise it was so near to release!

Sadly I was more excited about it before this trailer. I'm just getting a feel there will be a lot of cheap throwbacks and little else.

Also that they didn't ask Fishburne to come back is a crime. I wonder if it is because they plan to use him as a trump card to draw people into a fifth film.

I'm just getting a feel there will be a lot of cheap throwbacks and little else.

Also that they didn't ask Fishburne to come back is a crime.
I suspect the movie is going to play around with the concept of identity, and no one will turn out to be quite what they seem. When you consider the elements of the original movie that can be read as a trans narrative, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it goes as far as people wearing the faces or memories of others as digital avatars, or all the characters being simulations.

As far as the current slate of franchise revivals go, I have a lot more hope for this one than Ghostbusters: Afterlife, since that does look like nothing more than weaponised nostalgia, but I think Dune will be better than both.

I suspect the movie is going to play around with the concept of identity, and no one will turn out to be quite what they seem. When you consider the elements of the original movie that can be read as a trans narrative, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it goes as far as people wearing the faces or memories of others as digital avatars, or all the characters being simulations.

As far as the current slate of franchise revivals go, I have a lot more hope for this one than Ghostbusters: Afterlife, since that does look like nothing more than weaponised nostalgia, but I think Dune will be better than both.

I hope you are right because that sounds really cool.

I'm very excited for Dune as it's one of my favourite books. I think Denis Villeneuve is very talented and will do a good job, but how good I will have to see. I don't think Arrival and Blade Runner are as good as his other films, but Dune is a little bit different from other sci-fi and it really depends on the characters to carry this one. The expectations are seriously high, I don't envy him!

Whilst I am talking sci-fi, you have probably seen that there will be a Foundation series as well. I am really excited for this one, even more so than what I am for Dune. Lots more hours in a series!

Last edited:
Whilst I am talking sci-fi, you have probably seen that there will be a Foundation series as well. I am really excited for this one, even more so than what I am for Dune. Lots more hours in a series!
Yes, it's just a shame that Foundation will be exclusive to Apple's streaming platform. I'm already subscribed to five (I was going to drop HiDive this month, but then they licensed Yuki Yuna season 3 🤷‍♂️ ), and I can't justify a sixth. I'll probably end up doing the same that I did with Disney+: wait until there's a few things I want to watch, subscribe for one month to binge them all, then cancel.

EDIT: I didn't realise it was so close to release. Looks great.

Keeping track of the ever-changing slate of upcoming DC movies was hard enough before the pandemic, and at this point I have almost no idea which ones are still getting made. I'm glad to see the Flash movie is definitely happening though. This first look teases a version of a character that I was not expecting to ever see again.

Happy Godzilla Day!

It's Godzilla's 67th birthday, and the 50th anniversary of the release of the divisive Godzilla vs Hedorah (aka. Godzilla vs the Smog Monster). In honour of this, Toho have uploaded a new short that sees Godzilla lay the smackdown on Hedorah for going one toke over the line on industrial fumes.

Those look to be the suits from 2004's Godzilla: Final Wars. I'm surprised they've lasted if they're the original shooting suits.

Love, Death and Robots 3 coming to Netflix on May 20th:

Some of the styles look very reminiscent of the older stories, I guess they generally use the same studios, and one is definitely a sequal of one of the episodes from season 1.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture was released in a rushed and unfinished state in 1979. It took 22 years for Robert Wise to be given the chance to go back and polish it in 2001, but his director's edition remained bound to DVD since the newly added CG effects were only rendered in SD. After another 21 years, and countless HD releases of the inferior theatrical cut, Paramount have finally re-redone the additional effects in 4K and the director's edition is coming to blu-ray and UHD on 5th September.

TMP is my favourite Star Trek movie. Sure, Wrath of Khan is fantastic, and is perhaps superior from a purely critical standpoint, but TMP is the only Star Trek movie that feels like hard SF to me. That plot of having to understand their way out of a problem instead of shooting it, the mesmerising visuals, the haunting music. I love it.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture was released in a rushed and unfinished state in 1979. It took 22 years for Robert Wise to be given the chance to go back and polish it in 2001, but his director's edition remained bound to DVD since the newly added CG effects were only rendered in SD. After another 21 years, and countless HD releases of the inferior theatrical cut, Paramount have finally re-redone the additional effects in 4K and the director's edition is coming to blu-ray and UHD on 5th September.

TMP is my favourite Star Trek movie. Sure, Wrath of Khan is fantastic, and is perhaps superior from a purely critical standpoint, but TMP is the only Star Trek movie that feels like hard SF to me. That plot of having to understand their way out of a problem instead of shooting it, the mesmerising visuals, the haunting music. I love it.

Nice!, I was wondering if the UK was gonna get this. I still have my DVD copy of the 2001 Directors Cut

Very pleased to read this. I haven't even seen any Star Trek film yet! I feel like I should watch all of the series first.

Very pleased to read this. I haven't even seen any Star Trek film yet! I feel like I should watch all of the series first.
The original series was episodic with no ongoing continuity or character growth, so it's not necessary to watch it before the movies. The one exception is the episode Space Seed, since the movie Wrath of Khan is a direct sequel to it. I would recommend watching the first six movies in order though, since they do have some ongoing plot elements.

The original series was episodic with no ongoing continuity or character growth, so it's not necessary to watch it before the movies. The one exception is the episode Space Seed, since the movie Wrath of Khan is a direct sequel to it. I would recommend watching the first six movies in order though, since they do have some ongoing plot elements.
Oh nice! Well I am definitely gonna skip that then. I will watch Space Seed and then I can watch the movie. In a shiny new edition as well, perfect!

Oh nice! Well I am definitely gonna skip that then. I will watch Space Seed and then I can watch the movie. In a shiny new edition as well, perfect!
Well the series is still fun, though personally I adore the "trilogy of series" as I call it way more (Next generation/Deep Space Nine/Voyager). Everyone has different oppinions about Star Trek shows though.

Well the series is still fun, though personally I adore the "trilogy of series" as I call it way more (Next generation/Deep Space Nine/Voyager). Everyone has different oppinions about Star Trek shows though.
The original Star Trek has some great episodes, though which ones people like tend to vary depending on what they want from the show. While I appreciate the drama in City on the Edge of Forever, I've never been a fan of the Enterprise crew showing up in 20th Century settings, which by time travel or the 'parallel evolution' hand-waving that excuses an alien world identical to prohibition-era Chicago or something. It's the hard SF, mystery, and military SF side of things that always appealed to me, with the likes of The Doomsday Machine, This Side of Paradise, or Balance of Terror. The latter in particular created the template for starship battles playing out like a tense game of cat-and-mouse between submarines, and remains one of the best examples of that style.

Next Gen probably has the most consistent quality once it gets past some teething problems in its first couple of seasons, and many of the best individual episodes in the franchise. DS9 works better when watched in bulk, since it's primarily a piece of long-form story-telling.

For anyone who isn't sick of Marvel movies yet, here's what the slate looks like up to the end of 2026. I'm looking forward to Secret Invasion and the new Captain America movie in particular. How Fantastic Four keeps making its way back to the big screen after being box office poison three times in a row is beyond me.

Back