General TV/Movie News & Announcements

Yami

Straw Hat Pirate
The Artist - a film that only ever won because of Harvey Weinstein - to Parasite, a film by a director whose English-language debut was suppressed by Weinstein who wasn't happy he didn't get to cut it to his wishes. Sweet.

Worth noting that Parasite has had the biggest ever opening for a foreign language film in the UK.

Last edited:

Stiivun

Stand User
First time a foreign language film won. The Artist won in 2011 and that was French, but was a silent film!
Thanks for the correction. An odd habit of mine to from time to time leave out an important word in a sentence, usually when I’m type a fast reaction, and don’t check what I wrote. Guess that defect is called Stiibunism 🤨😁

D1tchd1gger

Shinki
Thanks for the correction. An odd habit of mine to from time to time leave out an important word in a sentence, usually when I’m type a fast reaction, and don’t check what I wrote. Guess that defect is called Stiibunism 🤨😁
I do it too and only realise after I've pressed the Post button, then it's a quick scramble to press the Edit button before people read it 😅

Ian Wolf

Himouto
AUKN Staff
I piece of TV news that I can give - I've just been given a job by Remarkable TV as a question writer for House of Games and The Wall. I'm now working for Richard Osman and Danny Dyer - which is one weird Venn diagram.

ayase

State Alchemist
I piece of TV news that I can give - I've just been given a job by Remarkable TV as a question writer for House of Games and The Wall. I'm now working for Richard Osman and Danny Dyer - which is one weird Venn diagram.
That’s an interesting position Ian, congrats. I’m not much of a game show watcher but I wonder how they determine the difficulty of a question - Presumably there’s checks in place to make sure questions to win thousands of pounds aren’t really easy, but if they conducted surveys to find out what percentage chance the average person had of getting a question right, people would know what questions were coming.

Ian Wolf

Himouto
AUKN Staff
That’s an interesting position Ian, congrats. I’m not much of a game show watcher but I wonder how they determine the difficulty of a question - Presumably there’s checks in place to make sure questions to win thousands of pounds aren’t really easy, but if they conducted surveys to find out what percentage chance the average person had of getting a question right, people would know what questions were coming.
@Sarah I assume so to, but I'll learn more once I start the actual work.

Sarah

Staff
AUKN Staff
@Ian Wolf : The right man for the job - it sounds absolutely the right role for you and I wish you every success; it sounds like a really fun place to work! :)

zrdb

Dandy Guy, in Space
Didn't pay any attention to the oscars but I think the film I enjoyed the most in 2019 was Terminator-Dark Fate.

NormanicGrav

Yume no Shima Shinen Kōen
AUKN Staff
HMV First Edition range have two more titles incoming, both are Blu-ray only.

#3 is The Lighthouse
  • 1 Disc Blu-ray Edition - 1000 units
  • Exclusive Artwork Slipcase
  • 4 Artcards

#4 is Color Out of Space
  • 1 Disc Blu-ray Edition - 2000 units
  • UK only-artwork on double-walled Silver Board Slipcase
  • Poster
  • Limited Edition Color Out of Space book by H.P. Lovecraft, with behind the scenes images from the film

Ian Wolf

Himouto
AUKN Staff
Piece of Japan-related TV news: ITV and the singer Anne-Marie have apologised for a performance on Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway in which the hosts wore Japanese Rising Sun flag headbands.