General Politics Thread

I have to disagree with this as I think what we have now is organised, directed and enforced production line suffering. Although perhaps it is kind of deserved because people won’t stand up to it. I’m not convinced I think a smiling man (or woman) in a suit explaining to everyone they have to work for peanuts and freeze and enrich their landlords for the benefit of everyone above them in the social order, and that this is actually a good thing is any better (or really any different) than a feudal lord doing the same thing at the point of a sword. Our modern rulers are just less honest about their motives which are, and always have been, to enrich themselves at the expense of others.

Neither of those systems were particularly chaotic, they were both organised hierarchies with masters, authorities and servants. Lord/Knights/Peasants or Politicians/Police/Workers I think it will probably always be this way, because there are always people able to manipulate others, people who are easy to manipulate and people who’ll enforce the rules with violence if you give them a shiny uniform. Do I care what replaces the current system, or have any hope it would be any better? Not really. Thousands of years of history have shown it never is. But I would quite like to see the current rulers of the world torn down and made to suffer as they’ve made others suffer in one of those chaotic events we have from time to time. It would be cathartic, if nothing else. I find my manifesto now includes very little other than the word “revenge” writ large.

It is an attempt at organisation, but because it is in the interest of the few it does not work. The result is chaos that is for the most part behind closed doors, but it is so prevelant that it bleeds through in to what we can see on a societal level (wars, crime, poverty, all the bad stuff)

On an individual level, in the private life, you can see more chaos for what it is. When you analyze the individual lives of those affected by the above it is truly chaotic as a result of the failed organisation. This is what I mean by the concealment, the awful things happen under the surface, we all know about them, but what many don't know is they are far more prevalant than what we think.

Revenge is understandable, but I am sure you know already that it is only a brief feeling of victory before it is hollow.
I knew this would happen, I dread to think which of my medications I might be denied if I lived in the US now (I'm on at least 7 of them), and Trump is responsible for this, he stacked the supreme court with far-right misogynists who he knew would overturn Roe vs. Wade. Though I'm also pretty miffed about Biden's lack of decisive action on it overall. Some others might not care what happens to vulnerable women and other pregnant people (trans men, non-binary female assigned at birth people) in the US or countries affected by the increasingly draconian global gag rule thanks to Trump and many before him's foul foreign policies that result in women and girls in those countries commonly being repeatedly re-traumatised throughout life (female genital mutilation, child marriage to adult men, and forced birth on top of that), but I do and this makes me lividly angry.

What is happening in America is strange indeed. Their rulers have an entirely different electorate to deal with (control) so it manifests in these ways.

They've had to go really far into a world of fantasy, with the rise of the internet and the spread of information their only form of action is to spread as much disinformation as possible and for some reason also deliver on these hard-line policies.

I've thought a lot about it and why they'd do such a thing because there's little support for it from the general electorate. (Much like Brexit, nobody cared about the EU until we were repeatedly told that we should)

I read a theory that it's to create money for the courts, but I feel there has to be more to it than that. What I do know is that there are sociologists working hard to determine what benefits they can reap from such a policy because I don't for a second believe that the reason for it is anything to do with "pro-life".

@ayase
No apologies needed man, take your time.
Equally, I could ask you how waiting for your huge societal collapse that will shock people into action is coming along? I mean, it might well come along, but people still will need to take action, right, there will need to actually be some of that. You seem to be saying you want people to take action, and don't understand why they aren't taking action, but you aren't taking any action yourself either. And I assume you also aren't burning down job centres or embezzling hundreds of thousands. You might perhaps be more aware of the corruption poisoning our society and economy than the average joe you bemoan who does nothing and takes it, but surely that means you have less of an excuse to toe the line and do nothing but take it? But it basically sounds like that is what you're doing. Maybe the reason people serve their masters and fall in line is because they've given up hope like you have (and certainly you hear people saying stuff like "ah all politicians are corrupt but nothing will ever change" all the time)? I mean no offence! That's what I'm doing too, I'm really part of the problem and have my mind so full of my own personal problems and do nothing to really benefit any progressive movement, but it seems obvious to me that organisation and fighting back in the power of numbers (as in people numbers not financial numbers) is the only way out of this mess.

How many more crises do we have to watch unfold? We've been through a few pretty big shocks and partial economic and social collapses in my lifetime already! Your description of current day Britain in your post describes a pretty abject and collapsed society already, people are already being left for dead. Can it get worse, yes it can but If people aren't educated and galvanised into political activity nothing will ever get better as far as I see.

@ayase I just want to apologise in the case that my message came across as in any way insulting to you. That wasn't the intention at all. I just assumed you know me well enough to know that I think you're a 10/10 person despite our different approaches to hoping for change.

I am absolutely servile and under the boot of my tory masters who I do absolutely nothing to meaningfully combat save for, I don't know, "liking" a video by politics Joe on YouTube or something. But I'm grateful there are people stronger than me out there who in various different ways do fight to make the world better.

I was so close to going to that enough is enough rally a week or so back. I wish I could have even done that much. Hopefully another time.

@ayase I just want to apologise in the case that my message came across as in any way insulting to you. That wasn't the intention at all. I just assumed you know me well enough to know that I think you're a 10/10 person despite our different approaches to hoping for change.
Please don't worry about it Vash. It's virtually impossible to make it through the reactive armour bricks that now comprise my skin. I'll get back to this at some point but I've just been very busy dealing with the never-ending sh*tshow that is life.

Please don't worry about it Vash. It's virtually impossible to make it through the reactive armour bricks that now comprise my skin. I'll get back to this at some point but I've just been very busy dealing with the never-ending sh*tshow that is life.

FWIW I'm sorry if you're having a particularly hard time of it rn Ayase :/ <3

Now Truss has gone there are still stupid people wanting the always lying snob of an upper class unfunny clown in Johnson to return - he still is under investigation for misleading parliament

In my eyes, trying to pick between both the main parties is like trying to decide to eat poo or drink vomit, neither are that appealing.

Country is going to get a lot worse before it gets better, all the money given out during Covid has finally caught up

Sunak is pretty much the only choice and should have won the contest anyway.

At least he'll just be regular evil tory instead of evil tory on crack.

I hate to admit it, but I've gone from having ZERO interest in the Harry and Meghan drama, to finding myself sort of rooting for them despite myself. I mean yes they probably are daft as a pair of brushes, but at the same time anyone who is having literal army generals come out and say ridiculous things like "he's turned on his own country" I have to have some respect for. Probably in a similar contrarian way that some brexit voters were enjoying feeling like they were taking a swing at the political establishment, I am finding it delicious the way Harry is peeing off monarchists, the military, his family, the press, and the British public at large.

I hate to admit it, but I've gone from having ZERO interest in the Harry and Meghan drama, to finding myself sort of rooting for them despite myself. I mean yes they probably are daft as a pair of brushes, but at the same time anyone who is having literal army generals come out and say ridiculous things like "he's turned on his own country" I have to have some respect for. Probably in a similar contrarian way that some brexit voters were enjoying feeling like they were taking a swing at the political establishment, I am finding it delicious the way Harry is peeing off monarchists, the military, his family, the press, and the British public at large.
I'd have about as much time for the Harry & Meghan Show as anything else on the bill at the distracting celebrity gossip circus if it wasn't so damn pervasive in my newsfeed, but since it's nearly impossible to avoid this sh*t... I find it very hard to muster any sympathy for someone born into some of the most absolute privilege on Earth with a net worth in excess of £50m, who after freeing themselves from even the mild inconvenience of having to unveil plaques for a living could spend the rest of their lives quite literally however they like, yet choose to spend it complaining and playing the victim (and earning even more money doing so). All while the upper-middle class sorts who choose where to point the media spotlight clearly sympathise with the view that having mean things said about you while you wore a diamond tiara to your £30m wedding is the height of suffering. Frankly, I'd be willing to have the vilest slurs shouted at me for a couple of hours a day for the rest of my life for no more than a miserly million if it meant I never had to work or worry about money ever again. In fact I think one of the conditions for becoming a millionaire should be that you have a Running Man style collar installed and the moment you complain about your life being in any way hard or difficult, your head explodes. Also your wealth is transferred to a random person on benefits and your children left with nothing, like a more exciting version of the lottery.

Harry & Meghan, and their children, and their children's children etc. are never going to have to worry about heating their homes, paying their rent or being able to afford food and clothing and their "problems" have about as much relevance to the average person as the problems of a sea slug, and at least the sea slug keeps its grievances to itself.

Last edited:
What if they're born gay in a country where you can be executed for it or have a spinal cord injury that leaves them paralysed from the waist down, or they were just bereaved of someone they loved dearly? Still head exploding? Seems a lil harsh to me. Also what if their kids are like 5 or something? Wouldn't it make more sense to just not have anyone be vastly more rich than anyone else to begin with instead of exploding people's heads?

Wouldn't it make more sense to just not have anyone be vastly more rich than anyone else to begin with instead of exploding people's heads?
Absolutely it would, but I think out of fitting millionaires with exploding head collars or getting them to pay more tax, my scenario is the more achievable. :p

If he brings down an institution that provides comfort and sanctuary to an alleged sex offender who pays £12 million of mummy's money to keep his accuser quiet... then more power to Harry
What good would it actually do though? I doubt very much that the peasants would be given their land back, all that would happen is that 1000 years of history and tradition would be replaced with some "elder statesman" (probably someone like Blair) so they can live at the taxpayer's expense while using their pointless ceremonial position (given that we have a parliamentary rather than a presidential system) to continue to grift among the upper echelons of global society. Give me someone who was forced into that position by circumstances of birth over someone who actually desires it any day.

What good would it actually do though? I doubt very much that the peasants would be given their land back, all that would happen is that 1000 years of history and tradition would be replaced with some "elder statesman" (probably someone like Blair) so they can live at the taxpayer's expense while using their pointless ceremonial position (given that we have a parliamentary rather than a presidential system) to continue to grift among the upper echelons of global society. Give me someone who was forced into that position by circumstances of birth over someone who actually desires it any day.
Why would you want to replace the monarchy? Get rid of it. totally. Not needed.

Why would you want to replace the monarchy? Get rid of it. totally. Not needed.
Preferential as that might be, I think it's very unlikely. Presuming democracy doesn't collapse entirely, our system requires a head of state seperate to the PM. If that's not the monarch it would need to be a president, elected either by the people or by parliament. I don't particularly trust either to elect anyone deserving.

Back